Refilling HP 45 and 78

Old August 20th 09, 03:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Default Refilling HP 45 and 78

I'd like suggestions for good refill supplies (especially ink)
for these cartridges. Of course, I'll share my own experiences.

My Standards: I'm doing everyday printing with three different HP
priters: two 940s and one Photosmart 1115. Note that I do not
print photos.

For black ink:
I first tried a Universal (this is a brand!) black kit. I know
that it's not printer-specific, but the results were completely
acceptable for black printing.

I'm about to try the InkTec black kit.

Color:
I had excellent results with the iColor refill kit. This is an
InkTec second brand. I don't have any idea why they bother
putting out their stuff under a different brand name. I see no
reason why it differs from the InkTec product in any way.

The iColor/InkTec kit is respectful of the user. The ink
containers are unique designs that are easy to use. The needles
are a good length for getting the business done and keeping out
of trouble. They're blunted. They're also threaded so that you
can use them with other threaded syringes.

InkTec's kits come with a nice accessory: a little sucker
contraption that does a nice job of priming a cartridge. One's
included with the color kit; a different type comes with the
black kit.

Atlantic Inkjet:
I bought the color kit because their ink has been recommended
here in the past. The refill kit price was very good. However, my
experience has been negative.

First, the supplied needles are too long. The instructions tell
the user to push them all the way into the cartridge (which
they're too long for). When used as directed, I trashed the print
heads of two valuable cartridges from the inside!

I've had other problems: two more cartridges burned out (one
printer says cart is no good; the other says that the same cart
is not properly seated). I've experienced a high rate of bubbling
even though I've filled the cartridges carefully using the InkTec
needles. I'm suspecting a problem with the ink itself.

I've tried the InkTec sucker tool and also the "Whirl In The
Sock" method. Nothing's worked much. And now I have more trashed
than usable cartridges. Bummer.

And the Atlantic needles aren't only too long: they're authentic
"sharps" as well: so don't go injecting ink into your arm!
So, whose supplies have worked well for you with these cartridges?

TIA

Richard
Old August 20th 09, 02:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al[_5_]

On Aug 19, 10:20 pm, Richard Steinfeld
wrote:
[...]

The 45 and 78 are great carts. I fill the 45 with pigmented ink if I
have it or the universal, which is a dye, when necessary. I have
modified the inlet at the bottom by creating a beveled edge to accept
a tapered 8-32 screw after tapping the hole. When I replace the screw
I place rubber cement around the head before final tightening. There
is never a leak this way. I have also used hot melt glue, but never
tape as the risk is too great.

The 78 is a tough cookie without some practice. I'd like to find a
good spongeless 78, but they seem to be off the market. I tried to
make my own, but it dripped too much. The secret to the 78 for me has
been to fill the colors from the top and "burb" each one with the cart
upside down using a tightly sealed syringe. I blow until the air is
out and ink starts to flow. To do this you have to be able to seal the
holes not being burped so ink won't run all over your hand and desk. I
use set screws for those holes temporarily too. The ink I use is dye
based universal ink, same as I pour in an S800 and i950 Canon.
Old August 21st 09, 02:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
tomcas

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
[...]

I like MIS Associates at http://www.inksupply.com for HP bulk ink and
supplies and have been using them for several years.
The black cartridge fills real easy with a Snap and fill adapter.
http://www.inksupply.com/snapfill45.cfm
It's a lot quicker and cleaner then popping out the ball, and squeezing
the cartridge with a clamp. The adapter covers the print head and the
attached syringe is used to first collapse the foil bag inside and
removes the remaining ink. Then a full charge of ink (42ml) is injected
back in. This way the foil bag will always have a slight vacuum, which
keeps the ink from dripping out. If you are refilling a small capacity
black 21ml (45G) you can still inject a full 42 ml but remember to just
reset the level indicator the first time it shows empty with out
actually refilling it. I like to just write on the side of the cartridge
with a fine permanent marker to make it easier to keep track of refills
and resets.
The color refills are a little more involved. You have to drill out the
vent plugs on the top. I just push them into the cartridge with a pen.
Then you insert a long needle thru the foam interior to the bottom of
cartridge near the print head and slowly inject the proper color ink.
The key here is to avoid creating an air trap. That's why it's important
to get the needle to the bottom. The middle chamber has a screen inside
so the needle won't go as far. Don't force it or you will pop the screen
with the sharp needle tip. It's a lot easier if you have 3 syringes and
3 needles so you can complete the job without having to clean up in
between. The MIS kit comes with only one needle so buy a couple of extra
4” ones. Clean up is very easy with water but wear rubber gloves just in
case. After refilling I use the primer clip which works like a champ
to remove trapped air.
http://www.inksupply.com/html/pdf/HP...snap-n-vac.pdf
If any of the colors are not printing cleanly you can purge by printing
just the primary color as required. I create a document in word that has
3 blocks of the colors and adjust the size of the blocks as needed.
After you refill you are going to have to reset the level indicator to
have the level correctly indicated. You can still print when it shows
empty but you risk burning out the resistors when the cartridge
eventually runs dry. This seems a waste since you can refill several
times if you are careful to avoid this. There are several methods to
accomplish this but I think the easiest it the 3 cartridge swap method
so save your old cartridges. In any case, whichever method is used, it
is not necessary to print a calibration page each time you swap
cartridges or tape positions. Just close the lid and wait for a second
set of printer feed sounds before reopening the lid. Removing the color
cartridge and turning the printer on and off four times worked to reset
my color level once but did not work on the black.
Old September 4th 09, 08:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

justme wrote:
I normally use inktec for my refills but now just get their bulk ink

Where do you buy their ink in bulk. The place where I bought
their kits only sells the kits; no ink.

TIA

Richard
Old September 11th 09, 04:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fritz Wuehler

Out of curiosity I once took apart the black 45 cartridge that was reported
as empty. Big mistake. Once I got the hard plastic outer shell off what
was exposed looked like an aluminum foil bag. I messed with it a bit more,
don't think I punctured the bag.

All of sudden the thing starts blowing up like it's inflating or something.
And then I look at my hands and the desk and they are covered in black ink.
It was a real mess. Learned my lesson, don't mess with ink cartridges!

Old September 11th 09, 05:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Fritz Wuehler wrote:
Out of curiosity I once took apart the black 45 cartridge

All of sudden the thing starts blowing up like it's inflating or something.
And then I look at my hands and the desk and they are covered in black ink.
It was a real mess.

"I hate when I do that."

Richard

Refilling HP 11 cartridges Ken Birks Printers 0 November 11th 04 09:22 AM
Refilling Ink Cartidges Fred Printers 0 November 9th 04 07:33 AM
which toner for refilling? Bernd Maier Printers 0 November 5th 03 08:46 PM
which toner for refilling? Bernd Maier Printers 0 November 5th 03 08:46 PM
Refilling HP #56 & #57 JLynn Printers 1 October 6th 03 11:45 AM