video and AMD

Old September 25th 03, 11:12 AM
AD C

Default video and AMD

Hi peeps.

I seen around here about AMd not being very good for video work, now is
this just because it is slower than Intel for video or is there other
problems?

I am not bothered if it is a little slower as I am only going to use it
for my Digital vid cam when i get one.

Cheers

Old September 25th 03, 11:17 AM
Morgan

I seen around here about AMd not being very good for video work

Where do you see that....?

No problem at all with video work and why should they be..?

Encoding with transitions and titles etc as well as capturing through
Firewire is all done with zero problem on my AMD rig.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 12:52 PM
AD C

Morgan wrote:
I seen around here about AMd not being very good for video work

Where do you see that....?

No problem at all with video work and why should they be..?

Encoding with transitions and titles etc as well as capturing through
Firewire is all done with zero problem on my AMD rig.

A while back AMD had problems with sycronising , I am not sure if they
still have the problem.

I got a small T.V card, which got a video in whihc I am using for a
couple of things, everytime i try and record video to it, the sound is
out of sync, now this could be the card problem as it is getting old.
I am going to get a digital cam corder and a new capture card for
analogue sometime soon.

Old September 25th 03, 01:08 PM
Pentium Lover

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:12:31 +0000 (UTC), AD C
wrote:

Hi peeps.

I seen around here about AMd not being very good for video work, now is
this just because it is slower than Intel for video or is there other
problems?

I am not bothered if it is a little slower as I am only going to use it
for my Digital vid cam when i get one.

Cheers

The only thing Amd chips fall down on is raw mhz, all the bull****
with callin em xp whatever instead of telling the truth up front about
the figures.
I tested an intel 1900 and a so called xp 2000 by ripping a dvd with
dvdx 1.7 and with the pentium i got 19 frames a second whith the
athlon i got 14 frames a second. so at the end of the day the pentium
was the best.
if i tested with a athlon with the same mhz as a pentium then the
athlon was by far the better chip.
I run videowave 5 and pinnacle studio 8 and no probs at all with and
editing or rendering speeds.
if u want a very good prossesor that runs all your appsa games and any
mulimedia app then go for amd
im afraid the pentium gets really sluggish when you start filling the
hard disk up or you have a lot of stuff tsr.
hope this helps you
Eddie The Builder

Old September 25th 03, 01:16 PM
Pentium Lover

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:52:51 +0000 (UTC), AD C
wrote:

Morgan wrote:
I seen around here about AMd not being very good for video work

Where do you see that....?

No problem at all with video work and why should they be..?

Encoding with transitions and titles etc as well as capturing through
Firewire is all done with zero problem on my AMD rig.

A while back AMD had problems with sycronising , I am not sure if they
still have the problem.

I got a small T.V card, which got a video in whihc I am using for a
couple of things, everytime i try and record video to it, the sound is
out of sync, now this could be the card problem as it is getting old.
I am going to get a digital cam corder and a new capture card for
analogue sometime soon.
The same happened to me with my wintv card but it was old and had a job with xp

i changed it for a winfast tv2000 deluxe and i can full the hard disk
with up to dvd quailty captures with no sync problems whatsoever
the only prob I had with this series of card was that the non deluxe
version gave crackly audio when capturing off my vcr
turned out that they upgraded the chips on the deluxe version and it
cured the problem
There is an expert version of this card now available, Has anyone
buoght one and how do they run ?
Eddie

Old September 25th 03, 01:18 PM
Morgan

I got a small T.V card, which got a video in whihc I am using for a
couple of things, everytime i try and record video to it, the sound is
out of sync, now this could be the card problem as it is getting old.
I am going to get a digital cam corder and a new capture card for
analogue sometime soon

This post would be on-topic for a recording group......

Some TV cards capture their sound through the sound card of the machine, as
do other types of Analogue capture cards whilst others combine the video and
sound and thus overcome one of the age old problems of audio sync.

