Inspiron 8000 - Key Came Off; Won't Stay On

Old December 18th 03, 02:30 AM
Greg Lovern

Default Inspiron 8000 - Key Came Off; Won't Stay On

The colon/semi-colon (":", ";") key came off of our Dell Inspiron
8000, and we can't seem to get it to stay back on. Any suggestions?

FWIW, my wife says another key came off a while back, and she was able
to get it to stay back on easily. We're not sure what's different
about this key.

Thanks,

Greg
Old December 18th 03, 03:29 AM
Christopher Muto

keys have two small opposing wishbone shaped plastic bits under them that
attach to tiny hole on the aluminum substrate of the keyboard. it is easy
for any of these components to be out of alignment and prevent it from being
reinstalled. the part number for a us english keyboard for the i8000 is
3609Y and sells for about $29. call dell spare parts on 1-800-879-3355
x45503 and order one. installation instructions are he
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...ve.htm#1024986
if it is under warranty then they will replace it. but if it is a mail in
warranty then they will require that you remove the hard disk, memory,
cd/floppy drive, and mail it in for service in about a 10 day turn around.
i would pay the $29 rather than be without my system for even 1 day.

om...

Old December 18th 03, 09:06 PM
Greg Lovern

After looking at Dell's faq on keyboard keys, I examined the folding
metal thing that goes right under the key, and found that one piece
was slightly bent. I carefully bent it back, and then the key went on
easily and stayed on.

Greg