Compusa good deal on some maddog accessories like Hard Disk cooler

Old June 15th 04, 10:21 AM

Default Compusa good deal on some maddog accessories like Hard Disk cooler

Luckily I saw this when I was search last night for a cooler
4.99 for a two fan underneath the HD cooler after a 5 dollar rebate

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...H&ta btype=rb

Not earth shattering if you live by some cheap mom and pop stores or
Frys or can get some cheap online place to send it to you for free but
for a lot of people who have to pay large shipping costs you can just
go to your local COMPUSA possibly and pick them up.

You can check online if they have them in stock in your area.

Still have to apply for rebates too though but in general though every
firm gets complaints Ive had really good luck with Maddog rebates as
long as you register online. You have to register the item online at
their site and get a code you use with the rebate in email.

Take a look at the rebate they have online at compusa - they are
having sales on various maddog fans and other cooling stuff too.

After installing the Maddog cooler the 200gig maxtor is running much
cooler though the specs are fairly wimpy - 21 cfm or so. Its
relatively quiet , not high rpm fans.

One thing that software I was using - Panterasoftware HDD health
monitor - I was using the latest beta version I think. Anyway - I
think it was actually causing my HDs to run hotter ironically. It was
doing weird things and making my HD lights stay on forever. One time
the temps hit 50C briefly until I turned it off and my HDs felt super
hot to the touch which prompted me to buy the cooler. After buying it
the temp range was 27 C - 36 C .

I took the software off and the constant light on problem went away.
THe HDs still run hot so Im glad Im got the cooler. I bought two but
heres another thing - you have to have an unusual case or be really
ingenious to fit more than one of these on one HD unless you have a
lot of room inbetween the HDs.
..
I have them on rails in the 5.25 inch slots right below the CD and DVD
burners. They take too much space up and the other HD coolers bottom
where the fan openings are end up resting flat against a CDrom case
etc getting no air and you cant use the bottom slot on my case - no
clearance. I could only fit one on the space between the two HDs.
That seems like enough anyway since my other 7200 120 gig maxtor
doesnt run that hot and with good spacing seems to be running about as
cool as the 200 gig with the cooler.

Im buying a front faceplate cooler for it later. Another thing -
bought one of those COMPUSA brand - couldnt figure out any way to
actually hold the usually snap on front plate in. They made it to
screw in from the sides a real hassle even if you could do it . You
cant on my case.