9600PRO low results in 3dmark2001

Old December 19th 03, 12:54 PM
Sham B

Im getting better than that with an XP 2000 (FSB 266) and a 9500 pro, 512Mb
Ram, 128Mb video Ram.
Havent looked for a while at benchmarking but having said that, mine was
around 11,500 - 12,000, with the 9500 core/mem clocks at 320, 310, and the
pipeline unlock mod applied. Im not sure whether a 9500 pro is actually
quicker than a 9600 pro (I think they are similar), but I remember getting
just under the speeds you are seeing until I seriously o'ced the graphics
card.

HTH

As an aside:
I only do benchmarking when I am thinking about upgrading, to put some of
the results of newer cards in some kind of perspective with what I have got.
If games are running fine then you usually have nothing to worry about,
unless you like solving non-problems of your own making, and like ATI
Marketing to do your thinking for you... big wink

At the moment, I'm seeing results from newer cards that just do not justify
upgrading, inless you have a big fat 21 inch screen that needs silly
resolutions. I can play less intensive games (such as homeworld 2) well at
1600x1200 and more intensive ones (unreal 2/IL2) at 1024x768, and usually
1280x1024, which is fine for my 19 inch iiyama.

I suppose what I am saying is try the o'c, but remember its a freebie -
don't be too worried with your system if you cant get the numbers you are
after, its not that important! I'm using powerstrip for my o'cing, and had
to flash the card ROM to unlock increased clocks and unhide the additional
pipelines (we're talking 9500 here, I dont think the 9600 has the additional
pipelines, but has greater ability to handle higher clock rates because of
the reduced die size and resulting smaller power consumption)

"Phil" wrote in message
.. .
That score sounds right, for your system.

"Coaster" wrote in message
System is as follows:
MSI K7N2-Delta L board
XP 2500 Barton Core CPU
ati 9600 pro
40 gig Maxtor 7200
512 DDR PC266

getting a score of 10,000 with 3d 2001SE
and 3200 with 3d 2003

is the ram holding the speed back? FSB is 333 and ram is 266.
Will it make a difference is score to change ram?
Thanks for your info
Rod

Old December 20th 03, 05:06 AM
Strontium

Question is: Is increasing your 3mark score worth upgrading?

How does the system 'bench' in your actual use of the machine?

You've just answered your own question, once you've honestly answered that
one.

-
Coaster stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 20th 03, 06:44 AM
Inglo

On 12/19/2003 8:47 PM Coaster befouled our nation with:

System is as follows:
MSI K7N2-Delta L board
XP 2500 Barton Core CPU
ati 9600 pro
40 gig Maxtor 7200
512 DDR PC266

getting a score of 10,000 with 3d 2001SE
and 3200 with 3d 2003

is the ram holding the speed back? FSB is 333 and ram is 266.
Will it make a difference is score to change ram?
Thanks for your info
Rod

Is everything running at stock speed? Then those scores are about
right. Are you running the FSB and DRAM asynchronous? You should try
running it 1:1.
My system's a little overclocked, I have an XP 2500+ @ 2200 MHz / MSI
K7N2-L non Delta / ATI 9600 Pro @ 450/650 MHz /512 Mb PC2700 (I guess
you mean you have PC2100, DDR266 Memory)
I get ~3600 3dMark03, and 12,100 in 3dMark01.

--
pining for the fjords,

Steve [Inglo]

Old December 20th 03, 11:43 AM
Darthy

I got just under 10,000 with my Ti4200... he should be a little bit
better than that... 11~12K.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:18:08 -0500, "Phil"
wrote:

That score sounds right, for your system.

"Coaster" wrote in message
.. .
System is as follows:
MSI K7N2-Delta L board
XP 2500 Barton Core CPU
ati 9600 pro
40 gig Maxtor 7200
512 DDR PC266

getting a score of 10,000 with 3d 2001SE
and 3200 with 3d 2003

is the ram holding the speed back? FSB is 333 and ram is 266.
Will it make a difference is score to change ram?
Thanks for your info
Rod

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 20th 03, 03:51 PM
Coaster

Iam just curious if that will make a difference.

Old December 20th 03, 04:10 PM
Don Burnette

Coaster wrote:
System is as follows:
MSI K7N2-Delta L board
XP 2500 Barton Core CPU
ati 9600 pro
40 gig Maxtor 7200
512 DDR PC266

getting a score of 10,000 with 3d 2001SE
and 3200 with 3d 2003

is the ram holding the speed back? FSB is 333 and ram is 266.
Will it make a difference is score to change ram?
Thanks for your info
Rod

I can't relate to 3D Mark 2001 as it is no longer on my system, but I can
compare to 2003.

My system :
Asus A7N8X Deluxe version 2.0
XP 2600 Barton Core ( overclocked to 2.167 ghz)
ATI 9700 Pro
1 gb pc3200 ddr ram ( Corsair LL matched pair)

My 3D Mark 2003 score - app 5350

If your system is stable, I would doubt it would be the memory holding you
back.
Check your 3d settings - make sure it is set to perfomance, no aa or as (
application preference), Vsynch set to off.

Also, I have always heard it is better to run the ram at the same speed as
the fsb. Is your barton locked? Most newer ones are , however if you have
had it a little while it most likely is not. If not, perhaps you can lower
the fsb to match the ram speed, and raise the multiplier for your cpu if
your motherboard allows this? Might be worth trying to compair the
performance difference, IF you are comfortable changing those settings.
Or, if your really lucky, perhaps your ram will tolerate running at synch
with the current fsb ( 333). Some good quality ram will, it's a hit or miss.

--
Don Burnette

Old December 20th 03, 11:39 PM
aNdy

One question....how do you set v-sync to anything.....I cannot find the
setting option anywhere.
Andy

Old December 21st 03, 12:14 AM
Don Burnette

aNdy wrote:
One question....how do you set v-sync to anything.....I cannot find
the setting option anywhere.
Andy

It's under the D3D tab.
Click on custom, and it will take you to these settings. You will see a
slider bar to the right of vertical synch, slide it all the way to the left
to turn it off.

--
Don Burnette

my OC results pberry Asus Motherboards 1 April 2nd 04 12:08 AM
Got a Sapphire 9200SE or 9600Pro? Martin R Ati Videocards 2 November 4th 03 02:22 PM
Just converted from the Nvidia camp but have a few minor bugs with my Radeon 9600PRO Simon Bussey Ati Videocards 1 October 20th 03 04:17 PM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM
System tests utility in ECDC...what's the usefulness of it if the results are never the same? KILOWATT Cdr 15 October 4th 03 09:15 PM