Overclocking - MSI KT2 combo

Old December 26th 03, 03:23 PM
Dave

Default Overclocking - MSI KT2 combo

Anybody achieved any reliable overclocking on an MSI KT2 Combo board
(MS-6764)?

Just saw an ad for this board at a cheap "Bulk Buy" price and downloaded the
manual and it seems to adjustable for CPU FSB/Multiplier/VCore and other
voltages.

Would love to get an nForce board but Xmas spending prevents and my old
Jetway 830CH has all 3 PCI slots full and I want to add more cards.

The old 830CH overclocks the FSB to 147MHz @100% reliability with FSB upto
152MHz without adjusting voltages (not an option) with more flakeyness -
anything that hits the FPU hard will crash the system quicker the higher the
FSB.

I am hoping that the MSI KT266A/VT8235 chipset will equal or exceed the SiS
730 chipset performance of the Jetway 830CH.

This board would be a stop-gap measure until enough cash is accumulated for
a decent nForce board and fast DDR memory. I know somebody whose update
schedule matches mine and this board can be passed on to them when I am
ready to upgrade.

What I plan to do is get this board and transfer contents of 830CH to it and
use. Save lots of cash and then buy fast DDR RAM and install and remove
SDRAM. Save more cash, buy new MB and transfer contents across to new board
(and reformat HD). Sell MSI KT2 combo and SDRAM. While using MSI board,
overclock to best reliable performance and enjoy (or not get too
frustrated).

Any comments?

Dave

Old December 26th 03, 07:20 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:23:51 +0000, Dave wrote:

Would love to get an nForce board but Xmas spending prevents and my old
Jetway 830CH has all 3 PCI slots full and I want to add more cards.

The old 830CH overclocks the FSB to 147MHz @100% reliability with FSB upto
152MHz without adjusting voltages (not an option) with more flakeyness -
anything that hits the FPU hard will crash the system quicker the higher the
FSB.

I am hoping that the MSI KT266A/VT8235 chipset will equal or exceed the SiS
730 chipset performance of the Jetway 830CH.

AS for the FSB, it will be about the same. Some performances will be
faster with the KT266A, while others like disk IO will be slower. All in
all I'd say it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

This board would be a stop-gap measure until enough cash is accumulated
for a decent nForce board and fast DDR memory. I know somebody whose
update schedule matches mine and this board can be passed on to them
when I am ready to upgrade.

What I plan to do is get this board and transfer contents of 830CH to it
and use. Save lots of cash and then buy fast DDR RAM and install and
remove SDRAM. Save more cash, buy new MB and transfer contents across
to new board (and reformat HD). Sell MSI KT2 combo and SDRAM. While
using MSI board, overclock to best reliable performance and enjoy (or
not get too frustrated).

Any comments?

Prices are almost always going down. I'd wait till I could do the whole
MB/ram together since you're not going to get much improvement doing it in
stages, and it will cost more in the long run.

First overclocking attempts - General 7 December 14th 03 05:30 PM
Opinion needed on new AMD system and overclocking ability Bill Overclocking AMD Processors 11 November 21st 03 06:15 PM
This combo a good start for overclocking?? Rabramson1 Overclocking AMD Processors 1 October 17th 03 10:41 PM
OverClocking Guides Phil Weldon Overclocking 0 August 15th 03 05:41 AM
Overclocking CPU & FSB (TBred B 2600+) Wes Newell Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 18th 03 12:04 AM