If you had $1000 to spend on a monitor.

Old May 31st 15, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Default If you had $1000 to spend on a monitor.

For what it's worth, I've had great long term use (and quality, IMO) out
of Dell Ultra-sharp monitors. I've got 2 that have been running for 5
and 7 years respectfully. Price is a bit north of $300.
Old May 31st 15, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 31 May 2015 16:31:33 -0400, Bill
wrote:

For what it's worth, I've had great long term use (and quality, IMO) out
of Dell Ultra-sharp monitors. I've got 2 that have been running for 5
and 7 years respectfully. Price is a bit north of $300.

Monitors/IPS. Yep, Dell's the name in that regard, which some like.
To get out of color fidelity and into real estate, it's a simple
matter of averaging across the lowest national prices for the largest
monitors. My 40" is pretty close to a value coefficient for that, if
not skewed off for larger than 40".

Snob appeal. Buy a big item at a busy Best Buy and put it on the cart
for heading out. They, people, don't even look twice at a boxed sized
with a 40" -- takes a 50-60" to get that nod of approval, respect, eye
appeal for keeping up factoring with the Joneses.

Dell...mention the name and wouldn't be surprised, least I wouldn't,
how few could make the association. (Me all my snob appeal, I focus
into audio gear mostly outside but in serving computer-generated
sound. Blacks, and only recently, I can appreciate in a monitor. I've
painted/sold in oils, so computer generated variants off 3 computer
approximations to the primaries will never be a palette comprising
such as earth-mineral color true pigmentation dyes. Not that they're
any less superficial to ad-copy or commercial advertising treatment
given for "gloss," what amounts to aesthetic appreciation these days.)

Last "Dell" I bought was a keyboard, actually. It was then sold for
an Omnikey, and then and last sold for a Focus. I'm still typing on
the Focus when I wore down the Omnikey. (Probably should break down
and get a real gaming keyboard with Cherry switches, ditch my
TrackBall, and update for a super-duper mouse with rows and of driver
assignable buttons. One of these days.)
Old May 31st 15, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
(Probably should break down and get a real gaming keyboard with Cherry
switches, ditch my TrackBall, and update for a super-duper mouse with
rows and of driver assignable buttons. One of these days.)

Microsoft "natural" (i.e. curved) keyboard are easy on the fingers. I
like the assignable buttons too.
BB will even match Amazon's price of about $25, I think. Nope,
$26.74--just checked. Well,I only paid $25. After 8 years or so, it was
starting to feel like there was "dust under a few of the keys" or
something like that. Over here, "gaming" means Backgammon.
Old June 1st 15, 08:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 5/31/2015 12:08 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 06:31:19 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

Everything originates at the manufacturer but some if not most or all
provide BB and most likely other Big Box stores with special versions
that are not the same and can have less than what you think you're
getting when you shop for a product in good faith. As I mentioned Best
Buy may have an extra digit in the serial number indicating you may not
be getting what you think you are.

I guess sometimes it just doesn't matter as life goes on no matter what.

BB also has a "restocking" fee for many returned items if you're
completely unhappy. Something else to consider. I was ripped off by them
once when I bought a Sony Camcorder. The salesman lied to me about their
"plan" about getting a new and better battery if needed. One thing about
those "plans" is if you ask to see it in writing they hand you a
pamphlet and tell you that "it's all online for you to read". That's
after you pay and get it home. Many people don't bother to fight that
kind of underhandedness and keep what they got.

I have a Sony-kv-32xbr100-tv

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...kv-32xbr100-tv

Still going strong. I can't lift the elephant in the room but it was
the top of the line in 1995. Still working like the day it was new.

Can't say I remember ever buying Amazon brand of anything.

We're doomed to forever buying things at Wal-mart made in China and
other places. Can't ever change that.

Sometimes it better to pay for the top of the line. You have a better
chance of getting something that out lasts the bargain buy. I have more
things stashed away that still work perfect than I do junk. Now if I can
find a bargain time machine...........

