Barton in KT333 - help please

Old November 8th 03, 05:58 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:37:50 +0000, S.Boardman wrote:

Just to update...
I'm looking at 2 x Corsair CMX256A 2700LLPT Would that be OK?
Low latency is programmed in the SPD, everything I have will cope, won't
it?

This ram is expensive and only rated for 166MHz bus. You can get PC3700
ram cheaper than this this. I'm using Buffalo PC3700 512M (Winbond) that I
paid under $100 for. It runs 200MHz bus easily. And it will run CL2 at
166MHz IIRC.

Old November 8th 03, 06:00 PM
Max Reheat

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:37:50 -0000, "S.Boardman"
threw a teddy out of the pram and bawled:

"S.Boardman" wrote in message

Time for more questions!
Should I stick with PC2700, or should I go for the faster PC3100?
CAS 2 or 2.5?
Which brand (in UK), Corsair or Crucial?
What about all the other little numbers I seen referred to? x-x-x-x?
Running Win98SE, I'll probably stick to 2 x 256Mb, especially since the
middle DIMM slot seems a little dodgey.
Opinions please :-)
Isn't Usenet great?
--
Susan

Just to update...
I'm looking at 2 x Corsair CMX256A 2700LLPT
Would that be OK?
Low latency is programmed in the SPD, everything I have will cope, won't it?

I'm running a Barton XP2600+ in an MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU, BIOS 5.7. RAM
is 2 x 512 MB Kingston HyperX PC2700 CAS2 (in the UK). The RAM is set
to SPD and detects correctly. FSB manually set to 166 MHz. Windows
XP SP1.

Although the mobo reports the CPU as a XP2500, it's running at the
correct speed (1917MHz).

I have no problems to report.
--
Max Reheat () - deselect Part Throttle Reheat to reply.
Old November 8th 03, 06:57 PM
S.Boardman

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:37:50 +0000, S.Boardman wrote:

Just to update...
I'm looking at 2 x Corsair CMX256A 2700LLPT Would that be OK?
Low latency is programmed in the SPD, everything I have will cope, won't
it?

This ram is expensive and only rated for 166MHz bus. You can get PC3700
ram cheaper than this this. I'm using Buffalo PC3700 512M (Winbond) that I
paid under $100 for. It runs 200MHz bus easily. And it will run CL2 at
166MHz IIRC.

I thought Crucial or Corsair were the best. Of the two Corsair seemed to go
into the most detail. I'm not going to be pushing my system *that* hard.
You think I should go into DDR 400-odd and PC3000+ ?

I'm not going to change this motherboard again, and don't the new ones need
twin modules or something?
I'm looking at the page (watch the wrap!)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...cm9kdWN0U2Vhcm
NoUmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D&cat_uid=3&subcat_uid=544

Which do you think? I don't mind paying 60 GBP for 256 Mb if it's not going
to die on me!
What about
Corsair 256MB DDR XMS3200 32Mx64 NON-ECC 184 DIMM Unbuffered CAS2-2-2 32Mx8
DRAMS LOW LATENCY SPD Platinum
Obviously I need it to work at 166/333, until I overclock it later. Are the
faster modules backwards compatible?
--
Susan

Old November 8th 03, 08:30 PM
kony

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:06:23 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

As for the instability, you do have the CPU multiplier still set to
default, 11X ?

It's on auto. Should I change it to 11?

No, you could if you wanted, but 'auto' for that CPU should be 11x,
just wanted to be sure that the CPU wasn't overclocked, was the source
of the instability.

Hello! Running memtest86 at the higher speed... test 4, 26 per cent done,
184 errors already! Time for new ram I think :-)))

Time for more questions!
Should I stick with PC2700, or should I go for the faster PC3100?
CAS 2 or 2.5?
Which brand (in UK), Corsair or Crucial?
What about all the other little numbers I seen referred to? x-x-x-x?
Running Win98SE, I'll probably stick to 2 x 256Mb, especially since the
middle DIMM slot seems a little dodgey.
Opinions please :-)
Isn't Usenet great?

"In general", any modern PC2700 should fun fine in your board putting
a pair of modules in the first and third slots as you mentioned. The
issue then would be how much you want to spend for a few % extra
performance, and how high your target memory bus speed is. I wouldn't
expect you can keep the board stable much over 185MHz FSB/Mem, but
buying PC3200 or higher memory "might" allow reusing it in the future,
just dpends on how long you're wanting to wait till you upgrade again,
and even so you might have a similar issue as now, with the memory not
entirely stable on a newer platform at higher speeds.

