OT- Importing

Old July 20th 03, 09:15 AM
GB

"bigbrian" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:09:36 +0000 (UTC), "GB" wrote:

Apologies for going OT but I know there is a wealth of experience here.

I have found some niche gym equipment that is very popular. In the USA

where
it is manufactured, it costs $800. Over here, the (sole) importer sells

for
over GBP900. That seems an excessive mark-up.

That'll be a Concept II rower, right?

Second hand, the item sells for GBP700 to 800 on ebay. In the US, second
hand ones are about $500 to $600.

One snag is that the item is extremely heavy - 30kg+. US sellers of the
second hand items on ebay all say they will not ship outside the US. That
presumably means two lots of shipping, plus the need to have a friendly
shipper in the US who can take delivery, check for damage etc, before
shipping on to the UK.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of buying either new or
secondhand in the US and selling on in the UK - and making a profit?

It probably won't make you feel any better, but I bought mine, in the
UK, less than 6 months old, in perfect nick, for £400. :-)

Ahh, that's how come you're Big Brian. Where do you get one for 400 quid in
the uk? Two second hand ones just sold on ebay for nearly 800 quid.

Brian

Old July 20th 03, 10:26 AM
bigbrian

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:15:44 +0100, "GB" wrote:

"bigbrian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

One source is the Prison Service -they have loads of them. Its very
underfunded and many prisons are closing or reducing their gym
facilities. You might find that they're happy to sell you one
(although I wouldn't be surprised if the money goes into the gym
officer's back pocket and he claims one of the cons nicked the rower

:-)

Brian
Old July 20th 03, 12:23 PM
Julian Hales

"bigbrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:15:44 +0100, "GB" wrote:

"bigbrian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Its life gym..........but not as we know it.

Old July 21st 03, 08:55 AM
GB

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments.

(Anyone selling a concept II for 400 pounds or so, please let me know.)

Geoff

Old July 21st 03, 09:42 AM
bigbrian

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:55:38 +0100, "GB" wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments.

(Anyone selling a concept II for 400 pounds or so, please let me know.)

You don't really need one, you know. You can get a brand new Delta
Airmaster for between £199 and £299, depending on where you shop, and
its just as good (the computer has slightly fewer features).

http://gymtrader.com/airmasterrower-black.htm

IMO well worth the (substantial) savings over the Concept II

Brian