Is there a PCI combo card that has both LAN and USB

Old November 4th 03, 11:34 PM
John B.

Default Is there a PCI combo card that has both LAN and USB

I have a micro mobo that only has three PCI slots, and I would like to
combine features as much as possible while upgrading.

I'd like to know if there is a manufacturer that makes a PCI card that has
both the LAN and USB 2 ports together on the same card? On the surface it
would seem like someone would have already made a combo card like this
already (similar to a combo serial and parallel card).

Thanks
--
Change [comcast.non] to [comcast.net]

Old November 5th 03, 12:03 AM
Phrederik

Don't think that there is... I can't see much use for that kind of card.

You could use a USB NIC if needed.

Old November 5th 03, 04:12 AM
Vanguard

John B. wrote:
I have a micro mobo that only has three PCI slots, and I would like to
combine features as much as possible while upgrading.

I'd like to know if there is a manufacturer that makes a PCI card
that has both the LAN and USB 2 ports together on the same card? On
the surface it would seem like someone would have already made a
combo card like this already (similar to a combo serial and parallel
card).

Thanks

Is the motherboard too old to have any USB ports? If it has USB ports
and you are running out of ports, you could always add an external USB
hub. I'd recommend getting a powered USB hub in case you attach any
high-powered USB devices, like headphones.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old November 5th 03, 12:41 PM
John B.

"Vanguard" wrote in message
Is the motherboard too old to have any USB ports? If it has USB ports
and you are running out of ports, you could always add an external USB
hub.

The motherboard has two USB ports, but they are both USB 1. What I
originally needed to do was replace my ethernet card, but I also wanted to
go ahead and upgrade the USB 1 to USB 2.

The ethernet card would need to be PCI, and the USB 2 would need to be PCI.
However, this would eat two separate PCI slots on the motherboard. I was
hoping there was a combo card that had both an ethernet card and a USB 2
circuit built all into one. This way I could save one PCI slot. I know there
probably has to be something out there like what I'm describing, but it
could be a hard to find item.

More than likely, what I'll end up doing, is installing a USB 2 card and
getting a "USB to ethernet" type of cable adapter. I've seen this type of
item, but I was hoping to hear from someone that possibly seen this unique
type of combo card.