KVM switch issue

Old May 26th 05, 06:05 PM
Neal

Default KVM switch issue

I got one of those Belkin Soho KVM switches I use between my Mac and a
PC. When using this, I noticed a slight degradation in color and clarity
compared to when I make a direct connection to my CRT monitor. At first,
I thought it was an issue with the KVM switch, but now I'm starting to
think it's the extra VGA cables I bought (I admit, I bought some cheap,
generic brand). Anyone have any thoughts on this and could make any
recommendations on cables? Should I get SVGA? I also use the DVI to VGA
adapter on the Mac.
Old May 26th 05, 08:05 PM
philo

"Neal" wrote in message
m...
I got one of those Belkin Soho KVM switches I use between my Mac and a PC.
When using this, I noticed a slight degradation in color and clarity
compared to when I make a direct connection to my CRT monitor. At first, I
thought it was an issue with the KVM switch, but now I'm starting to think
it's the extra VGA cables I bought (I admit, I bought some cheap, generic
brand).

those cheapie cables definately do *not* do a good job

Old May 26th 05, 08:29 PM
kony

On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:05:07 GMT, Neal
wrote:

I got one of those Belkin Soho KVM switches I use between my Mac and a
PC. When using this, I noticed a slight degradation in color and clarity
compared to when I make a direct connection to my CRT monitor. At first,
I thought it was an issue with the KVM switch, but now I'm starting to
think it's the extra VGA cables I bought (I admit, I bought some cheap,
generic brand). Anyone have any thoughts on this and could make any
recommendations on cables? Should I get SVGA? I also use the DVI to VGA
adapter on the Mac.

Yes it's likely the cables, and the frequency and refresh
rate (higher being worse). The adapter won't matter nearly
so much as cables and the shortest cables possible per same
quality can help too. However you might first check whether
the cable(s) make long parallel runs alongside any other
cables (dont' do that if possible to avoid) and are kept
away from EMI emitting devices like wall-warts (power supply
transformers are most common behind a PC wiring & outlets).

Higher gauge wiring as 3 coax cables and a shield (usually
foil with high if not 100% coverage) plus ferrites on them
are helpful. There are huge variations in pricing for
decent cables, some being ridiculously overpriced (like
Monster Cables)

I've had good luck with Belkin Pro Series, but they may have
changed them in the past few years... for better or worse I
don't know. In general you might research any particular
brand you find and see if that manufacturer's part is the
highest (quality) model in their product line. That is,
choose the best version of whichever brand you seek- monitor
cables aren't rocket science, you simply need one that isn't
too long or overly budgetized in construction.
Old May 27th 05, 07:21 PM
Neal

what about these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Old May 27th 05, 09:43 PM
kony

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:21:13 GMT, Neal
wrote:

what about these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Don't know... Their construction looks right "on paper" but
the actual implementation- you'd have to try them, as I
haven't.