got a free phenom II

Old May 19th 15, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default got a free phenom II

Damn, somebody just gave me this processor. Almost twice as fast as
my current quad phenom (2.2ghz) - only it's not listed on the MB
support list (Gigabyte m61pme-s2 ). Damn, I just may have to plug it
anyway to be extra sure about that...might be Taiwan documentation is
tardy... .

Twice as fast at 65watts might do some serious contending with the
usual fare for programming I throw at the current populated quad
(Phenom X4 9550).

--
HDX511OCK23GM is an OEM/tray microprocessor
Frequency ? 3400 MHz
Bus speed ? 667 MHz Memory controller
One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link (4 GT/s)
Clock multiplier ? 17
Package 938-pin organic micro-PGA
Sockets Socket AM2+
Socket AM3
Weight 1.4oz / 39.4g
Introduction date January 2011
Microarchitecture K10
Platform Dragon
Manufacturing process 0.045 micron silicon-on-insulator (SOI) The
number of cores 2
The number of threads 2
Level 2 cache size ? 2 x 1 MB 16-way set associative exclusive
Low power features Cool'n'Quiet 3.0
Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333
Thermal Design Power ? 65 Watt
Old May 19th 15, 09:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

It's a Regor

and there are some Regor chips in the support list
for your board. It might work. But it's not officially
in the list, so perhaps the BIOS won't recognize it.

It's a dual core, while your current one is a quad.

Paul
Old May 19th 15, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 19 May 2015 04:52:32 -0400, Paul wrote:

It's a Regor

and there are some Regor chips in the support list
for your board. It might work. But it's not officially
in the list, so perhaps the BIOS won't recognize it.

It's a dual core, while your current one is a quad.

Also a 2011 Regor for a lot newer technology than I usually end up
running with based on dollar cost averaging. Originally I equipped
that board with a Simperon - which could barely move out of its own
way. Two CPU updates past that and to the quad. I'm probably
dreaming about the Regor actually posting.

Happens I looked at new Gigabyte boards, and about $70 should cover
that processor (2 Fx series platforms, Phenom II and Athlon II) with a
board I liked. What I didn't like was Newegg's stocked processor
offerings. Hardly anything compared to what a wide array of CPU
revisions a newer Gigabyte board is capable of handling.

It might be a lot more than just a dual 3.4Ghz core compared to the
quad running at a third speed slower and drawing close to a third more
power. Dunno, have to dig up and reconfigure that last set of
programming groups capable of choking down either the quad or an older
dual Athlon, both at 2.2Ghz. Spinning wheels and not really going
anywhere faster or necessarily better, as I've already evaluated such
programs as did draw on the CPU well enough to determine a more
efficient, alternative program groupings for good results without the
CPU imposition.

What can I say...other than it's a gaming world in that regard with a
bulk of practical programming ends unable to efficiently drive
multicores...in a roundabout way leading back to an additional one
gigahertz clockspeed poses by advange to the Regor. Might being less
likely than any chance I'll see it POST on board I'm running, however
close that may be for not really supporting it.
Old May 29th 15, 02:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

It's a Regor

and there are some Regor chips in the support list
for your board. It might work. But it's not officially
in the list, so perhaps the BIOS won't recognize it.

It's a dual core, while your current one is a quad.

Paul

I still have a PC with Regor CPU. It seems faster for single-threaded stuff,
probably due to the large L2 cache.
Old May 29th 15, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 29 May 2015 06:41:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It's a Regor

I still have a PC with Regor CPU. It seems faster for single-threaded stuff,
probably due to the large L2 cache.

Wish it might come up with this AMD2 socket (marginally BIOS patched
for AMD2+), although not within the supported list, doubt it.

I run active bandpass filters and compressors, some combined and
pretty sophisticated. Maybe 3 to 5 compressors, nice for inter-stage
volume leveling, apart main filter, Eq leveling, while the rest are
set flat for mastering levels (@vol leveling) or for on an occasion
high-filter switch.

Singling out them from a field of perhaps 50 digital processing aides
took some time. And they do use all four cores, apart from two cores
at the same clock rate that falter and introduce sound artifacts.

Though it would seem, from utilities to monitoring cores, to impose
threads in favor of one core, while the rest show some token usage,
only not as a fuller load as that one core exhibits.

The Regor given to me is a third again faster than the quad's rated
clock speed, and well may provide the same efficacy by brute force
(less perhaps caching involved, as it's a streaming thing, operating
on continual variables from streamed audio).

Whether to buy a MB for it might matter less, other than trying it out
if at all for consequent temperatures;- An AM3+ socket should be much
more pliable with a variety of processors, optionally including lower
wattage CPU models than the Regor.

I'm maxed out on the best available CPU, running somewhat hot, and
evidently close to barriers of what newer software can do to older
hardware when outclassing it. Damn nice, those audio-processing
plug-in aides -- although, do believe I've picked from the very best
all they can presently manage without any undue fluff. Playback on
studio grade gear, been a little while back and haven't at present the
setup to a recording scenario.