New Computer questions

Old July 11th 03, 02:38 AM
Nick Sallinen

Default New Computer questions

I would go with 1GB of ram if you are doing workl with movies, USB2 is
backward compatibe so there is no problem with that. I currently have a AMD
2200+ and it is running greate.If you are putting 2 different drives in go
with something bigger then 20gig the price of a 60 or 80 in not that much.
But if you are going with only 1 drive, get a good one with 8Mb cache. I run
a 30gig for the system and I just added a WD 120gig 8Mb cache.

"Mike S." wrote in message
. com...
I've built my own computers since the early dos days. This last one is a
P-III 500. It's time for a major upgrade and have a few questions. I'd

like
the P-4 but due to price differerence leaning towards an AMD but last AMD
was the old K6's which left a bad taste in my mouth.
I've been looking at the ECS K7S5A Pro with a AMD XP 2400. Also all my

USB
devices are USB1, is USB2 compatible with USB1? I plan on installing a

dvd
burner for burning family movies from a stack of VCR tapes. I was

thinking
of putting in a 20 gig drive for OS and programs and a 80 gig for video's
and music. I was thinking of a min. of 512 megs DDR memory. Also would Win
XP Pro have any advantages over XP Home? Any recomendations on a video
capture device that's reasonably priced. Any recomendations will be much
appreciated.

--
Mike S.

computer case questions Anon General 8 September 14th 04 11:25 AM
Off Topic - Lou Costello buys a computer :J:W:B: General 0 September 1st 04 03:37 PM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 09:42 AM
New Computer questions [email protected] General 3 January 18th 04 08:53 AM