On a KT333 board I have here, it's currently using a pair of cheap,
practically free-after-rebate PC2700 modules (Kinston VR, K-Byte or
something like that) at 174MHz CAS2.5. It's not my fastest system
anymore so the better memory was reused in another board... after
swapping in the cheap memory, confirming stability, I'd never notice
the couple % performance difference in use.

For single-system use and potential reuse later, I'd buy mid-grade
PC3200, any name-brand you can get a good price on, but of course
doing many more hours of memtest86 testing before trying to o'c.

Dave
Old November 8th 03, 10:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:57:51 +0000, S.Boardman wrote:

Obviously I need it to work at 166/333, until I overclock it later. Are the
faster modules backwards compatible?

Yes, you can use PC4200 if you want. But you can't use PC2100 and you may
not be able to overclock PC2700 if you want to raise the bus up over
166MHz, although most will overclock a little. But if you decided to
upgrade to an A64 system, PC2700 would not cut it, where PC3200 or faster
would.

Old November 10th 03, 09:45 PM
S.Boardman

"kony" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:06:23 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

snip!

[...]

I'm looking at Corsair, either
CMX256A 3200LLPT or
CMX256A 3200C2PT

It is my understanding that the first one is more suitable for hardcore
overclockers. Since I'm probably not going to push it that hard, can you
confirm that the second one would be OK for me to get? What did you mean by
'mid-grade'? CAS 2.5?
--
Susan

Old November 10th 03, 11:13 PM
kony

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:45:50 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

I'm looking at Corsair, either
CMX256A 3200LLPT or
CMX256A 3200C2PT

It is my understanding that the first one is more suitable for hardcore
overclockers. Since I'm probably not going to push it that hard, can you
confirm that the second one would be OK for me to get? What did you mean by
'mid-grade'? CAS 2.5?

The second should be more than suitable for the fastest FSB speed your
motherboard can run stable, though I have no idea if it'll run the
fastest timings in that (or any particular) board. By mid-grade I
simply meant name-brand memory, not generic, but not premium-priced
either, since your motherboard itself won't be able to run stable at
200MHz (DDR400) there's no point in spending extra for memory that
can, unless as i briefly mentioned in previous reply, you have hopes
of reusing the memory some day... that's something I can't speculate
about. I would "guess" that the average PC2700 memory sold today
would work OK at the 174MHz FSB I previously suggested, but YMMV on
that, certainly the PC3200 is more likely, guaranteed to work at
166MHz. If your motherboard sets the AGP bus as 1/2 of the FSB speed,
the AGP (or USB) ports are likely where you'd see the first
issues/problems from excessively high FSB speed.

Dave
Old November 11th 03, 01:46 PM
Hippy Paul

"S.Boardman" wrote in message

snip

Hello! Running memtest86 at the higher speed... test 4, 26 per cent done,
184 errors already! Time for new ram I think :-)))

Just out of curiosity have you tried each stick separately - just so you
know which one (if not both) has a problem - and to eliminate the outside
chance that it might be your board taking issue if they both check out fine
at 166.

Also why not consider a single pc3200 512Mb stick - some report that a
single 512 stick overclocks slightly faster than two 256mb on a KT chipset -
and it might be more future proof than the smaller modules.

Old November 11th 03, 09:18 PM
S.Boardman

"Hippy Paul" wrote in message

"S.Boardman" wrote in message

snip

Hello! Running memtest86 at the higher speed... test 4, 26 per cent

done,
184 errors already! Time for new ram I think :-)))

Just out of curiosity have you tried each stick separately - just so you
know which one (if not both) has a problem - and to eliminate the outside
chance that it might be your board taking issue if they both check out

fine
at 166.

Also why not consider a single pc3200 512Mb stick - some report that a
single 512 stick overclocks slightly faster than two 256mb on a KT

chipset -
and it might be more future proof than the smaller modules.

I've had problems in the past with memory, and I thought I'd nailed it to
one of the sticks. Then I downloaded memtest and it passed, no problems. I
put it back in the machine (after ruling out slot 2) and it seemed fine.
Although it should work at 166/333 I don't think it's very good quality.
Having Win98SE 512Mb is my limit, right? I figure if the memory is going to
go, at least I'd have the other to fall back on. That said, Corsair should
be pretty safe, and if I have another go at memsafe on the PC2700 sticks I
might have one of those to fall back on. I think you're right, I'll get a
single stick :-)
--
Susan

Old November 11th 03, 09:22 PM
S.Boardman

wrote:

[...]

I stick with the second option, as a single stick. The motherboard supports
USB2, the only USB item I have is a scanner I connect rarely. I'm aware that
I might have problems with the video card though. I don't have a newer one
to swap out to check it. Mine's a GeForce 4 MX.
It's turning out expensive... I only started with a dodgey fan! :-)
--
Susan