Help installing Win 98 SE

Old January 9th 05, 11:21 PM
algae

Yes it runs fine on another pc.
G.
"Quaoar" wrote in message
algae wrote:
Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ
setup.exe I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry,
Fail." message.

Gary

"Quaoar" wrote in message
algae wrote:
Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when
I got it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it
out.
G.
"Wolfram Nickl" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on
the screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text.
Do you see this text when booting from the floppy?

You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the
drive. After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\) type:
E:\setup.exe[enter].

Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
another computer?

Old January 10th 05, 12:42 AM
algae

Beginning to think that myself. Tom I haven't swaped out a cd rom (or
anything else for that matter) from a notebook. Is it a big deal? Also what
about compatibilty with other cd rom drives?
Tia for any info.
Gary

Old January 10th 05, 05:08 AM
Ben Myers

Deep down inside, notebook CD-ROM drives are designed very similarly. Compaq,
HP, IBM, and the others all modify a stock CD-ROM drive with a plastic front
bezel to match the notebook case and added brackets and widgets for the drive to
fit inside the notebook chassis of their design.

All this being said, you are best off to replace the CD-ROM drive with another
made for the same model of notebook or another Compaq which uses the same drive.
Replacement is usually not too hard, involving the release of some inside latch,
removal of the old drive, snapping the new one in place.

Consult the owner's manual for your model of notebook... Ben Myers

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:42:32 GMT, "algae" wrote:

Beginning to think that myself. Tom I haven't swaped out a cd rom (or
anything else for that matter) from a notebook. Is it a big deal? Also what
about compatibilty with other cd rom drives?
Tia for any info.
Gary
. ..

Old January 10th 05, 02:04 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"algae" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
running Win
98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as
it is
probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created
a Win 98
SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot
to the cd
rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is
happening. The
cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I
still can't
get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the
floppy I chose
"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I
didn't
give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing
something
here? Tia for any help.
Gary

During the boot sequence the screen displays what drive letter was
assigned to the CD-ROM drive. It is usually one letter higher than
usual because the boot disk creates a RAM drive between the last
hard drive letter and the CD-ROM drive.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old January 10th 05, 03:36 PM
algae

Yep..it's drive E. However it won't read the cd..or any other cd...I tried
my Win 2000 cd and my Win XP cd. No dice.
G.