E510 - Can't Configure 1394 Ethernet

Old December 12th 16, 02:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default E510 - Can't Configure 1394 Ethernet

This is a Dell E510, 32 bit, which came with the OEM (Orange) "Windows
Media Center 2005 Edition with Update Rollup 2". At some point in it's
life, Windows 7, and then Windows 7 Ultimate was installed (upgrades).
Things went south after that, and the machine was put into storage for
about a year and a half.

Last night, I decided to resurect the machine, and do a fresh install of
the original XP Media Center, I did. When I click on System
Properties, General tab, it shows "Windoes XP Media Center Edition,
Version 2002, Service Pack 2". This isn't quite the same version I
mention in the first paragraph, above. Whatever...

Here's the problem.

In the Device Manager, every item under Other Devices, had a yellow
bang:
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Device
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (but video is fine)
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I really need to get connected to the internet. I have a comcast modem,
connected to a Dlink router, that connects one pc via ethernet, and the
rest of the pcs via wireless.

This E510 does not have a wireless card, but I will get one, once I get
it connected via ethernet to the Dlink router.

Currently, I have the E510 connected via an ethernet cable to the
router.

On the E510, in the notification area, there is the connection icon that
shows "1394 connection, speed 400.0Mbps, statis connected. If I do a
properties, it shows O packet sent or received.

Yet the Device Manager shows "This device is not configured correctly.
(Code 1)

I can't do a reinstall because none of the Dell disks contains the
driver. I've been on the driver site for my particular Service Tag, but
all that's there for Network Connections is Intel PRO/100 VE Network
Connection, v.9.2.11.05.A02, Optional.

By the way, I'm runing the original BIOS, A04. The drive site has A07,
Optional.

What's next? I've reinstalled Dells many times, with OEM and non-OEM
disks, and have always been able to get the correct drivers online, or I
have saved them before reinstalling.

Thanks.
Old December 12th 16, 06:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

Boris wrote in
09.88:

I can't do a reinstall because none of the Dell disks contains the
driver. I've been on the driver site for my particular Service Tag,
but all that's there for Network Connections is Intel PRO/100 VE
Network Connection, v.9.2.11.05.A02, Optional.

What's next? I've reinstalled Dells many times, with OEM and
non-OEM disks, and have always been able to get the correct
drivers online, or I have saved them before reinstalling.

You can still get the correct drivers online. The key is to sort through
all the choices to find the *driver*. The way to do that is to click
"View details" and read the description.

For instance, the Intel Pro/V100 "driver" you referenced
("v.9.2.11.05.A02") is in fact not a driver but a diagnostic utility,
"Intel PROSet Network Diagnostics". The driver is the one identified as
"v.8.0.15.0, A01".

I've done many reinstalls on E510's, and the basic drivers you need are
R114566 (chipset), R114282 (audio), R126542 (if you're using the onboard
Intel video), and R105478 (ethernet). Depending on system you may need a
few others, but those should get you up and running.

Old December 12th 16, 08:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

dg1261 wrote in
. 209.88:

Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

Thanks very much. I hadn't noticed that v.9.2.11.05.A02 was the "Intel
PROSet Network Diagnostics" until I clicked "Details". I instead
downloaded v.8.0.15.0.A01, and it worked. But, when I launched Internet
Explorer (version 6), it took me to www.MSN.com, and I can click on the
links on that page, but I have to stay within the MSN domain. If I try
to go elsewhere, such as www.google.com,, I get "You are about to view
pages over a secure connection...and if I hit OK, I get "The page cannot
be displayed...".

Hmmm...
Old December 12th 16, 02:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 02:45:02 -0000 (UTC), in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Boris
wrote:

This is a Dell E510, 32 bit, which came with the OEM (Orange) "Windows
Media Center 2005 Edition with Update Rollup 2".

snip

Last night, I decided to resurect the machine, and do a fresh install of
the original XP Media Center, I did. When I click on System
Properties, General tab, it shows "Windoes XP Media Center Edition,
Version 2002, Service Pack 2". This isn't quite the same version I
mention in the first paragraph, above. Whatever...

snip

It's been a few years, but I'm fairly certain that the incorrect year (2002
vs. 2005) was a known issue with that version of WinXP Media Center. I
remember noticing the same thing myself after I'd been using that version
for a year or two. I vaguely remember finding information about it in
Microsoft's Knowledge Base; no idea if information from that era is still
available.

In other words, it's nothing to worry about: it's just a typo that Microsoft
never fixed.

--
Nick

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns
Old December 12th 16, 05:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
.88:

dg1261 wrote in
. 209.88:

Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

Using cmd.exe, I can ping yahoo, google, etc., and I get proper IPs.

Also, I set up Outlook Express 6 and I can access all my email just
fine.

This must be a browser problem (IE 6), but I can't reach Windows Update
to get it upgraded.
Old December 12th 16, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
09.88:

Boris wrote in
.88:

dg1261 wrote in
. 209.88:

Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

A portable version of FireFox worked. I can now browse.
Old December 12th 16, 10:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 12:49:43 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

Boris wrote in
.88:

dg1261 wrote in
. 209.88:

Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

Now that you can browse, download and install IE 11 from the Microsoft web site. Also the full Firefox... Ben Myers