G4MX440 Fan noise - Failing?

Old December 13th 03, 05:50 AM
Headache

Default G4MX440 Fan noise - Failing?

I do not recall ever hearing the fan run on my graphics card. I
started playing Max Payne 2 when i suddenly heard a horrible sound. I
look in side to find that it is coming from my graphics card fan. It
does not appear to be running when this noise is present. This noise
started after i increase the setting in the game to be more demanding
of the card. So this leads me to believe that the card is requiring
the fan to run, which is why I just now heard it for the first time.

My questions a
Does the fan run only when the chips get hot enough?
Why is it making noise yet I can not see it spinning?
If it has failed, do you know if there is a replacement fan that i can
purchase?

When i cool it off my compressed air the noise subsides.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

Old December 13th 03, 08:15 AM
Problem Solved

It's supposed to be on all the time. I would suggest replacing the current
heatsink/fan combo with a larger heatsink alone. Then you won't have this
problem ever again.

Old December 31st 03, 11:05 AM
War_Pig5

I'm planning to convert a gf2 card for fanless operation for a quiet pc.

The reply imples that this is something that has been done before. Does
anyone have any info/advice on this?

Old December 31st 03, 05:59 PM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:05:32 -0500
"War_Pig5" wrote:

I'm planning to convert a gf2 card for fanless operation for a quiet
pc.

The reply imples that this is something that has been done before.
Does anyone have any info/advice on this?

If it has the two mounting holes that are standard on most video boards
these days then one of the Zalman ZM80 family will do fine.

"Headache" wrote in message
started playing Max Payne 2 when i suddenly heard a horrible
sound. I look in side to find that it is coming from my graphics
card fan.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 1st 04, 12:19 PM
War_Pig5

d...
"War_Pig5" wrote:
I'm planning to convert a gf2 card for fanless operation for a quiet
pc.

The reply imples that this is something that has been done before.
Does anyone have any info/advice on this?

If it has the two mounting holes that are standard on most video boards
these days then one of the Zalman ZM80 family will do fine.

Thx, but that heatsink costs more than my card is worth! I have passive
pentium 1 heatsinks around. I might try cutting/drilling them to match the
card, or just using somewhat-heat-conductive glue, like epoxy.

Help Me Find the Noise Marshall Lake General 5 February 10th 04 06:17 PM
Electronic noise from P2B? jbclem Asus Motherboards 7 October 31st 03 10:16 AM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems Beemer Biker Asus Motherboards 1 August 5th 03 02:33 PM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM