Bluetooth and Wireless

Old April 14th 05, 11:02 PM
Jack Gillis

Default Bluetooth and Wireless

I have 3 machines on a wireless network and would like to add a
Bluetooth adapter to one of them so that machine can print to my HP
Photosmart which will also have a Bluetooth adapter. Googling indicates
that some interference can occur when a Bluetooth hookup and a wireless
hook up are close to each other. At least that is what I understand.

What experience have any of you had in this situation?

Thank you.

Old April 15th 05, 09:06 AM
WebWalker

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:02:34 -0400, "Jack Gillis"
wrote:

I have 3 machines on a wireless network and would like to add a
Bluetooth adapter to one of them so that machine can print to my HP
Photosmart which will also have a Bluetooth adapter. Googling indicates
that some interference can occur when a Bluetooth hookup and a wireless
hook up are close to each other. At least that is what I understand.

What experience have any of you had in this situation?

Any wireless solutions usually have some degree of weakness on signal
strength and interference.

Can't comment on your case unless you try it out yourself (Bluetooth
adaptor is quite cheap nowadays).

I am a bit conventional and I prefer cable. I prefer the cable speed
and security.

--
WebWalker
Old April 15th 05, 10:26 AM
Jack Gillis

wrote:

I have 3 machines on a wireless network and would like to add a
Bluetooth adapter to one of them so that machine can print to my HP
Photosmart which will also have a Bluetooth adapter. Googling
indicates
that some interference can occur when a Bluetooth hookup and a
wireless
hook up are close to each other. At least that is what I understand.

What experience have any of you had in this situation?

Any wireless solutions usually have some degree of weakness on signal
strength and interference.

Can't comment on your case unless you try it out yourself (Bluetooth
adaptor is quite cheap nowadays).

I am a bit conventional and I prefer cable. I prefer the cable speed
and security.

--
WebWalker

Thank you. I agree about cable but I'm just not going up under the
house to run anymore cables!

Old April 15th 05, 10:55 AM
JANA

I have worked Bluetooth on computers that are also on a wireless, and was
okay. The best test is to try it at your location. There is a very strong
chance that it will work out okay. Take note that Bluetooth in many cases
does not work well after about 25 feet.

--

JANA
_____

Old April 16th 05, 04:16 AM
Peter Wilkins

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:02:34 -0400, "Jack Gillis"
wrote :

I have 3 machines on a wireless network and would like to add a=20
Bluetooth adapter to one of them so that machine can print to my HP=20
Photosmart which will also have a Bluetooth adapter. Googling indicates=

=20
that some interference can occur when a Bluetooth hookup and a wireless=20
hook up are close to each other. At least that is what I understand.

What experience have any of you had in this situation?

I use a bluetooth mouse on my Toshiba P20 laptop (which has the
bluetooth built-in) and also use the laptop on a 3 computer wireless
network, 802.11b, and have had absolutely no problems for over a year.
The wireless card is a miniPCI that sits inside the laptop and uses
the antennas built-in to the screen. Toshiba said interference might
be experienced between the wifi and Bluetooth and if so to simply
change the wifi channel to another. I've been using Ch 1 with no
problems and didn't have to change.

I'm not too sure how the 11g or some of the latest broader band wifi
networks that promise 54MB/s instead of the standard 11MB/s would cope
with the Bluetooth - I think they overflow multiple adjacent channels.
--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins