Scanning Sketches

Old July 25th 07, 05:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
[email protected]

Default Scanning Sketches

I had some sketches (simple pictures; color) made by an artist that I
would like to get into an electronic format. These sketches will be
customized on the computer with text and then printed. I want them to
retain exactly the quality how the artist drew them. I have a cheap
HP scanner that doesn't seem to be doing this. Anyone have
suggestions how to do this?

In the future, would it be beneficial to find a computer graphic
artist? I assume they would costs more to do this work.

Old July 25th 07, 04:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
CSM1

wrote in message
ps.com...
I had some sketches (simple pictures; color) made by an artist that I
would like to get into an electronic format. These sketches will be
customized on the computer with text and then printed. I want them to
retain exactly the quality how the artist drew them. I have a cheap
HP scanner that doesn't seem to be doing this. Anyone have
suggestions how to do this?

In the future, would it be beneficial to find a computer graphic
artist? I assume they would costs more to do this work.

How to scan graphics (line art).
http://www.scantips.com/basics04.html

The results depend on your skill in using your scanner and the tools you
have available.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 25th 07, 06:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Neil Gould

Recently, posted:

I had some sketches (simple pictures; color) made by an artist that I
would like to get into an electronic format. These sketches will be
customized on the computer with text and then printed. I want them to
retain exactly the quality how the artist drew them. I have a cheap
HP scanner that doesn't seem to be doing this. Anyone have
suggestions how to do this?

In the future, would it be beneficial to find a computer graphic
artist? I assume they would costs more to do this work.

Perhaps you are arriving at the realization that there is more to scanning
than just pressing the "go" button. ;-)

It is possible that your scanner is capable of representing the artwork
more accurately. The first step is to understand the differences between
the result that you got and that which you want. If you can describe that
accurately, you may be able to adjust the scanner's controls to compensate
for the differences, or at least get close enough that the rest of the
work could be done in an image editor.

If the above suggestion seems beyond your skills and knowledge, then it
probably would be beneficial to find someone to do the work for you.

Regards,

Neil

Old July 25th 07, 07:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Barry Watzman

This should not be a problem, really. Scan in color (at least 36 bit
color), 300 or 600 dpi, and do a preview scan and adjust the 3 exposure
controls (the names vary, I call them black level, white level and
gamma, but you can find a good half-dozen names for each) to JUST not
clip (at either dark or light ends) and for what looks like proper
rendering of mid-tones.

You should be able to capture the image just about perfectly, even with
a relatively cheap scanner (cheap is usually ok, but it does have to be
working properly). The problem is that most people don't really know
how to use their scanner software, and for that matter don't know enough
about light, color or photography to even understand the terms necessary
to describe what is going on.

Old July 25th 07, 11:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
CSM1

"CSM1" wrote in message
et...
wrote in message
ps.com...
I had some sketches (simple pictures; color) made by an artist that I
would like to get into an electronic format. These sketches will be
customized on the computer with text and then printed. I want them to
retain exactly the quality how the artist drew them. I have a cheap
HP scanner that doesn't seem to be doing this. Anyone have
suggestions how to do this?

In the future, would it be beneficial to find a computer graphic
artist? I assume they would costs more to do this work.

How to scan graphics (line art).
http://www.scantips.com/basics04.html

The results depend on your skill in using your scanner and the tools you
have available.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
--

I missed the color part. The above page is a good starting place, but you do
need to scan in color.

This page is a good starting place on getting great scans in color.
http://www.scantips.com/simple.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 26th 07, 06:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Mike Russell

wrote in message
ps.com...
I had some sketches (simple pictures; color) made by an artist that I
would like to get into an electronic format. These sketches will be
customized on the computer with text and then printed. I want them to
retain exactly the quality how the artist drew them. I have a cheap
HP scanner that doesn't seem to be doing this. Anyone have
suggestions how to do this?

There have been several good responses. I would add that we can help more
if you either describe the problem you're seeing, or post example images on
a photo site like flickr, and provide a link to them here.

In the future, would it be beneficial to find a computer graphic
artist? I assume they would costs more to do this work.

Certainly, and you can also do it yourself, provided you have the time to
spend. Use the money you save to go out to several fancy dinners :-)
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Old July 27th 07, 07:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Barry Watzman

Although your comment about color gamuts is entirely correct, in most
cases, as a practical matter to the untrained eye, the real issue is
more one of color calibration than of gamut. While the printer (or
monitor) can not reproduce every color, it can reproduce MOST colors
EXACTLY, and it can get close on the rest. But if it isn't calibrated,
it won't even be trying to reproduce the same color.

[In this situation, calibration involves both the scanner, the display
and the printer(s)]

Bob Williams wrote:
wrote:
"I want them to retain EXACTLY the quality how the artist drew them."

No Can Do!!
No inkjet printer or scanner can reproduce the entire gamut of colors
that are available in Artists' paints, pigments or inks.
Going from an original color sketch to a scanned image to a print only
compounds the problem of the limited color gamut of each device.
Having said that, I must report that I have made inkjet prints of
original Watercolor paintings that I scanned on my Canon 8400F, and
printed on the same paper as the original with my Canon Pixma iP3000
printer that looked very close to the original.
However,when placed side-by-side, subtle color differences were obvious.
Bob Williams

HP printer re scanning S S Printers 0 February 1st 07 08:30 AM
scanning HCRychener Dell Computers 5 June 6th 05 10:22 AM
1/4 X 2 1/4 Scanning [email protected] Scanners 4 November 5th 04 04:03 PM
ANN: Scanning to PDF Paul-dude Scanners 0 January 29th 04 01:05 PM
Scanning Microfiches CSM1 Scanners 3 October 23rd 03 07:32 PM