POWER SUPPLY FOR AN OLD DELL

Old July 1st 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Scotty Silton

Default POWER SUPPLY FOR AN OLD DELL

I have a friend who has what was back in 2000 the top of the line Dell
desktop computer. Lately she has been having problems with getting the
computer to start up and has been forced to keep it running so she can use
it. The problem is related to the power supply and since it's a Dell, the
power supply is proprietary and therefore any replacement power supply has
to be a Dell also.

My question is, can she call Dell and get a replacement, or would she be
better off seeing if she can get one off of E-Bay? She doesn't want to get
a new computer because she has a game on her old Dell that only works under
Windows 98 and not XP.

Thanks,
Scotty

Old July 1st 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

Scotty Silton wrote:
I have a friend who has what was back in 2000 the top of the line Dell
desktop computer. Lately she has been having problems with getting the
computer to start up and has been forced to keep it running so she can use
it. The problem is related to the power supply and since it's a Dell, the
power supply is proprietary and therefore any replacement power supply has
to be a Dell also.

My question is, can she call Dell and get a replacement, or would she be
better off seeing if she can get one off of E-Bay? She doesn't want to get
a new computer because she has a game on her old Dell that only works under
Windows 98 and not XP.

Thanks,
Scotty

You want Dell Spare Parts Sales, and you can find them he
http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1421000.ASP
or here;1-800-357-3355
Old July 1st 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

It all depends on the model of Dell. Many of the later Socket 478 and LGA775
systems use standard ATX12v power supplies, and you don't necessarily need a
Dell branded PSU. Other Dells use HIGHLY proprietary power supplies, either
shape and/or type of power connector. What model?

Have the inside of the chassis AND inside of the power supply both been cleaned
thoroughly of dust and dirt? Has the C2032 lithium CMOS battery EVER been
changed? I would look at these possibilities, too... Ben Myers

Old July 1st 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
It all depends on the model of Dell. Many of the later Socket 478 and
LGA775
systems use standard ATX12v power supplies, and you don't necessarily need
Dell branded PSU. Other Dells use HIGHLY proprietary power supplies,
either
shape and/or type of power connector. What model?

Have the inside of the chassis AND inside of the power supply both been
cleaned
thoroughly of dust and dirt? Has the C2032 lithium CMOS battery EVER been
changed? I would look at these possibilities, too... Ben Myers

Got money it's the black/silver 8100 with that wonderfully unique PS.......

Stew

Old July 2nd 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
It all depends on the model of Dell. Many of the later Socket 478 and
LGA775
systems use standard ATX12v power supplies, and you don't necessarily
need a
Dell branded PSU. Other Dells use HIGHLY proprietary power supplies,
either
shape and/or type of power connector. What model?

Have the inside of the chassis AND inside of the power supply both been
cleaned
thoroughly of dust and dirt? Has the C2032 lithium CMOS battery EVER
been
changed? I would look at these possibilities, too... Ben Myers

Got money it's the black/silver 8100 with that wonderfully unique
PS.......

Back in 2000 I bought my first Dell and I believe it was the top of the line
at that time, as it had the brand new 1Ghz cpu. Mine's a XPS B1000r with the
old style upright white case that has the side that slides off. A biy over
$4000 at the time.

I don't think the 8100 was out just yet.

Stew

Old July 2nd 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"HDRDTD" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

The 8100 came out somewhere during the holidays of 2000, you're right. And
if you're right and he has a beige box XPS T, XPS B or Dim4100 then the
power supply should be a bit easier to locate.

Old August 11th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul Knudsen

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:25:17 -0400, Pen wrote:

She doesn't want to get
a new computer because she has a game on her old Dell that only works under
Windows 98 and not XP.

If she got a new computer, she could partition the drive and dual-boot
98 and XP.

It sounds like her comp is toast in any event.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://journals.democraticunderground.com/top10

Dell power supply William J. Lunsford Dell Computers 13 April 22nd 05 01:17 PM
Dell Power Supply trum979 Dell Computers 18 August 18th 04 07:02 PM
power supply dell John Dell Computers 2 February 20th 04 01:07 AM
Dell 4400 power supply Grinmonger Dell Computers 4 October 21st 03 10:23 PM
Dell Power Supply HappyGirl_man Dell Computers 10 July 17th 03 01:51 AM