Ripping "Me" off

Old August 27th 05, 02:21 PM
Astronomer Smith

Default Ripping "Me" off

Is it possible, and if so, how, to rip Windows Me off my system restore
cd or system drive D?

I have a Presario 7000 series and after I took a bunch of stuff off, it
works just fine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems in
a long time. Anyway, I recently bought a used laptop for fun, and since
I "supposedly" have a copy of Windows Me, I would like to be able to
install it on my laptop. I understand it is only supposed to be used on
the computer it was installed on, but...well...I would like to use it on
another computer.

I don't have the original Me program separately on a cd, but it is on
the restore CD. Is there a way I can copy the OS and burn it onto a new
CD by itself?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

Old August 27th 05, 04:49 PM
HH

No. There is no way to do that illegal act. The restore CD only restores the
Presario for which it is designed.
HH

Old August 28th 05, 03:51 PM
Astronomer Smith

That is just wrong to me. It is like saying you have something, but not
really.
I sort of understand the license thing, that I have a "right" to use it
only on the computer it was installed on, but, up until fairly recently,
Compaq and other companies included the OS on a CD, and some of the
other programs too.
So, in reality, I don't own a copy of Me, I'm using Compaq's copy until
my computer dies? Originally, I was under the impression that all the
software was included in the purchase price I paid for the computer to
begin with. I know they sure did brag and advertise about the load of
software as an incentive to buy the computer. Apparently, that is just
a gimmick to hook under informed people like me (at that time).
Live and learn. I know now, that I would have been better off to build
a computer and buy my own software.
It doesn't matter, I'm not mad or trying to whine (well, maybe a
little), it just seems that if you own something you should own it, and
be able to do what you want to with it - not own it for a limited time
or just own a non-existant thing that truly vanishes when part of it
becomes unusable. If I wanted that, I would have rented or leased a
computer. Hmmm, now that I think about it, that is sort of what I did!
Oh, by the way, no response is necessary, I'm just blowing off a little
frustration.

Old August 29th 05, 01:32 AM
Steve W.

How is it wrong. You bought ONE copy of the software to use on the
computer it was included with. Now you say you want to use that same
copy of software on a different computer while the computer it came with
is still working fine. That in itself is in violation of the terms of
use in the license agreement (has been the same way since win 98) Just a
fact. That OS WAS included in the price of the original computer it is
also tied to that computer. All of the prebuilt machines are the same
way. Now if you want to buy a copy and build a machine have fun with
it. Compaq hasn't included a standard OS disc for a LONG time just a
restore disc. Some of the others are now doing this as well.
--
Steve W.

Old August 29th 05, 11:32 AM
dannysdailys

No, it's not possible and I agree with you.

Your software is yours, not compaqs. You registered it, you paid for
it. And yes, you're not renting it.

I'd like to know why, when the computer dies, you can't sue for the
software. You should be able to because you own it.

Old August 29th 05, 12:36 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article ,
dannysdailys writes
No, it's not possible and I agree with you.

Your software is yours, not compaqs. You registered it, you paid for
it. And yes, you're not renting it.

I'd like to know why, when the computer dies, you can't sue for the
software. You should be able to because you own it.

You own the media on which the software is recorded, you own the PC on
which it runs, you have a licence to use the software, you do not own
the software. The licence has conditions attached to it, which you will
have agreed to before you started using the software (did you read the
EULA, before you clicked on the 'I agree' box?). If the licence says
that the software may only be run on the hardware with which it was
supplied, that is the enforceable condition, at law.

Microsoft own the software and sell you a licence to use it. If you
want to own the software you will need to offer Microsoft many billions
of dollars, and then you can start selling the licences to use the
software.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old September 1st 05, 05:11 PM
Astronomer Smith

So it is just like I am just renting the software for a indeterminate
amount of time - that is, until the computer dies or otherwise becomes
unusable. Okay, I can accept that...I don't like it...but there is
nothing I can do, aside from buying an old version of Me or 98 from ebay
for $30-$50 or so.

I don't like this, but it is pretty much the same as owning
property...nobody "really owns" property, land or home. If you don't
pay your taxes on it, it will be taken from you. I guess microsoft
won't come and physically take it from you, although in my Compaq
situation, since I can't use it any more, it is about the same
difference. Oh well, nobody ever promised me life would be perfect! If
it were, we would all still be using CoCo's, C64's, and TI-99's. grin

Scott

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
In article ,
dannysdailys writes

Old November 14th 05, 05:14 PM
DCA

"Astronomer Smith" wrote in message
Is it possible, and if so, how, to rip Windows Me off my system restore cd
or system drive D?

I have a Presario 7000 series and after I took a bunch of stuff off, it
works just fine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems in a
long time. Anyway, I recently bought a used laptop for fun, and since I
"supposedly" have a copy of Windows Me, I would like to be able to install
it on my laptop. I understand it is only supposed to be used on the
computer it was installed on, but...well...I would like to use it on
another computer.

I don't have the original Me program separately on a cd, but it is on the
restore CD. Is there a way I can copy the OS and burn it onto a new CD by
itself?

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't read too much into the responses thus far. Technically they are
right as written in the MS agreement. However to date there have been no
prosecutions for transferring it to another machine (no you can't run it on
two).
There have been numerous debates of how this US written law would be applied
in the EU. Many tend to support that MS will lose which is why they haven't
yet challenged it as that would highlight the possible right to actually
treat it as your own.
Personally, I have bought a 2nd hand version of XP professional from a
smashed laptop. I called Microsoft to activate it and all they asked me
was - "how many machines do you have this installed on?". I stated I had
installed additional memory, and a new HDD (which was not a lie).
They said that was fine and gave me a new product code (massive long
number). I haven't used ME but can't imagine it is any different to 98SE
which is a doddle
Just do it - MS don't give a toss about ME.
Good luck
David