do i have a 9700 or 9700 PRO?

Old October 3rd 03, 05:14 AM
zlo

Default do i have a 9700 or 9700 PRO?

Ok, i bought a 9700 PRO online a couple of months ago. I had never learned
of the core/memory frequencies until yesterday, which are supposed to be 325
and 310 respectively. My system boots, and my omega drivers clock rate tells
me it is running at 276.75/270. When i click use Bios defaults, it still
boots up into 276/270.

Also, when i'm using programs and it asks to make sure i want to use the
default card, it says 'RADEON 9500 PRO/9700'. It also says that in my
display options, and everywhere else that describes what card i have.

Also, when i try to clock it up to 325/310 where it should be for a PRO, my
system reverts to ****ty colors and resolution and says my device failed.

My question is, did i get screwed and receive a 9700 and not a 9700 PRO, and
why would it fail it it's intended clock speeds?

--
www.geocities.com/mtb2k -my site

Old October 3rd 03, 05:17 AM
zlo

Also, how do i find out for sure which card it is??

Old October 3rd 03, 05:34 AM
Paul Turnbull

"zlo" wrote in message
[...]

276/270 is the exact clock speed of a Non-Pro card AFAIK. The details you've
provided indicate that your card is not a Pro. What brand of card is it?

Old October 3rd 03, 05:55 AM
zlo

well it is a 'built by ati' card, but no particular brand like sapphire if
that is what you mean. it didn't come in a retail box. brown box with driver
cd, and connecters for dvi or whatever.

Old October 3rd 03, 06:03 AM
Paul Turnbull

"zlo" wrote in message
well it is a 'built by ati' card, but no particular brand like sapphire if
that is what you mean. it didn't come in a retail box. brown box with

driver
cd, and connecters for dvi or whatever.

--

It definitely sounds like a non-Pro card, but I'm not sure how you can
verify this. Where did you buy the card from? Did the guy over the counter

Old October 3rd 03, 06:04 AM
Paul Turnbull

"Paul Turnbull" wrote in message

"zlo" wrote in message
well it is a 'built by ati' card, but no particular brand like sapphire

if
that is what you mean. it didn't come in a retail box. brown box with

driver
cd, and connecters for dvi or whatever.

--

It definitely sounds like a non-Pro card, but I'm not sure how you can
verify this. Where did you buy the card from? Did the guy over the counter
say it was a Pro card or was it ordered over the web?

Doh! Not thinking straight there. It's six in the morning over here!

Do you have a email receipt?

Old October 3rd 03, 07:13 AM
zlo

It was ordered from pcwonderinc.com. I do have a receipt for the item.

I notice that ATI says the part number has to start with a 102, and should
be on a bar code sticker. Well, there is a place for the sticker on the card
'Place permanent P/N, Barcode, & S/N Product Label Here'. But there is not
sticker.. and the PN number printed on the board itself starts with 109, and
so it won't work with ATI site's product search.

I am assuming the card is a regular 9700 since i cannot even clock it up to
a Pro's normal speeds without it failing and reverting my desktop back to
like 8 colors and crap resolution.. and since the clock rates match up with
a 9700 coincidentally....

Old October 3rd 03, 04:36 PM
LeeB18509

Seems they make this "mistake" quite a bit.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4741-p3.html

Old October 3rd 03, 05:33 PM
Paul Turnbull

"zlo" wrote in message
It was ordered from pcwonderinc.com. I do have a receipt for the item.

I notice that ATI says the part number has to start with a 102, and

should
be on a bar code sticker. Well, there is a place for the sticker on the

card
'Place permanent P/N, Barcode, & S/N Product Label Here'. But there is

not
sticker.. and the PN number printed on the board itself starts with 109,

and
so it won't work with ATI site's product search.

I am assuming the card is a regular 9700 since i cannot even clock it up

a Pro's normal speeds without it failing and reverting my desktop back

like 8 colors and crap resolution.. and since the clock rates match up

with
a 9700 coincidentally....

That comments page makes scary reading. Sounds like you've been shafted
zlo - intentionally or not. You ordered a 9700 Pro and received a non-Pro.
It's frightening to think how many people may not have noticed that they're
running a slower card.

I guess it's up to you now to send an email complete with receipt and the
details of your non-Pro card demanding a replacement. If they deny
responsibility, kindly provide them with that link.

I'm not sure how the system works over your side of the pond though. Over
here (UK) we have the Consumer Protection Act, a law that gives you
extensive rights and can override a company's return policy. Do you have an
equivalent?

Keep us updated if anything happens.

Good luck!