I'd read the reviews, at BestBuy, favorably remarking one reviewer
opinion the "Toshiba rebadging" into Insignia a likelihood. For $250
it's the best quality 40" screen I've owned;- having had it half a
year and without "calling in" on the extra $50 warrantee cost or with
that experience to judge (three customer warrantee calls, on the
product, to BestBuy's contracted/outsourced Geek Squad, and they'll
"wash their hands" by providing the customer a new/comparable unit.
It's all free, everything's taken care of, as stipulated within that
$50 policy's writing, up until that point and the 3rd call.)

I've had bad experiences, too, with BestBuy. Nothing but a monitor
and only a monitor, one I could trust: It was with pure and
despondent desperation, that I turned to BestBuy this time, directly
after the Walmart Sceptre unit broke within a year to the date of
purchase. As I see it, BestBuy want's to assure people that cannot
happen with their own Insignia housebrand monitor.

Yep. That 1995 Sony you've got there is quite some relic. Knew
someone who went cross-state to a Sony sponsored training session for
electronics repairmen at authorized Sony repair facilities. He came
back very impressed. But you're not kidding when you say you want to
drop a $1000 into a monitor.

I take the opposite approach. I want to spend the least amount
feasible for what satisfies the most people possible. A dollar cost
averaging approach, I suppose. People, as a whole, of course don't
want to spend $1000 -- they want to spend the least possible and not
be screwed during the process;- with the prosumer laws in this
country, I believe, or would like to, that's possible. If this
BestBuy Insignia works for 5 years, I'll be satisfied I got my money's
worth.

The early 1990's Olevia/Syntax 232-S12
is a replacement. The first one broke within 6 months and was a
different model. They actually had me, based from a call I made to
their tech dept., with parts they shipped in me, and the monitor on a
blanket face down and disassembled and replacing them. Parts didn't
fix it and the second call, someone else, who said I shouldn't have
been doing that (for them). So they sent me this present model, which
replaced the prior model -- whether broken and factory recertified is
possible.

I'm happy your story is a good one. I'm sure there are many and
outweigh the dissatisfied customer complaints by a large margin. I,
myself, would never engage in a repair and surely don't have the time to
be home when someone arrives to pickup or drop off anything. Unless that
might be on a day off but that time is better spent and more valuable
than what I get paid to do at my day job. I've been lucky, I guess, not
to have had anything major break down. That's why I'd be more apt to pay
well for the best as in the washer/dryer category than most. Maybe I'm a
bit extreme but I firmly believe "you get what you pay for" and "if you
have to ask what it costs then you can't afford it" approach. I consider
myself luck to he healthy, happy and satisfied with my life style. Got
no X-wive(s) or X-children, or any for that matter so I have it all and
"You can't take it with you".

Old June 1st 15, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:35:56 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Microsoft "natural" (i.e. curved) keyboard are easy on the fingers. I
like the assignable buttons too.
BB will even match Amazon's price of about $25, I think. Nope,
$26.74--just checked. Well,I only paid $25. After 8 years or so, it was
starting to feel like there was "dust under a few of the keys" or
something like that. Over here, "gaming" means Backgammon.

Curved is one keyboard I never adapted to, however ergonomically
muscle physics and placement works. I've enough tactile feedback to
say I like a little more resistance over none with a membrane. But,
these are old mechanical keyboards and I haven't tried a lot of
refinements since with the newer gradients of mechanical keyboards.
Newegg might feature a Rosewil brand, off from $100 to $50 on
occasional sales. Perhaps the most popular of one of the four styles
to mechanical resistance available.

Dust could be less a likelihood for retensioning, more or less simply
replacing springs swapped off their posts from beneath a less-used key
with a fresh/newer spring. Might work. Eventually the lifespan of the
sensors manifest permanent runaaaaaaaway damage.
Old June 1st 15, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 03:12:40 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

[...]

It's pretty much all from China, as you said earlier. It's nice to be
able to aim for a focus of research on practical consideration, at
least when they're there and somewhat tangible.

