Overclocking Nvidia card in Vista

Old January 14th 07, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Danny

Default Overclocking Nvidia card in Vista

I apologise in advance if this has been asked already, but I did have a look
and saw nothing.

Basically, is there any known way of overclocking your Nvidia card in Vista?

Coolbits doesn't work now, and I don't believe any of the 3rd party
utilities do either.

My card is literally built for overclocking, so I am missing out on a fair
whack of performance if I can't ramp up the speed.

Although, just as an aside, are there any plans for Nvidia to abandon the
quite appalling new interface they've 'ingeniously' devised with the newer
sets of Forceware and at least give Vista users the option of reverting the
front end back to the classic control panel? The new look is so incredibly
poor and extremely hard to use, not to mention apparently limited in
functionality. I can't see any of the usual features bar the rudimentary 3d
settings and some desktop quality settings.

Thanks in advance.

Old January 14th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Danny wrote:
[...]

All good points, please complain just as politely and clearly he

http://support.nvidia.com/apps/EndUserSupport/index.asp

(link to nvidia bug reporting, requires nv online registration, link to
registration on page)

Old February 8th 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Frank Furter

Yes VERY well put... We doo need to get these back the way they were,,

Vista however has only given me TWO issues... Pinnacle Studio doesn't work
there (YET) but I can not blame MS for that... However Bit torrents don't
seem to work either... However everythingelse is Awesome... FAr cry runs
just fine the user face is wonderfull and media center is new to me and I'm
lovin' it ... The beta extras I've found are AWESOME.
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 8th 07, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

On Jan 13, 4:11 pm, "Danny" wrote:
I apologise in advance if this has been asked already, but I did have a look
and saw nothing.

Basically, is there any known way of overclocking your Nvidia card in Vista?

Coolbits doesn't work now, and I don't believe any of the 3rd party
utilities do either.

At this time, doing this 'in vista' (I assume you mean a utility/
coolbits/what have you) seems to be a no-go. I've had some luck
with certain utilities, but the behavior is not consistent, and I
hesitate to say any are worthwhile at this instant. Part of the pain
of
a new OS/card/drivers...

You can of course, if you're hell-bent on overclocking, just flash the
GPU bios with different clocks. On the 8800, you can use this method
to change any or all of the three (ROPs, shader, memory). Be *sure*
you know what you're doing, have another vid card avaialble to boot
should you
ooops (cheapo pci/pci-e is fine), and be aware that should you
*really* screw up, you may end up with an expensive paperweight.
Also, this method means the card is running at your new clocks, with
no way to down-clock it for a given mode should you not need/want the
speed, for the
same reasons you can't dynamically overclock it right now - no S/W
seems to do it properly at this time.