Coaster production in NERO

Old October 13th 04, 08:19 PM
Jim T.

Default Coaster production in NERO

Just relating an experience --
I have a VCD that I created using PSPA. Works fine on my DVD player,
but not on some others.
I needed copies so I used NERO CDCopy - first one failed with a buffer
underrun (supposed protection is useless). I'd seen this before so I
reduced speed to 12 (drive rated at 52) and that failed, too.
Ran a speed test and simulation and the sim was successful.
Tried again - it failed right at the end - I was watching this time.
Further checking showed that the VCD had 768MB on it, and CD was rated
at 700.
Learned a lesson - go buy some 800 MB CDs and don't trust the buffer
underrun protection or the simulation.
Old October 13th 04, 08:58 PM
SleeperMan

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
Just relating an experience --
I have a VCD that I created using PSPA. Works fine on my DVD player,
but not on some others.
I needed copies so I used NERO CDCopy - first one failed with a buffer
underrun (supposed protection is useless). I'd seen this before so I
reduced speed to 12 (drive rated at 52) and that failed, too.
Ran a speed test and simulation and the sim was successful.
Tried again - it failed right at the end - I was watching this time.
Further checking showed that the VCD had 768MB on it, and CD was rated
at 700.
Learned a lesson - go buy some 800 MB CDs and don't trust the buffer
underrun protection or the simulation.

I think if you got buffer underrun, it's not too small CDR issue. If that
was the question, Nero would tell you before burning even starts.
Check out if you have possibly transfer set to PIO instead to DMA, or try to
reinstall Nero. Note also that 1 byte is 1024 bits and 1 Mb is 1024 kbytes,
so if VCD has 768 M in explorer, that are kbytes, not MBytes. You can see
real size in "info about compilation" ,then "info" tab - there it's written
total data to be burned. Also checkout red bar at the bottom.

Old October 14th 04, 02:34 PM
Jim T.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

Thanks for your interest, I can use all the help I can get!
It's Nero itself that tells me that the source CD (a TDK certified
plus) is 763 MB. I even made an image from it that is 800 MB and when
I try to write it to my 700MB CD it shows that it is too big (763).
Don't ask me how I created the VCD - I just did.
BTW - this happens with and without overburn on. I'm beginning to
suspect that the CDs I'm using (Memorex 52k) are somehow inferior.
When I have time I will try to get some good ones.
JustLink seems to be useless. I still get buffer underruns.
Old October 14th 04, 03:39 PM
SleeperMan

Jim T. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

I checked...a movie in explorer when i click properties, it says 695 M
(728.870.056 B). So, i guess that yours 768 is really a bit long...

Anyway, good luck!

Old October 14th 04, 08:14 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A3ED13E69

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

SleeperMan wrote:

Jim T. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

There have been many reports of Nero complaining about not enough disc
space without cause. One poster reported that the problem disappeared
when the overburn was enabled.

Don't ask me how I created the VCD - I just did.
BTW - this happens with and without overburn on. I'm beginning to
suspect that the CDs I'm using (Memorex 52k) are somehow inferior.
When I have time I will try to get some good ones.
JustLink seems to be useless. I still get buffer underruns.

I checked...a movie in explorer when i click properties, it says 695 M
(728.870.056 B). So, i guess that yours 768 is really a bit long...

Videos are burned in Mode 2/Form 2 where data size per sector is 2336
bytes (vs 2048 for Mode 1). 700 * (2336/2048) = 798M
Old October 14th 04, 08:47 PM
SleeperMan

. --------------------------------------

SleeperMan wrote:

Jim T. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

Sure...i knew it's something like that...i know i did read once about it...i
just didn't recall what...
In fact, if i remember correct, VCD doesn't have error correction, so you
can squeeze more data on CDR...right?
Thanks for explanation!

Old October 14th 04, 10:01 PM
smh

SleeperMan wrote:
smh wrote:

Videos are burned in Mode 2/Form 2 where data size per sector is 2336
bytes (vs 2048 for Mode 1). 700 * (2336/2048) = 798M

Correction: 2336 for CDROM Mode 2, 2324 for Mode2/Form2.
700 * (2324/2048) = 794M

Sure...i knew it's something like that...i know i did read once about it...i
just didn't recall what...
In fact, if i remember correct, VCD doesn't have error correction, so you
can squeeze more data on CDR...right?
Thanks for explanation!

Mode 2/Form 2 forgoes 276-byte ECC:

http://www.bydeluxe.com/resources/te...cdrom_spec.xml
Old October 15th 04, 03:28 AM
Jim T.

. --------------------------------------

SleeperMan wrote:

Jim T. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

suspect t hattheCDsI'musingaresomehowinferior.
When I have time I will try to get some good ones.
JustLink seems to be useless. I still get buffer underruns.

I checked...a movie in explorer when i click properties, it says 695 M
(728.870.056 B). So, i guess that yours 768 is really a bit long...

Videos are burned in Mode 2/Form 2 where data size per sector is 2336
bytes (vs 2048 for Mode 1). 700 * (2336/2048) = 798M

Just to wind up this educational process - I bought some SONY CDs, set
overburn on and write at 8. Copied the image, and it worked!!

Old October 15th 04, 09:34 AM
SleeperMan

SleeperMan wrote:

Jim T. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:58:48 +0200, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

"Jim T." je napisal v sporocilo
[...]

If you can only write at 8x, then check out in Control panel/system/device
manager/ IDE/ATA atapi controllers . Check out primary (and secondary, too)
IDE channel/properties/advanced and see if transfer mode is set to DMA. If
it's PIO, it's wrong. in this case, try to set it to DMA, but if it won't
go, just delete (remove) both channels and reboot.

Old October 15th 04, 09:36 AM
SleeperMan

. --------------------------------------

SleeperMan wrote:
smh wrote:

Videos are burned in Mode 2/Form 2 where data size per sector is
2336 bytes (vs 2048 for Mode 1). 700 * (2336/2048) = 798M

Correction: 2336 for CDROM Mode 2, 2324 for Mode2/Form2.
700 * (2324/2048) = 794M

Sure...i knew it's something like that...i know i did read once
about it...i just didn't recall what...
In fact, if i remember correct, VCD doesn't have error correction,
so you can squeeze more data on CDR...right?
Thanks for explanation!

Mode 2/Form 2 forgoes 276-byte ECC:

http://www.bydeluxe.com/resources/te...cdrom_spec.xml

Aha...nice site...thanks !

Nero hangs on "checking discs" smh Cdr 1 September 5th 04 04:00 AM
Nero 6 Demo Errors David Carmichael Cdr 6 August 3rd 03 01:50 PM
nero would only start in nero express... mark24951 Cdr 1 July 29th 03 04:45 AM
Nero 5.5.10.42 weirdness John Smith Cdr 0 July 25th 03 10:17 PM
Digital Research 48x16x48 not recognized by Nero 5.5 Blackie Lawless Cdr 0 July 16th 03 01:58 PM