HELP: Backed Up Data

Old October 6th 04, 10:13 PM
Skint4sure

Default HELP: Backed Up Data

I backed up folders and files from my hard drive using Nero 6 but when I come
to open the files the data is all messed up and unreadable.
Is there any recovery program that can restore these word and excel files back
to their original useable/readable condition?

Many thanks
Old October 6th 04, 10:25 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Skint4sure wrote:

I backed up folders and files from my hard drive using Nero 6 but when I come
to open the files the data is all messed up and unreadable.
Is there any recovery program that can restore these word and excel files back
to their original useable/readable condition?

IsoBuster
http://www.IsoBuster.com/

CDCheck
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

CD Data Rescue
http://www.naltech.com/

CD/DVD Diagnostic
http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html

CDRoller
http://www.cdroller.com/
Old October 7th 04, 05:33 AM
Mike Richter

Skint4sure wrote:

I backed up folders and files from my hard drive using Nero 6 but when I come
to open the files the data is all messed up and unreadable.
Is there any recovery program that can restore these word and excel files back
to their original useable/readable condition?

"all messed up" is not exactly specific.

1. What is the measured error rate on the disc?

2. Are some files of a given size/type readable and others not?

3. Do other such discs work well?

4. Any CRC error or similar messages saying that the file is corrupt?

The bad news: if there are no CRC errors, then the fault is thoroughly
embedded - the information is well recorded but corrupt. There's no
treatment for that.

The good news: if it's CRC error or other OS-reported corruption, then
it's probably correctable *if* you can find a reader which does better
with that disc than the one you're using now. You can also try getting
the drive cold (or warm) before reading - anything to make it lean
toward the correct value of the questionable bits.

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 7th 04, 07:00 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?

Should CD-RW's have such extreme problems so quickly?

==================================
From: Arthur Lipscomb
Subject: File Integrity Errors
Date: 10/13/01

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

I am using Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum on a Windows Me computer. I ran
scandisk on a CDRW disk and it came back with a file integrity error
(this has happened several times in the past on other discs). Scandisc
was not able to copy the files to a different location, and windows copy
and paste gave the following error, "Cannot copy...Windows in unable to
find the file. This item might have already been deleted or moved."
However, the files (videos) on the disc play normally. I have copies of
all of the files on my hard drive so I formatted a brand new blank CDRW
and copied the files onto the new disk. After running scandisk again I
received the same error messages.

You are using the least reliable and most fragile format available for
storage on CD.

More than that, you appear to have flaky erasable media,
possibly because they've been erased too often, possibly because they
are not well matched to your writer.

Or are you saying the problem is I'm formatting them as rewriteable.
Which even if it's not as reliable as formatting as read only,

shouldn't have such extreme problems so quickly.

In the previous example, the disc was formatted once, and I ran scandisc
immediately after transferring the files to the disc. So the problem
wasn't caused by repeatedly erasing the disc.
==================================

--------------------------------------

Old October 7th 04, 07:01 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?

Surely CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

================================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

BrianT wrote:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg.

Surly CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

--------------------------------------

Old October 7th 04, 07:30 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?

-------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (i)
-------------------------------

From: Jack Box
Subject: Salvaging Direct CD CDs?
Date: 7/1/01

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

I'm guessing that these are erasables. If so,
you are a victim of the forgetfulness of the medium.

my DirCD discs "in peril" are all CD-Rs (various mfrs)
not CD-RWs

--------------------------------------

Old October 8th 04, 07:21 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?

--------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (ii)
--------------------------------

From: Peter Kronenberg
Subject: Help! Can't copy files to Direct CD
Date: 10/1/02

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

I'm having a problem with Direct CD.

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write
fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.

--------------------------------------

Old October 8th 04, 10:55 PM
smh

--------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?

--------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (ii)
--------------------------------
Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write

fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (2/15/04):

In fact, a fine way to check an erasable for defects is to format it
for fixed-length packets. The time needed and space lost are pretty
good indicators of its condition.

Sure, Mikey!

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing
=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 6/30/02

When DCD formats, it reads back each sector
to be sure it's well prepared.

With a mismatch, many sectors fail which means
formatting takes a looooooooonng time ...
=====================

After the "looooooooonng" time, the least you'd expect is the media is
"proven". Nah, not with DirectCD.

From: Mike Richter (Slimy ****)
Date: 9/30/02

I'm having a problem with Direct CD.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with the
updates. Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks? Your
symptoms are familiar to those trying to write fixed-length packets

to an unproven medium.

After all that "looooooooonng" time, the medium is still "unproven" !!!

Why waste "looooooooonng" time then ???!!!

------------------------
Roxio - What a Joke !!
------------------------
Old October 12th 04, 04:33 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Is there any doubt, Mikey?
When even the supplied cd-rw is defective?

====================================
Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)
====================================

If Nero, the supplied cd is NOT the prob, but
if DirectCD, the supplied cd IS the problem!

If Nero, the supplied cd is NOT the problem
=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy ****)
Subject: Burn my first CD-R,
Date: 11/11/02

And it failed. Got a Write Error, using Nero.
I used the CD-R disk that came with my new Lite-On Drive.

It should not be the disc
if it is the one supplied by the drive manufacturer
=====================

From: col
Subject: DirectCD reports CD-RW as bad
Date: 10/6/01

DirectCD 3.05 reports my (one and only) CD-RW as "Unsupported or bad
media" yet Easy CD Creator sees it for what it is. It seems odd that
the CD-RW that came with the drive (a LG 8120B) doesn't work.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 10/6/01

The report is probably accurate ...
Look for a line of blanks which fit your drive better ...

=====================
From: AquamanA
Date: 10/8/01

I also have the LG CED-8120B drive, firmware 1.02. When moving to 3.05
DirectCD I got the same error message. When I dropped back down to
3.03b, the message went away and the drive worked properly.

I determined this to be a bug in the new software version as a result

Just use the older DirectCD, your problem will go away.
=====================

--------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin ****!
--------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old October 12th 04, 11:56 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

The bad disc doesn't happen to be an erasable, does it?

Why ask the flaky question, Mikey? Is something the matter with cd-rw
media, Mikey?

Here you were saying that cd-rw media is good enough for backup -- even
when combined with the supposedly inheritantly flaky, fragile, faulty,
unreliable packet writing "format":

From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.

Were you lying, Mikey?

Wow! What a Friggin ****!