ScanJet 8250 scans black to grey

Old May 6th 09, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.sys.hp.hardware
[email protected]

Default ScanJet 8250 scans black to grey

I bought a used ScanJet 8250 a month ago, and it basically works fine
except that it can't give me good deep blacks. I give it an easy
letter to scan, nice white background, nice black text, and in the
scan I get, the darkest color is about RGB=(64,64,64).

I've tried adjusting the Highlights/Shadows/Midtones sliders, and they
don't seem to have any effect at all.

Anybody else seen this kind of problem? Is it solvable in software,
or is it something more unpleasant like the scanner bulb getting old?

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 6th 09, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:
I bought a used ScanJet 8250 a month ago, and it basically works fine
except that it can't give me good deep blacks. I give it an easy
letter to scan, nice white background, nice black text, and in the
scan I get, the darkest color is about RGB=(64,64,64).

I've tried adjusting the Highlights/Shadows/Midtones sliders, and they
don't seem to have any effect at all.

Anybody else seen this kind of problem? Is it solvable in software,
or is it something more unpleasant like the scanner bulb getting old?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

I, too, have a ScanJet 8250, bought a couple of months ago to upgrade
the type of scanning I do.

I find the "HP Solution Center" scanning software provided by HP with
the scanner to be more difficult to use than the earlier PrecisionScan I
had with an older ScanJet 4c. Too much baggage and too many clicks to
get the job done with this software. But so far, nothing even similar
to what you've described.

You've tried some of the adjustments to no effect, which then leads in
the direction of a weak scanner bulb. Still, try some of the other
settings, for example different output file format (TIF instead of JPG),
different number of colors.

Also, when you scan, what are you scanning, a photo, a document or
something else? ... Ben Myers

HP ScanJet 8250 Incongruence Bob Frolek Scanners 0 September 9th 08 02:30 PM
Black/grey stripes on sheets with a Ricoh laser printer Jean-Jacques Boutaud Printers 2 September 2nd 05 04:58 PM
hp scanjet 8250 ? Chrisj Scanners 0 March 7th 05 05:47 AM
FS4000 scanner has grey bands on APS scans John Scanners 0 January 18th 04 06:57 PM
Printing grey as if it were black meirman Printers 2 November 20th 03 10:47 AM