How to conect my DVD writer?

Old September 8th 03, 11:01 PM
ossey

Default How to conect my DVD writer?

I have two hard disks and a dvd writer & CD writer. What is the best way of
having them connected. Should the dvd drive and the C drive be on the same
ide cable and which should be the master or slave?

I would like the DVD writer to have the best performance.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Old September 9th 03, 12:05 AM
Anonymous Joe

"ossey" wrote in message
.. .
I have two hard disks and a dvd writer & CD writer. What is the best way

of
having them connected. Should the dvd drive and the C drive be on the

same
ide cable and which should be the master or slave?

I would like the DVD writer to have the best performance.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Pri. Master - Hard Drive (NEEDED TO BOOT NORMALLY!!!)
Pri. Slave - None
Sec. Master - DVD Writer
Sec. Slave - CD Writer

This way your transferring from the C:, and you won't have to transfer
within the same channel, which decreases speed, so it should work best.

I imagine you can even transfer from CD-RW to DVD writer (never did say if
it was -, +, or -/+), since the DVD writer can't write that fast
anyways...24x max or 16x. You can't do an on-the-fly copy from DVD drive to
CD-RW drive if you write it faster than about 16-24x. Usually beyond there
it can't keep up, due to channel bandwidth limitations. Not realyl the
limits, thouh, you'd have a lot more bandwidth if you weren't use ATAPI
devices....

Old September 9th 03, 01:01 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Anonymous Joe wrote:

"ossey" wrote in message
.. .

I have two hard disks and a dvd writer & CD writer. What is the
best way of having them connected. Should the dvd drive and the C
drive be on the same ide cable and which should be the master or
slave?

I would like the DVD writer to have the best performance.

Pri. Master - Hard Drive (NEEDED TO BOOT NORMALLY!!!)
Pri. Slave - None
Sec. Master - DVD Writer
Sec. Slave - CD Writer

This way your transferring from the C:, and you won't have to
transfer within the same channel, which decreases speed, so it should
work best.
[...]

He said that he wants the DVD writer to have the best performance. In that
case, the DVD writer should be alone on the secondary IDE port. Since the
DVD writer can also write CD-R/RWs, the older writer can simply be used as
regular CD-ROM. When putting it on the first channel together with the hard
disk, burning on-the-fly from CD-ROM to DVD should work better. Having both
writers on the same channel would not allow that at all, as accessing the
first would block the second. Some devices don't block though, so it might
work in any case. Only a test would clarify that.

-- Niko

Old September 9th 03, 01:10 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Anonymous Joe wrote:

"ossey" wrote in message
.. .

I have two hard disks and a dvd writer & CD writer. What is the
best way of having them connected. Should the dvd drive and the
C drive be on the same ide cable and which should be the master
or slave?

I would like the DVD writer to have the best performance.

[...]

He said that he wants the DVD writer to have the best performance.
In that case, the DVD writer should be alone on the secondary IDE
port. Since the DVD writer can also write CD-R/RWs, the older writer
can simply be used as regular CD-ROM.
[...]

Oops, I just saw that the message says "two hard disks". In that case, my
reply doesn't apply at all.

If on-the-fly burning from CD-ROM to DVD is important to you, I suggest:

Pri. Master: Hard disk
Pri. Slave: CD-R
Sec. Master: DVD
Sec. Slave Hard disk

Note that some hard disks have a "Single" setting in addition to "Master"
and "Slave". Since now the HD isn't alone, don't use "Single".

-- Niko

Old September 9th 03, 02:02 AM
Robert Hancock

I would switch the DVD and second hard drive in that setup - sometimes,
setting a hard drive as slave to an ATAPI device like a DVD drive will cause
problems..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

"Nikos Chantziaras" wrote in message
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Anonymous Joe wrote:

.. .

Old September 9th 03, 02:22 AM
tomcas

Robert Hancock wrote:

I would switch the DVD and second hard drive in that setup - sometimes,
setting a hard drive as slave to an ATAPI device like a DVD drive will cause
problems..

Agreed. I'd put both HDs on the primary and the opticals on the
secondary with the DVD writer as the master and the CD burner as slave
although it probably doesn't make any difference if you were to switch
the opticals with each other.
From
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...ormance-c.html
"Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing: There are several reasons
why optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the
same channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same
physical channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI
uses a much more complicated command structure. Opticals are also
generally much slower devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard
disk down when sharing a channel."

Old September 9th 03, 07:32 PM
ossey

"ossey" wrote in message
.. .
I have two hard disks and a dvd writer & CD writer. What is the best way

of
having them connected. Should the dvd drive and the C drive be on the

same
ide cable and which should be the master or slave?

I would like the DVD writer to have the best performance.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Thanks Guys, you have given me a start on how to connect this together.

All the best

Old September 11th 03, 04:09 AM
OldFartJAC

tomcas is absolutely correct. Both HDD's on primary IDE, and any writer, CD
or DVD on secondary IDE master and CD or DVD reader on secondary slave. This
is the way it has always worked best and what is recommended .

CD Writer Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 1 December 31st 04 02:20 PM
Is there any benefit to 80 wire IDE cable for DVD writer? Isaac Kuo Homebuilt PC's 5 February 13th 04 03:07 PM
Why the Writer Writeth Not cybrwurm General 1 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
CD Writer/ DVD Writer software on new build HMSDOC Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 03 12:01 PM
Quality, Budget CD Writer Steevo General 7 September 14th 03 08:48 PM