NEWBIE: Raid Question Installing New Drives & Using Old ones

Old April 11th 04, 05:52 PM
Robert J. Stevens

Default NEWBIE: Raid Question Installing New Drives & Using Old ones

I have a Ultra100 Raid PCI Card for sometime now and want to get it
installed.
I want to Use Raid 1 [Mirroring].
Is there a way to use my Existing Drives or Do I have to start with
Blank Drives and if So can I then copy my Existing C: drive to the raid
then set it to be the BOOT???
The Install Manual doesn't give much help except how to install
Bob in Wisconsin

Old April 12th 04, 02:21 PM
Rob-J

First off, you want the drives to have the same capacity and preferably the
same make and model. If you have two drives, say a 100 GB and a 120 GB, the
raid will only be 100 GB. The smaller drive controls the size of the raid.
If you want to use existing drives, when you build the raid, you will loose
all the exisitng data. You cannot take a drive with data and build an array
off this drive and retain the data. Drives are cheap (besy buy or office max
always have great rebate specials). I would build with two new drives and
copy the data off the existing drive to the raid.