Help overclocking a x2 3800+

Old January 18th 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default Help overclocking a x2 3800+

hi i was wondering if anyone on here has some good knowledge about
overclocking. I have an amd x2 3800+ that i want to overclock from 2.0
ghz to 2.5 ghz. I understand the overclocking of the CPU somewhat, but
i need help with the CPU voltages, RAM timings and RAM voltages, as
well as video card overclocking. any help woould be GREATLY
appreciated. Heck, i might even give you a dollar ; ) .

Old January 18th 06, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

oups.com...

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...4oc/index.html
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=56
http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Old January 18th 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

ok i go the cpu speed up to 2.1 ghz, but after that it starts to get
unstablel and i have to bring it back down. What to i have to change to
make it stable again (CPU voltage, RAM timing, RAM voltage, FSB?) so
that i can stay at the CPU frequency that i was trying to reach?

Old January 18th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Aedis" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok i go the cpu speed up to 2.1 ghz, but after that it starts to get
unstablel and i have to bring it back down. What to i have to change to
make it stable again (CPU voltage, RAM timing, RAM voltage, FSB?) so
that i can stay at the CPU frequency that i was trying to reach?

We'll all get out our crystal balls and figure it out for you.

Old January 19th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:00:21 -0800, Aedis wrote:

ok i go the cpu speed up to 2.1 ghz, but after that it starts to get
unstablel and i have to bring it back down. What to i have to change to
make it stable again (CPU voltage, RAM timing, RAM voltage, FSB?) so
that i can stay at the CPU frequency that i was trying to reach?

When you increase the system clock (FSB clock) from the default of 200,
you also change the other buses speeds. You have to lower the others to
compensate for this. Assuming you have a board that locks the pci/agp bus,
then you only have to be concerned with the ram and HT bus. Let's say you
want to clock the cpu's to 2330MHz and you have PC3200 ram. Set FSB to
233, lower ram speed to 166MHz, and then lower the HT multiplier by 1
(from 5x to 4x on 939 boards, and from 4x to 3x on 754 boards). That will
keep the other buses within specs. You may or may not need to raise CPU
voltage for this small overclock. Just depends on the individual cpu
mainly. Now if you have ram capable of doing 233MHz (PC4000?), you
wouldn't have to lower it. But you need to keep the HT bus close or below
the max speed.

Old January 19th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

In article , says...

"Aedis" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok i go the cpu speed up to 2.1 ghz, but after that it starts to get
unstablel and i have to bring it back down. What to i have to change to
make it stable again (CPU voltage, RAM timing, RAM voltage, FSB?) so
that i can stay at the CPU frequency that i was trying to reach?

We'll all get out our crystal balls and figure it out for you.

Not here. Mines at the wash getting a hot wax.

Bill
Old January 19th 06, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Aedis wrote:
ok i go the cpu speed up to 2.1 ghz, but after that it starts to get
unstablel and i have to bring it back down. What to i have to change to
make it stable again (CPU voltage, RAM timing, RAM voltage, FSB?) so
that i can stay at the CPU frequency that i was trying to reach?

you should be overclocking cpu and ram seperately at first so you know
what each component is capable of, then when you OC them both together
you'll already know what the limits are. the forums here have good guides:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

also see dfistreet.com for more guides. you should probably spend a few
days just reading before you attempt to OC.