What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 16th 06, 02:55 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

MC wrote:
"SteveH" wrote in message
David Marshall wrote:

In article ,
Richard Colton wrote:
Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

You assume that unlimited Sunday trading would mean that shopworkers were
forced to work on days that had significance to them. That is not the
case, even now:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...dTimeOff/Worki
ngHoursAndTimeOffArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10028516&chk=plRNsk

If you believe the Sunday 'opt out' actually offers some level of
protection to the average retail worker, then you're sadly mistaken.

Due to the alarmingly low rates of union membership (and a totally
spineless main union) there is, in practice, very little Sunday opt-out
protection within the industry.

FWIW, I once made noises about signing the opt-out when I was a deputy
manager for Safeway, only for my boss to tell me he'd have to reconsider
my suitability for the role.....

He would then be acting illegally had he done so. Had he not found in your
favour you would have had every right to take him and Safeway to
court/tribunal. You do not need a union for that.

Yes, perhaps he might be able to because as a managerial-type he
obviously has the wits and finance required for it. But the average
shop worker doesn't. And the law provides no protection whatsoever
because it is universally flouted.

Jon.

Old April 16th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

ranted in message

3km x 3km = 9000 square metres

I was brought up to understanding that we used feet and inches as
units of measurement in this country not the stupid foreign units of
measurement that you use here. The more people here go with the
European units of measurement etc the sooner we shall all have to be
using the damned Euro along with the rip-off that will entail sod the
EU .

So we should use US units like gallons, pints, bushels etc. (although these
are not the same as Imperial units)?

I suppose you wnat to go back to pounds shillings and pence - £sd - even
though these were the old Roman units of Libra, Solidi Denarii, along with
odd subdivisions such as florins, crowns, guineaus etc.

Actually metric has been used for a long time in British science and
industry, so if you ever finished growing up it must have been a long time
ago...

Old April 16th 06, 03:08 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Johannes" wrote in message

me wrote:

"RiTSo" wrote in message
. uk...
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

whoops
3km x 3km = 9,000,000 square metres

Old April 16th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

me wrote:
"RiTSo" wrote in message
. uk...
Sparks wrote:

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
long!!

3km x 3km = 9000 square metres

No , 3000m * 3000m = 9 million square meters.

9000 square metres would be a shop of about 95m * 95m

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old April 16th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Thus spaketh David Wright:
I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be
able to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special
day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on
Sundays, and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have
really panicked you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening -
people just spread their shopping over more days - if all shops
closed on Sundays again, I wonder if it would affect takings?

D.

Not really, I don't shop on Sundays anyway, nor do I work in retail, it's
just that not everyone has the same religion, some no religion at all.

I therefore see no reason at all, why shops are forced to close, people in
work should have the option to state which religion they follow and be
allowed their religious days off, if they so wish.

I'm usually asleep during Sunday opening hours, as I work nights Sunday
through Thursdays, so have Thursday, Friday and Saturday to do the shopping,
if I have to go along too to help.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 16th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day
that is religously important to them.

Anyone religious is by their own admission a retard. Why should the
views of retards take precedence over those of sane people ?

WTF is the problem with many shoppers?

They are justifiably ****ed off because of bible bashing 'spack-lords'
forcing their fantasy crap onto other people.

HTH

--
Lordy.UK
Old April 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:46:33 +0100, Graham Murray
wrote:

Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday. So why (and when)
did it change so that Easter Sunday rather then Good Friday was the
'taboo' day for opening?

Don't remember that at all. I can remember the banks opening on Good
Friday,

That would suggest a faulty memory - 'Good Friday' being a _BANK HOLIDAY_!
By legislation a day when Banks are not allowed to do business and when
contracts etc. cannot be signed. Once legislation forced _BANKS_ to close
then commerce followed.

DG

Old April 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Geronimo W. Christ Esq" wrote in message
Richard Colton wrote:

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

Ah, ********. So the state is expected to uphold some religious beliefs?

Who gets to say what is "religiously important" anyway ? I could set up my
Church of Arse and declare that all seven days of the week are religious
important and demand legislation to keep everyone out of the shops ?

Nothing to stop you! Unless you're all mouth and trousers - Do it!

aaa Get ten electors to second you as a candidate;
bbb Persuade a plurality of electors in your chosen constituency to vote
for you in the next General Election.
ccc Persuade 50% (635/2) Members of Parliament to accept your proposal.
[You'll probably have to 'win' a high number in the ballot for
Private Members'
Bills: but, Hey; who said this would be easy?]
ddd Persuade 50% +1 of the Members in the Upper House to support your
proposal

Voila; Job done!

unless, of course, you _are_ all mouth and trousers!

--

Brian

Old April 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Johannes" wrote in message

snip

Before you complain, you should try to learn the difference between meters
and square meters, feet and square feet.

And before you spout off in _UK_ newsgroups; _YOU_ should learn the
difference between _meters_(sic) and metres!

quote
The metre, symbol: m, is the basic unit of distance (or of "length", in the
parlance of the physical sciences) in the International System of Units. The
internationally-accepted spelling of the unit in English is "metre",
although the American English spelling meter is a common variant. However,
both American and non-American forms of English agree that the spelling
"meter" should be used as a suffix in the names of measuring devices such as
chronometers and micrometers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
/quote

--

Brian

Old April 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"John Patrick" wrote in message
I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Isn't that 8 hours how do they manage to flout the law. All the biggies
here
do 10 to 4.

As you say; the legislation permits, for the 'biggies' SIX hours _trading_
on Sundays.
We are near a conjoined Tesco- Marks&Sparks site.
Tesco opens 10:00 ~ 16:00 whilst Marks & Sparks opened 11:00 ~ 17:00
{Presumably the management thought that folks would buy their veg off Tesco
then finish up in Marks']. Over the last few months Marks has started to
open at 10:33 ~ 17:00. Oh! The first half-hour is only for 'browsing' - not
trading - and after 17:00? ; if you're _in_ the store they'll _trade_ [take
money in exchange for goods] until the last punter has left the store!
where there's room to wiggle -they'll observe the _letter_ of the law.

--

Brian