I did go that route with a washer after a bad experience with a front
loader from GE. Went with a Japanese LG unit, a much better
functional approach than a logic to the GE, although I can't yet say
how well a 10-yr direct power train to the tub (no belts) will overall
affect longevity.

Sort of -- more or less an essential commodity, I was able to angle
within a final sale price by obtaining military release papers for a
veteran's discount.

More expensive, because "obviously" it's "the" better brandname in
premier quality you can trust, when you can afford to step out ahead
from those whom cannot.

There's no denying an element manufacturers would like to be seen and
perceived for tangible representation, if at all, from bygone days
when that particular motif perhaps held greater sway [over
premeditated obsolescence]. Somewhat difficult, though, to assay and
apply to my 2015 model, $20,000 Toyota truck -- the cheapest 5-spd.
manual vehicle I could conceive, to pay cash for, with a mind to
potential longevity and low-repair maintenance. Sitting aside the
ghetto boom-blasters in $35,000-$50,000 SUV abortions, located among
demographically the highest for road-rage factoring, house-sized
flash-tinsel abominations that service a nation's ideal for
self-realization, that they're trash, simply convenient irrelevance
for signing to the dotted line to a "payment plan," from paycheck to
shirtpocked and not much remaining liquidity but for dogfood.

Maybe you are extreme in that regard. The goal of savings, as you
say, though, is to spend your last and only remaining dime on the very
last and only remaining day, upon which you die. That's called cost
efficacy. That's called living everyday before that day.

Like you, perhaps, I'm among the nation's top 10% of money-holders: In
terms of liquidity, what I can stack and how high, now, on a table in
front of your eyes.

Unlike you, spending it, that's a different story, entirely.

-
Greek proverb: They don't get that way for nothing.
Old June 2nd 15, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

wrote:

[...]

I also bought the top of line LG after looking at all the rest. My
belief is they are all the same at a certain price. It's called
competition. You can spend less but you get less.

Sort of -- more or less an essential commodity, I was able to angle
within a final sale price by obtaining military release papers for a
veteran's discount.

I have never heard of such a discount. I'm a vet from the wars of a
different era. I think people were much smarter then.

More expensive, because "obviously" it's "the" better brandname in
premier quality you can trust, when you can afford to step out ahead
from those whom cannot.

Not much brandage vis-a-vis American made like RCA and others used to be.
"Walmart’s ‘Made In USA’ Televisions Are Allegedly Made In China"

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...de-in-america/

There's no denying an element manufacturers would like to be seen and
perceived for tangible representation, if at all, from bygone days
when that particular motif perhaps held greater sway [over
premeditated obsolescence]. Somewhat difficult, though, to assay and
apply to my 2015 model, $20,000 Toyota truck -- the cheapest 5-spd.
manual vehicle I could conceive, to pay cash for, with a mind to
potential longevity and low-repair maintenance. Sitting aside the
ghetto boom-blasters in $35,000-$50,000 SUV abortions, located among
demographically the highest for road-rage factoring, house-sized
flash-tinsel abominations that service a nation's ideal for
self-realization, that they're trash, simply convenient irrelevance
for signing to the dotted line to a "payment plan," from paycheck to
shirtpocked and not much remaining liquidity but for dogfood.

Driving a big truck is like a status symbol going by the people I
know. I usually have several vehicles. One to drive through the crime
scene to and from work, one to go shopping in knowing I'm most likely
going to get dinged and one to cruise to that out of the way ice cream
store with the XYL on a Sunday.

Maybe you are extreme in that regard. The goal of savings, as you
say, though, is to spend your last and only remaining dime on the very
last and only remaining day, upon which you die. That's called cost
efficacy. That's called living everyday before that day.

My father died in credit card debt because it wasn't taken away in
time. One of the last things he charged was a new car when he went out
for a repair. They saw him coming.

