SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error - help

Old October 21st 03, 10:27 PM
Lionel Carter

Default SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error - help

I've just found this ng so sorry if this has been answered before.

My Nero 5.5 use to work OK but now I get "SCSI/ATAPI command timeout" error
a few seconds after it starts burning the cd and the system freezes
necessitating a reboot. It use to happen occasionally (1 in 20 times) but
now every time.

Can any one throw any light on this message? Can the timeout mentioned be
changed anywhere? What signal is ATAPI waiting for that never comes?

Running ME, EIDE drives no SCSI drives, Nero 5.5 recently updated
v5.5.10.50, Teac
CD-W516EB.

Lionel Carter

Old October 21st 03, 11:15 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Lionel Carter wrote:

I've just found this ng so sorry if this has been answered before.

My Nero 5.5 use to work OK but now I get "SCSI/ATAPI command timeout" error
a few seconds after it starts burning the cd and the system freezes
necessitating a reboot. It use to happen occasionally (1 in 20 times) but
now every time.

Can any one throw any light on this message? Can the timeout mentioned be
changed anywhere? What signal is ATAPI waiting for that never comes?

Running ME, EIDE drives no SCSI drives, Nero 5.5 recently updated
v5.5.10.50, Teac
CD-W516EB.

Update to v5.5.10.54 and see what happens:
ftp://ftp4.nero.com/
Old October 22nd 03, 04:45 AM
Mike Richter

Lionel Carter wrote:
I've just found this ng so sorry if this has been answered before.

My Nero 5.5 use to work OK but now I get "SCSI/ATAPI command timeout"
error a few seconds after it starts burning the cd and the system
freezes necessitating a reboot. It use to happen occasionally (1 in
20 times) but now every time.

Can any one throw any light on this message? Can the timeout
mentioned be changed anywhere? What signal is ATAPI waiting for that
never comes?

Running ME, EIDE drives no SCSI drives, Nero 5.5 recently updated
v5.5.10.50, Teac CD-W516EB.

Lionel Carter

In all likelihood some hardware or software you installed corrupted your
ASPI layer. You can verify that with ASPICHK from Adaptec's WWW site.
While Nero has its own component for the ASPI layer, an inconsistent or
corrupted set can do damage because bad components may have been loaded
before Nero got a chance to do 'its thing'. (If an executable is already
loaded, Windows will not load it again even if it 'should'.) Repair is
tedious and can be painful; that's one reason that the native interface
is provided in recent versions of Windows and most relevant software has
switched to it and one reason that Roxio has not used the ASPI layer
since ECDC 4.

If you find an assortment of ASPI components floating in your system,
you will probably need to rename them all except in the Nero folder,
verify that Nero then works correctly and see what is now broken.
Recovery of those components depends on what they are and how they use ASPI.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 22nd 03, 08:18 AM
smh

.. ---------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like cRoxio or Acraptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

Lionel Carter wrote:

Running ME

In all likelihood some hardware or software you installed corrupted your
ASPI layer.

ASPI on WinME, Mikey? Whatever happened to the reports of disaster in
WinME? Did El Nino wash them all away, Mikey?

======================
From: "Adrian Miller (cRoxio)"
Subject: The Adaptec ASPI layer on Windows 2000 and Me
Date: 7/4/01

Some people have been claiming that I have stated that the Adaptec ASPI
layer should not be used on these OS just in order to scare people into
using Roxio product. They are wrong. No development of the ASPI has
taken place to my knowledge since early 1999, it was updated for Windows
2000 before Windows 2000 was released but there have been two service
packs to Windows 2000 since and Windows Me was not even in beta at the
time.

There are a number of people that will scream things repeatedly on these
groups with one or less examples to backup their claim, in the case of
the Adaptec ASPI layer

I have numerous reports of issues on Windows 2000 and
many more on Me.

In the case of Me, installing ECDC 4.00 or 4.01 with the ASPI layer into
Windows Me can have dire effects, we discovered that internally and as a
result can not support any installation into Me which starts with a
version prior to 4.02 which removed the reliance on ASPI.

Windows 2000 and Me no longer require the ASPI layer, apps such as Nero,
CD-R Diags, WinOnCD and ECDC can now do without it.

I have plenty of evidence to prove that installing the Adaptec ASPI into
Me can wind up killing the OS and make no apologises for trying to
prevent people getting into major trouble. I have no problem if you
don't want to bother believing me if you wish, just post a message here
when I have been proved right.
==================

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: ASPI, W2K, and the truth
Date: 8/2/01

.... but he [Adrian Miller] does provide reliable information
when he has it in my experience.

( I have seen some of the reports Adrian has of disaster in WinMe
and would not trust it in that OS - if I trusted the OS at all. )
======================

From: William Leech -- Moderator of no less than advanced cdr list
Date: 11/21/01

I've had to recover a W2K machine where ASPI had been used.
Likewise a WinMe machine.

The cause was definitely the ASPI layer.
======================
Old October 22nd 03, 08:31 AM
smh

.. ---------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like cRoxio or Acraptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

Lionel Carter wrote:

Running ME

In all likelihood some hardware or software you installed corrupted your
ASPI layer.

ASPI on WinME, Mikey?

ASPI Kills Win ME - Adrian Miller (cRoxio)

======================

From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 8/2/01

.... but he [Adrian Miller] does provide reliable information
when he has it in my experience.

( I have seen some of the reports Adrian has of disaster in WinMe
and would not trust it in that OS - if I trusted the OS at all. )
======================

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!
----------------------------

From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Subject: ASPI Layer and Adaptec/Roxio CD software - Help
Date: 4/6/01

ASPI layer should not be installed in WinMe.
=====================

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!
----------------------------

From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 4/7/01

WinMe definitely should not use the ASPI layer.
=====================

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!
----------------------------
Old October 22nd 03, 10:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

In all likelihood some hardware or software you installed corrupted your
ASPI layer.

that's one reason that the native interface
is provided in recent versions of Windows and most relevant software has
switched to it and one reason that Roxio has not used the ASPI layer
since ECDC 4.

Do Easy CD Cremator 4+ use the native interface on Win 2k/xp?

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!
----------------------------
Old October 22nd 03, 10:50 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

In all likelihood some hardware or software you installed corrupted your
ASPI layer.
While Nero has its own component for the ASPI layer, an inconsistent or
corrupted set can do damage because bad components may have been loaded
before Nero got a chance to do 'its thing'.

Beside you are full of it, why are you commenting on Nero, Mikey?

Remember this weasel drivel of yours?

[...not use...not know...not write...]

Don't you remember that the above weasel drivel was your weasel excuse
for not acknowledging the Ezcd 5 not writing Mode 1 bug?

Also, was Adrian Miller wrong about you, Mikey?
From: Adrian Miller
Subject: Sam needs to apologise to Mike now.
(was: Wife Beating Stopped, Mike Richter?)
Date: 4/25/01

Unlike certain people he does not like to speculate on matters
that he does not have personal experience of.

Didn't Adrian Miller have reliable information then, Mikey?