I have heard that audio sync can be caused by many things but I have never
heard it attributed to one specific make of CPU.

www.vcdhelp.com is the place to go for lots of information.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 01:34 PM
Ben Pope

Pentium Lover wrote:
The only thing Amd chips fall down on is raw mhz, all the bull****
with callin em xp whatever instead of telling the truth up front about
the figures.

For a start they aren't lieing about the speed. They are merely giving an
indication of an average in terms of comparison.

I tested an intel 1900 and a so called xp 2000 by ripping a dvd with
dvdx 1.7 and with the pentium i got 19 frames a second whith the
athlon i got 14 frames a second. so at the end of the day the pentium
was the best.

Fine - you are talking about video encoding - most encoding programs make
use of SSE2 which the Athlons XPs don't suppport. So in the case of Video
Encoding a P4 is significantly better than an "equivelent" XP. This is an
unusual result.

if i tested with a athlon with the same mhz as a pentium then the
athlon was by far the better chip.

Indeed.

I run videowave 5 and pinnacle studio 8 and no probs at all with and
editing or rendering speeds.
if u want a very good prossesor that runs all your appsa games and any
mulimedia app then go for amd

Fine.

im afraid the pentium gets really sluggish when you start filling the
hard disk up or you have a lot of stuff tsr.

I don't see how CPU type can affect this much... sounds more like OS
issues...

Ben

Old September 25th 03, 08:27 PM
boostland

Some of the amd dual cpu chipsets have a 32bit 33mhz pci latency problem.
The MPX chipset has the bug, It affects unbuffered writes to the 32bit 33mhz
pci bus, they max out at ~20mbps reads and buffered writes are no a problem.
The 32bit 33mhz bus is downstream of the 64bit 66mhz bus this seems to add
too much latency to the slower bus for Video capture cards and RAID
adapters.
I have video capture on my Leadtek Ti 4600 that works perfectly, no frame
drops or audio sync probs for me.
Pci Mjpeg cards would have problems, but firewire is the new way of getting
video into the computer now.
Analogue capture is not much longer for this world. (I started desktop video
in 1991 on a Amiga 3000 the card cost me Au $3800 and ram was $100/meg of
static columb zip).

Old October 7th 03, 09:19 PM
AD C

Pentium Lover wrote:

I am not bothered if it is a little slower as I am only going to use it
for my Digital vid cam when i get one.

Cheers

The only thing Amd chips fall down on is raw mhz, all the bull****
with callin em xp whatever instead of telling the truth up front about
the figures.

I* know that and so do most people who knows a little about computers.

I tested an intel 1900 and a so called xp 2000 by ripping a dvd with
dvdx 1.7 and with the pentium i got 19 frames a second whith the
athlon i got 14 frames a second. so at the end of the day the pentium
was the best.
if i tested with a athlon with the same mhz as a pentium then the
athlon was by far the better chip.
I run videowave 5 and pinnacle studio 8 and no probs at all with and
editing or rendering speeds.
if u want a very good prossesor that runs all your appsa games and any
mulimedia app then go for amd
im afraid the pentium gets really sluggish when you start filling the
hard disk up or you have a lot of stuff tsr.
hope this helps you
Eddie The Builder

Cheers, my computer is used for other things and is not going to be just
for video editing, so it has to be okish at everything and this AMD
2500XP does me well, but i am glad it works ok with Vid editing.

Thanks once again.

Old October 7th 03, 09:21 PM
AD C

Pentium Lover wrote:

The same happened to me with my wintv card but it was old and had a job with xp

i changed it for a winfast tv2000 deluxe and i can full the hard disk
with up to dvd quailty captures with no sync problems whatsoever
the only prob I had with this series of card was that the non deluxe
version gave crackly audio when capturing off my vcr
turned out that they upgraded the chips on the deluxe version and it
cured the problem

Most of the video will be sent though Firewire but i still got some
stuff on VHS and video 8 tapes that i want to put onto DVD.
The card I am getting is made by a compny called nebula, it is sold in
the UK as a digital TV tuner, but it also got video in on as well,

There is an expert version of this card now available, Has anyone
buoght one and how do they run ?

I do not want to spend too much,