Like you, perhaps, I'm among the nation's top 10% of money-holders: In
terms of liquidity, what I can stack and how high, now, on a table in
front of your eyes.

Unlike you, spending it, that's a different story, entirely.

I don't mind spending now. It's now or never. Father Time has that
clock ticking away faster each year.

-
Greek proverb: They don't get that way for nothing.

Old June 3rd 15, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 15:56:12 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

I also bought the top of line LG after looking at all the rest. My
belief is they are all the same at a certain price. It's called
competition. You can spend less but you get less.

More than just all the same. I ran into that with researching
refrigerators. The underlying mechanics will be no different, but the
outside design is changed for the various brandnames.

I have never heard of such a discount. I'm a vet from the wars of a
different era. I think people were much smarter then.

Believe both Home Depot and Lowes will cut you a percentage off,
including existing sales, with a veterans card or release forms.
....Check it out and be even smarter, yet.

Not much brandage vis-a-vis American made like RCA and others used to be.
"Walmart’s ‘Made In USA’ Televisions Are Allegedly Made In China"

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...de-in-america/

Driving a big truck is like a status symbol going by the people I
know. I usually have several vehicles. One to drive through the crime
scene to and from work, one to go shopping in knowing I'm most likely
going to get dinged and one to cruise to that out of the way ice cream
store with the XYL on a Sunday.

I'd probably settle on one vehicle if I could get away it, maybe a
little tiny "smart car" for possibly $13K. The 'status symbol of
crime scene' is very real and I've been a victim. Lady in six lane
secondary road -- speed limit 40mph -- racing, doing aggressiveness
crossed over the median and smashed head on into me;- cop said nobody
at fault because an "alleged truck" caused her, from going too fast,
to further loose it and cross into oncoming traffic.

I had a backup vehicle then, also have one now, although I'd rather
one and nothing more than suited my means and needs.

My father died in credit card debt because it wasn't taken away in
time. One of the last things he charged was a new car when he went out
for a repair. They saw him coming.

I'd stick them, as a son on general purposes, with a lawsuit.

I don't mind spending now. It's now or never. Father Time has that
clock ticking away faster each year.

When I didn't have money I got by doing without. When I had a little
more I started using a computer to research and try and nail exactly
what best would serve a general inkling of want for need. Now that I
have it, (again largely through use and application of computers to a
specifics of economics and savings), old habits of supplanting want to
specifications and a utility of actual needfulness, consequent
materialism as an advertising medium just seems shallow and
uninteresting, as would spending money for the sake of spending it.

Different roads and strokes for different folks. I've no problem with
rich people who "wear" money well;...vainglory people, however,
conditioned and living on a stage of advertising materialism, well, I
suppose enough already has been said about the second-oldest
profession since people began stamping coins.
Old June 5th 15, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

wrote:

[...]

I see those Smart Cars but all the drivers seem so dumb. I'd rather
ride a motor cycle again. I do have dash cams mounted front and rear and
have won be more than one argument at the crime scene.

I had a backup vehicle then, also have one now, although I'd rather
one and nothing more than suited my means and needs.

My father died in credit card debt because it wasn't taken away in
time. One of the last things he charged was a new car when he went out
for a repair. They saw him coming.

I'd stick them, as a son on general purposes, with a lawsuit.

I wish I could. My ole lady is still alive and just won't let me do
the right thing. At 90 there is no changing her or prying that "good
book" out of her hands.

[...]

I am purposely opposite from some people I know and work with. One guy
will spend hours of paid time looking to save 5 bucks.

Penny wise pound foolish?

Old June 6th 15, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 03:37:40 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

I am purposely opposite from some people I know and work with. One guy
will spend hours of paid time looking to save 5 bucks.

Sounds like how my father was fond to describe me.

Penny wise pound foolish?

I've three I'll have you know: a 1 pound, 3 pound, and a 5 pound;- I
converted the 3-pound for a hammer-length on a slightly thicker
handle, and the 5-pound mallet I swing, marginally short from 3/4 the
length of a regular tree-axe handle.