Best thermal paste?

Old November 14th 05, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Bob Smith

Default Best thermal paste? Update

rant snippage

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

Bob

Old November 15th 05, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:35:38 +0000, Bob Smith wrote:

rant snippage

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

Way too thick. Personally, I use Dot 3 brake fluid, and it's probably 20
years old. Other good choices are sewing machine. fishing reel oils.
basically any light weight oil that won't goo up with age. 3 in 1 is too
thick IMO. I've had fans that have stopped working and added brake fluid
to running for years now. Like the wheel bearing grease, brake fluid is
designed for extreme temp and conditions. I'm using the wheel bearing
grease because I got tired of all the BS and hype going on about thermal
compunds and I know that it's designed for high temps like the brake
fluid. It's also has very good thermal disipation qualities because
without it, your bearings would freeze up (melt) very quick while driving,
your wheel would catch on fire in you'd be in a world of ****.:-)

Old November 15th 05, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message
rant snippage

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

Bob

Lithium grease is much better for fan bearings.

Bobby

Old November 15th 05, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Cal Vanize

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

rant snippage

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

Bob

Lithium grease is much better for fan bearings.

Bobby

Isn't Lithium grease used for high-load very low speed applications like
for lubrication of suspension components? Would that be appropriate for
micro-load high-speed applications like a fan bearing? I recall that my
old stereo turntable (VPI high end table) used a light oil on its
spindle bearing. When I asked the manufacturer about Lithium grease, he
said it was MUCH too heavy.

So what advantage would a heavy Lithium grease on a light fan bearing
provide?

Old November 15th 05, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

rant snippage

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

Bob

Lithium grease is much better for fan bearings.

Bobby

Isn't Lithium grease used for high-load very low speed applications like
for lubrication of suspension components? Would that be appropriate for
micro-load high-speed applications like a fan bearing? I recall that my
old stereo turntable (VPI high end table) used a light oil on its spindle
bearing. When I asked the manufacturer about Lithium grease, he said it
was MUCH too heavy.

So what advantage would a heavy Lithium grease on a light fan bearing
provide?

When lithium grease is applied sparingly, it spreads very thinly and evenly,
does not tend to clump up like regular grease, and lubricates longer. It is
used for any number of applications, and *how* it is applied is important.

Bobby

Old November 15th 05, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:32:34 -0600, Cal Vanize wrote:

So what advantage would a heavy Lithium grease on a light fan bearing
provide?

More than likely, it would soon give you the advantage of a fan that
wouldn't spin up. That's assuminig you could actually get any of the
grease down around the bearings without pumping the hole full of the crap.
Use a light oil and you'll be much safer.

Old November 15th 05, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Cal Vanize

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

[...]

Same thing applies to Valvoline 10w30. So what is the advantage of
Lithium grease over light mineral oil?