Identical disks showing different DMA modes under Windows XP -- why?

Old October 15th 04, 06:09 PM
Spammay Blockay

Default Identical disks showing different DMA modes under Windows XP -- why?

I just installed a Hitachi Travelstar 7k60 as my secondary drive
in my Thinkpad laptop, to go with the same model drive as my primary drive.

I looked at the device properties for the new drive, and it was showing
DMA Mode 2, whereas the primary drive was showing DMA Mode 5.

These values are unchangeable in the XP interface, from what I can see.

Does anyone know why one drive would have one mode selected, and the
other drive another?

- Tim

Old October 15th 04, 11:30 PM
GTS

"Spammay Blockay" wrote in message
I just installed a Hitachi Travelstar 7k60 as my secondary drive
in my Thinkpad laptop, to go with the same model drive as my primary

drive.

I looked at the device properties for the new drive, and it was showing
DMA Mode 2, whereas the primary drive was showing DMA Mode 5.

These values are unchangeable in the XP interface, from what I can see.

Does anyone know why one drive would have one mode selected, and the
other drive another?

- Tim

Check with IBM - it may be that the secondary drive port only supports upto
UDMA-33 (mode2), which is the mode CD drives operate at these days. It could
even be as simple as the ribbon cable connecting the secondary port to the
motherboard is 40 wire (max UDMA33) instead of the 80 wire needed for
anything faster than mode 2....

Old October 16th 04, 06:50 AM
Spammay Blockay

In article ,
GTS wrote:

[...]

D'oh! I think that the new drive is in Primary Slave position, just
as it says in the BIOS, and THAT is listed as UDMA-5, so I was completely
off-base with this. The UDMA-2 device *IS* the CD drive!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, tho'!

- Tim