CDR(W) media durability

Old December 12th 04, 11:20 PM

Default CDR(W) media durability

I heard cheap media can die in as little as 2yrs and become unreadable.
Is this true, and what determines "cheap"? What brands and dye color is
longest lasting? Also heard CDRW doesn't use dye, it actually melts it to
write, and melts it again to erase, which is supposed to last much longer.
Can anybody confirm? If so, what brand and color are best for blanks?
BTW, I had some Memorex, and the one that came with the drive, and after a
crummy couple month the one that came with the drive wouldn't read in mine
anymore (although it did read in another computer). It wasn't scratched
or even handled. Anybody have any idea what happened?
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address
Old December 13th 04, 05:23 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

see.my.sig.4.addr wrote:

BTW, I had some Memorex, and the one that came with the drive, and after a
crummy couple month the one that came with the drive wouldn't read in mine
anymore (although it did read in another computer). It wasn't scratched
or even handled.

A couple of months???!!! That looooooonnngg time?

CD-RW goes bad "quickly" if used with Roxio DirectCD:

Should CD-RW's have such extreme problems so Quickly?

==================================
From: Arthur Lipscomb
Subject: File Integrity Errors
Date: 10/13/01

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

I am using Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum on a Windows Me computer. I ran
scandisk on a CDRW disk and it came back with a file integrity error
(this has happened several times in the past on other discs).

I formatted a brand new blank CDRW
and copied the files onto the new disk. After running scandisk again I
received the same error messages.

You are using the least reliable and most fragile format available for
storage on CD. More than that, you appear to have flaky erasable media,
possibly because they've been erased too often, possibly because they
are not well matched to your writer.

Or are you saying the problem is I'm formatting them as rewriteable.
Which even if it's not as reliable as formatting as read only,

shouldn't have such extreme problems so quickly.

In the previous example, the disc was formatted once, and I ran scandisc
immediately after transferring the files to the disc. So the problem
wasn't caused by repeatedly erasing the disc.
==================================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old December 13th 04, 07:00 AM
smh

see.my.sig.4.addr wrote:

BTW, I had some Memorex, and the one that came with the drive, and after a
crummy couple month the one that came with the drive wouldn't read in mine
anymore (although it did read in another computer). It wasn't scratched
or even handled.

A couple of months???!!! That looooooonnngg time?

CD-RW goes bad in 5 minutes if used with Roxio Drag-to-Disc:

Surely CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched:

BrianT wrote:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that as
well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg.

Surly CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old December 13th 04, 06:20 PM
Mike Richter

lid wrote:

I heard cheap media can die in as little as 2yrs and become unreadable.
Is this true, and what determines "cheap"? What brands and dye color is
longest lasting? Also heard CDRW doesn't use dye, it actually melts it to
write, and melts it again to erase, which is supposed to last much longer.
Can anybody confirm? If so, what brand and color are best for blanks?
BTW, I had some Memorex, and the one that came with the drive, and after a
crummy couple month the one that came with the drive wouldn't read in mine
anymore (although it did read in another computer). It wasn't scratched
or even handled. Anybody have any idea what happened?

Write-once media do use a dye; lifespan is arguable, but the most recent
studies suggest (with questionable justification) that phthalocyanine
dyes have longer life. In any event, a poor disc may decay in less than
a year; a good one with any of the usual dyes will last for decades.

Erasable media use phase-change in the melt/freeze cycle. The early
discs, writable at only 2x, were stable. The higher speeds led to early
decay and they are usually recommended only for test. I have found no
quantitative studies of those media - the manufacturers certainly don't
want to know, let alone to let the public know. My own tests on several
major-brand High Speed discs showed increasing error over time and
unrecoverable errors within a year.

The reasons are complex and not fully understood; they relate to the
fact that the ones and zeroes are inferred from a mix of two states in
the domains within a 'bit'.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old December 13th 04, 08:11 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched:

Erasable media ... The early
discs, writable at only 2x, were stable.

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying ****)
Date: 1/30/03

Ricoh 2x media proved quite reliable and
never lost data - but they are long gone. === Long Gone!

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 3/10/04

my remaining 2x are reserved === Not Long Gone?
for the one drive I have that will write them.
======================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------
Old December 13th 04, 08:23 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched:

Erasable media ... The early
discs, writable at only 2x, were stable.

Is 2x-only rewritable NOT ANY rewritable, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 11/11/03

Reliability of ANY erasable is dubious
- as are fragility and durability.
======================

Also, were you excluding 2x-only rewritable here? Were you not
condemning ALL rewritables, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with the tendency of
erasables (particularly HS) to forget is lethal for archiving.
===========================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------
Old December 13th 04, 08:42 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched:

My own tests on several
major-brand High Speed discs showed increasing error over time and
unrecoverable errors within a year.

(No experience, extensive or not, with Ultra Speed?)

Yet another extensive experience?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying ****)
Date: 11/28/02

I have had extensive experience with erasable media.

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 5/12/04

the fragility of erasables means that I use them only for test,
so I don't have a body of experience to report.
======================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------
Old December 13th 04, 11:34 PM
Noik

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying ****)
Date: 1/30/03

From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 3/10/04

my remaining 2x are reserved === Not Long Gone?
for the one drive I have that will write them.
======================

You should stop with this one. Its obvious that "long gone" refers to
commercial availability, not Mike's personal stash of 2x media.

Old December 14th 04, 12:23 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

mirror (Pipsqueak) squeaked:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying ****)
Date: 11/28/02

From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 5/12/04

the fragility of erasables means that I use them only for test,
so I don't have a body of experience to report.
======================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

What is it about being wrong that makes Mike Richter an sfsob?

"Wrong"? Can't even tell apart lying from wrong, Dumb ****?

Do these speak of "wrong", Pipsqueak?

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

(No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the following is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old December 14th 04, 12:25 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched:

Erasable media ... The early
discs, writable at only 2x, were stable.

Still scamming, Slimeball?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched (1/30/03):

I have found no evidence of reliability or durability of HighSpeed
erasables. My ancient Ricoh 2x media proved quite reliable and never
lost data - but they are long gone.

Found 2x cd-rw were reliable, Mikey? Guess that justifies this:

----------------------
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
----------------------

Wait a minute here. That weasels away only half of this cockamamie
drivel:

----------------------
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with the tendency of
erasables (particularly HS) to forget is lethal for archiving.

(Were you excluding 2x cd-rw in the above, Slimeball?)

What about the supposedly flaky UDF fixed-length packets, Mikey? Did
the UDF format undergo a change for the worse between (9/1/99) and
(10/15/01)?

What a Slimy Friggin SOB!