Replacement motherboard

Old November 10th 03, 10:34 PM
@drian

Default Replacement motherboard

Are replacement motherboards, say, from Intel, usually ones that have been
repaired from other customers or are they brand new? I contacted Intel
regarding a faulty motherboard I have and they told me when they get my
board, they'll send another one out within two business days.

@drian.

Old November 11th 03, 06:54 AM
@drian

"John" wrote in message
Ive never seen a new one as a replacement.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Anything is possible
though. When I got a replacement for my Toshiba digital camera after
the latch broke they sent me a brand new one since it was only 3
months and they didnt have any refurbs.

Not bad at all!

Im sure if your MB was abrand new model youd probably get a new one
though if its within a month or so youd get one from the dealer
probably. After that Im sure many get refurbs.

Well, it's the latest model right now, and it was bought the end of June
this year. The dealer, after 30 days, won't have anything to do with me.
They told me to go to the manufacturer.

I think alot of companies get tons of stuff back due to weird
incompatiblity quirks or incompetence from users.

Yes, agreed. In this case, a faulty motherboard that a battery of tests
prove the motherboard is at fault.

Personally speaking, I'd just rather I get a new board than something that
has been sent in by another customer, "fixed" and sent out as a replacement
to someone else.

@drian.

Old November 12th 03, 04:34 AM
@drian

" wrote in message
Well if its a brand new model then its possible you might get a new
one but since there seem to be zillions of returns almost right away
with MBs - you always see posts everywhere from people having problems
whether real or imagined - I think even then you probably wont.

That's true. I was hoping with it being a brand new model, I would get a
new one. I personally don't find it ethical for Intel to send someone a
replacement item that is actually second-hand but had been repaired; even
although the item may work

Yeah me too. I defintely wanted a new one after all the problems Ive
had with boards recently. In the "old days" when I was running Intel
stuff around the K-6 era , I never had problems with any MBs. Since
then EVERY single board Ive had - has developed qeird quirks or melted
down after 1-2 years.

Yes, agreed. I had an old Asus P3B-F I put in a server I built for someone,
that was five years ago. I called him a month or so ago and asked about his
server, it's still going. I think QA is passing boards that would have
failed a few years ago.

With all the weird quirks and talk about bad caps Im paranoid that I
would be getting a subtle problem that they didnt detect.

Yes, I know what you mean.

I bought a refurb nforce board - right now Im having some slight
problems now that Ive owned it for a a few months. Mainly stuttering
sound (sblive) and the time setting seems to go wonky after a day or
so but then Ive had TONS of worms and trojan infections that I keep
cleaning off so I really cant blame the board until I go through my
whole system and reinstall win xp clean.

Stuttering problems? That's a problem I read a lot about on AMD CPU boards.
I suppose it is possible a Trojan or Worm is causing the sound to slow down,
maybe a re-format may be in order?

Got a replacement for an ABIT 333R - which developed huge problems .

Yes, my first Abit was a BP6, the dual processor Celeron. I don't think
I've ever lost so much sleep to a motherboard. I used dual 466Mhz CPUs with
that one, it was horrible. I used NT with it and the thing froze in the
BIOS sometimes at boot, or if it didn't so that, it didn't work with several
manufacturers of RAM.

The *BEST* dual processor M/B I had, and I regret selling it, was the Intel
OR840. I can honestly say, that thing was Titanium solid! It was just the
best. Unfortunate thing was, it only went up to Intel P3 933Mhz.

The refurb replacement had a random hanging problem which I think
after tearing my hair out I think I fixed but Im not 100% sure until I
test it thoroughly with some intensive DVD ripping tests. Its
defintely better now but Ive said that many times before only to see
it pop up again.

Ach! What a nightmare! That is what I'm afraid of with Intel, they send me
one with another problem. I'm definitely not finalizing my machine (neatly
routing wires, installing all the devices) until that replacement board I
get works in all areas.

An ABIT 333 I replaced for a neighbor - he had the classic cant boot
up/post problem when we first got it. I traced it to a loose/no
contact clear CMOS jumper which I fixed . However once in a while it
still does it.

Terrible. I usually only buy Asus or Intel motherboards, they have proven
to be the most stable. Of course, I say that and my D875PBZ is faulty, with
respect to the RAID controller. I'm thinking about trying a SuperMicro
board, any experience with those?

So it seems like alot of these boards test OK but defintely have some
subtle quirks that probably caused the board to be returned. You can
work around it or tear your hair out to try to find THE fix but there
are subtle quirks.

To be honest, I'm less inclined to use work arounds unless I have to. I
find it difficult using a board I know has a fault. I'd sooner sell it on
eBay and state that it has XXX problem and buy a new one, but a different
brand.

@drian.

Old November 12th 03, 04:49 AM
stacey

@drian wrote:

Yes, agreed. I had an old Asus P3B-F I put in a server I built for
someone,
that was five years ago. I called him a month or so ago and asked about
his
server, it's still going. I think QA is passing boards that would have
failed a few years ago.

I think this is true of all hardware today. As the prices drop, they CAN'T
test them like they used to. Think about the price of Mobo's, they are the
same price as they were in the socket-7 days or less! I see tons of DOA
hardware where years ago I saw none.
--

Stacey

I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 01:40 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
Motherboard replacement dilemma... KILOWATT General 8 September 9th 03 01:54 AM
Since powersupply burnt out motherboard, what to do with components? S.Heenan General 4 August 11th 03 03:15 PM
Motherboard Monitor Settings MiniDisc_2k2 General 1 June 25th 03 01:44 AM