DeskPro 2000

Old December 2nd 04, 03:06 PM
Ben Myers

The "shared PCI/ISA" slot designation typically applies only to the ISA and PCI
slots which are immediately next to one another. The slot is shared because it
is either-or. Either an ISA card can be instaled or a PCI card, but not both.
Two cards cannot occupy the same physical slot space, where the "slot" refers to
the opening on the back panel of the computer..

Before the computer industry declared the ISA slot obsolete (after over 20 years
of life), the large majority of motherboards and riser cards has a shared slot.

Rather than considering the potential issues with a shared slot, I would believe
that somethng is quite wrong with the riser card hardware, from the symptoms
described... Ben Myers

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:21:08 -0600, "Kevin Childers"
wrote:

"HH" wrote in message
Kevin,
I seem to remember that being the case on those older 2000s, 4000s and
6000s.
HH

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
"Eugene" wrote in message

Eugene wrote:

Yep, DP 2000's and 4000's, people would call me all the time after
opening them up and putting them back together and I would tell them
smack the case right where the riser card is, they would laugh and I
would tell them I was serious so they would set the phone down, a

few
seconds later I would hear a bang then a few seconds later the beep
beep
from a successful post and they would come back on the phone

laughing
even harder.

Sadly neither reseating the card nor a thump has had any effect. I'm
beginning to think the riser card must have problems as the machine
works fine with cards in both ISA slots and a PCI card in the PCI/ISA
slot. If the PCI card is then moved to one of the PCI slots on the
other
side it refuses to start. Move the PCI card back and it starts

straight
away.

Regards,

Alec
move it and clear cmos, maybe some PnP settings are getting confused.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on the older machines, weren't
some
slots shared? You could use most of them, but not all, at the same

time?
Try removing all of them and then adding them back in one at a time to

see
what might be shared with what. A bit time consuming, but as a last
resort...

KC

So my memory isn't that bad, thanks for confirming that. Now if I could
just recall which ones were shared. That would probably Alec a bit of time
finding out through trial and error. Would you know or as always could you
post the link to the exact answer at the Compaq Web site?

BTW, this is not a Compaq unique issue. A lot of older machines had
sharing of ISA/PCI/??? slots. The only ones I don't recall any sharing with
was MicroChannel, but that design/technology didn't really make it
commercially. Still just when you think they are all dead and gone some one
hauls one in and ask you to work on it.

KC

Old December 2nd 04, 04:42 PM
Kevin Childers

"Eugene" wrote in message

Eugene wrote:

[...]

Ben probably is right on this, from the sound of it. Since it was from
a skip(?) I assume that means it was being scraped, do what you can with it
and just accept that you have a system that has few hardware capabilities
that it's peers. What cards do you need to add to it? Perhaps you can use
a combo card?

KC

Old December 2nd 04, 09:31 PM

Kevin Childers wrote:

Ben probably is right on this, from the sound of it. Since it was from
a skip(?) I assume that means it was being scraped, do what you can with it
and just accept that you have a system that has few hardware capabilities
that it's peers. What cards do you need to add to it? Perhaps you can use
a combo card?

The cards I wanted to use were modem, network, sound and video. The
latter as it only has the standard 1Mb of VRAM and I have a 4Mb
Millennium laying around. I'll use an external modem which will solve
the problem. and forget about the two PCI slots.

A skip is a large tank like steel container used to remove large
quantities of rubbish, delivered and removed by lorry.

Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated.

Regards,

Alec
Old December 3rd 04, 05:38 AM
Kevin Childers

wrote in message ...
Kevin Childers wrote:

[...]

There are Modem-LAN Card Combos, I don't know of any for sound and video
other than PBs and those were a proprietary oddity at best. There is the
option of going with USB as well for the modem and LAN.

Gee and I know of a skip as radio propagation, a small unit/group
leader, ships captain, and my brothers nick name. Who say's you can't learn
anything new about language. Thanks.

KC

Old December 3rd 04, 10:33 AM

Kevin Childers wrote:

Gee and I know of a skip as radio propagation, a small unit/group
leader, ships captain, and my brothers nick name. Who say's you can't learn
anything new about language. Thanks.

You're welcome. Isn't there a saying about two nations separated by a
common language?

Regards,

Alec