Fun Things to do with a Dead DELL Laptop?

Old December 24th 03, 12:13 AM
Giganews

Default Fun Things to do with a Dead DELL Laptop?

After three years of mostly good use, the motherboard and display of my DELL
laptop is dead, dead, dead. As in "door nail." Actually the display didn't
even last three years.

Rather than pay DELL about $1,000 to fix it, I'd like to get one last bit of
use out of it, even though it won't involve images on the nice, big, and
expensive 15+ in SVGA display I invested in.

Is there any value in any of the components?

Beyond that I am wondering if there are any Letterman-like things that can
be done with it. How about filming it splatter on concrete after being cast
from about 16 stories up. Or how does a laptop screen react to a
hollow-point .22?

DELL trolls who no doubt will recommend different uses for the .22 please be
advised that I'll have less time for these posts after I purchase a
replacement for my DEAD DELL from an NON-DELL source.

Old December 24th 03, 12:24 AM
Eugene

Giganews wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up a spare lcd from ebay or something. Is the
lcd cracked or just the backlight out.

Old December 24th 03, 01:21 AM
Giganews

Eugene,

The display was replaced while under warranty, but the motherboard died at
the three year mark. That is the expensive replacement.

Old December 24th 03, 01:56 AM
Epona

Giganews wrote:
Eugene,

The display was replaced while under warranty, but the motherboard
died at the three year mark. That is the expensive replacement.

You know I swear Dell time-bomb their laptops - midnight +1s the day the
warranty expires and - BANG! Chip on the mobo I reckon...

Old December 24th 03, 05:49 AM
Giganews

"Epona" wrote in message
Giganews wrote:
Eugene,

The display was replaced while under warranty, but the motherboard
died at the three year mark. That is the expensive replacement.

You know I swear Dell time-bomb their laptops - midnight +1s the day the
warranty expires and - BANG! Chip on the mobo I reckon...

Just about right. warranty -3 mos for the display, and warranty +2 mos for
the mobo. I had actually purchased two of their laptops but donated the
other one to a business. If that other DELL was as well made as the one I
kept, that wasn't much of a donation.

Old December 24th 03, 07:36 AM
budgie

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:24:07 GMT, Eugene
wrote:

Giganews wrote:

[...]

That won't fix the dead mobo ....
Old December 24th 03, 11:01 AM
Christopher Muto

no cross posting please. this reply to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell only.

there is no single repair that cost anywhere near $1,000 on any laptop if
you are open minded and willing to do a little work. since dell provides
detailed technical service manuals (something which other manufacturers do
not, ibm and compaq used to provide them but haven't on any late model
machines...) that anyone can download, any part can be replaced. parts can
be purchased from dell or other sources. but instead of posting your exact
model number and description of the problem that you are experiencing you
choose to write this bizarre post. seems like you just want to complain
instead of solve your problem. seems like the computer issue may not your
only one...

Old December 24th 03, 11:46 AM
Eugene

wrote:

Giganews wrote:

[...]

When he said the display didn't last I thought he meant the display had
died.
Old December 24th 03, 11:55 AM
Tom Scales

It did:

"Motherboard and Display".

Not sure how he knows. We'd all be happy to help try to 'revive' it, but he
has not posted any details. I would be frustrated in this case too.

Or, he's not for real

We'll see if he posts the model, symptoms, OS, etc.

Tom

Old December 24th 03, 01:02 PM
Ian Stirling

In comp.sys.laptops Giganews wrote:
After three years of mostly good use, the motherboard and display of my DELL
laptop is dead, dead, dead. As in "door nail." Actually the display didn't
even last three years.

Specify what the exact condition is.
Ebay.
Buy stuff with resultant funds.