Aria - advice re postage refund (dodgy practice)

Old July 5th 04, 10:39 PM
Mark

Default Aria - advice re postage refund (dodgy practice)

Hi all,

I am currently having a problem with Aria. I bought an mp3 player from them.
It was physically damaged when received. They have accepted the return, and
refunded the cost of the player. However, they are insisting that it is not
their policy to refund the postage which I originally paid to have the item
delivered (they have refunded my postage costs for returning it to them).

The guy on customer services tells me that this is in their terms and
conditions. I can't find it. I have asked them twice by email to show me the
relevant section, and they have not replied. I have requested that my emails
be forwarded to their customer services manager, and had no response.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting not to be £8 out of pocket for buying
damaged goods?

Does anyone from Aria want to comment before I let trading standards deal
with this?

I have already taken advice from trading standards. The assertion made by
Aria that I am the one who has a contract with CityLink is false. The
contract that I have with CityLink is a linked transaction to that which I
have with Aria. It is a non-severable contract under the Sale of Goods Act
1979 (as amended). Basically, if Aria don't send me the goods, they cannot
do business, so it's not my problem!

Therefore, to refuse to reimburse me is a "breach of implied term" under the
SOGA and the distance selling regulations 2000, section 14, subsection 6.

Up until now Aria has always been my first port of call. However, you only
find out how good a company is when you have a problem. All I want is for
Aria to refund my postage. At this point, it's more about the principle than
the money. They have already refunded the cost of the mp3 player, hence
admitting liability (although I have nothing in writing - their web system
is still showing the RMA as not having been received, although it was
actually received on 16th June!) and also refunded my postage in returning
it. It seems to be a really bad business model to lose a customer when the
company has supplied faulty goods and not taken FULL liability.

It's unfortunate that I have to take this to a public forum, but I feel that
other potential customers should be warned. Based on my conversation with
trading standards, this practice falls outside of various consumer
regulations (laws?) and I intend to pursue this matter to a satisfactory
conclusion.

Mark

Old July 5th 04, 11:26 PM
Malik

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all,

youre entitled to a full refund inc postage

just let your credit card company sort it out and save your time

Old July 5th 04, 11:42 PM
John Naismith

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:39:33 +0000 (UTC), "Mark"
wrote:

It's unfortunate that I have to take this to a public forum, but I feel that
other potential customers should be warned. Based on my conversation with
trading standards, this practice falls outside of various consumer
regulations (laws?) and I intend to pursue this matter to a satisfactory
conclusion.

If you have the time and inclination then take them to small claims
court.

Aria are definitely a company to be avoided these days - sad really
because they used to be good; now they don't give a toss about their
customers and (IME) completely ignore emails and phone calls. I'll see
whether they ignore registered letters warning of county court action
in a week or so.
--
John Naismith
Old July 6th 04, 12:31 AM
lordy

"Malik" wrote in news:1089066412.26573.0
@eunomia.uk.clara.net:

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all,

youre entitled to a full refund inc postage

just let your credit card company sort it out and save your time

If it was more than 100 quid ?

--
Lordy
Old July 6th 04, 08:54 AM
Malik

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all,

youre entitled to a full refund inc postage

just let your credit card company sort it out and save your time

If it was more than 100 quid ?

--
Lordy

My egg card let me claim £20 back last year. Not aware a minimum has been
put on it?

Old July 6th 04, 11:05 AM
Rob D

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Mark,
I know nothing of the history of your RMA, but having just
spoken to our customer services manager your outbound carriage will be
refunded today. He is looking into why you were told otherwise and will
ensure that this does not happen again. It is not our policy to refuse to
refund carriage in this situation, and neither is this stated in our terms
and conditions. Apologies on behalf of Aria for the inconvenience caused.

Cheers,

RobD
Aria Technology
www.aria.co.uk

Old July 6th 04, 04:36 PM
Dave

"Rob D" wrote in message
snip...........

Hi Mark,
I know nothing of the history of your RMA, but having just
spoken to our customer services manager your outbound carriage will be
refunded today. He is looking into why you were told otherwise and will
ensure that this does not happen again. It is not our policy to refuse to
refund carriage in this situation, and neither is this stated in our terms
and conditions. Apologies on behalf of Aria for the inconvenience caused.

Cheers,

RobD
Aria Technology
www.aria.co.uk

Rob you do realise that you are probably the most helpful member of staff at
aria, if you ever go and work for another online computer company elsewhere,
you must let people in this group know If i was you i would be asking
for a large pay rise
Good job again )))

Old July 6th 04, 04:38 PM
Andy

"Dave" wrote in message

"Rob D" wrote in message
[...]

hes a director isnt he?

Old July 6th 04, 05:13 PM
Dave

"Andy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"Rob D" wrote in message
[...]

No idea, but if he is, there are a few peoples arses he should be either
kicking or firing, to me he was quick and courteous in a reply to a query i
had, i just wish there were more like him for nearly every online retailer

Old July 6th 04, 08:43 PM
Andy

"Dave" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"Rob D" wrote in message
[...]

he's damage limitation. he prevents bad press on the internet by
knocking people's complaints on the head as soon as they're posted.
very clever really