Is this legal under Distance Selling Regs (or any other UK regualations)?

Old May 6th 04, 04:03 AM
Traveller

"Essex Computers" wrote in message

They already have made 1 extra attempt, they have carded twice, which is
enough IMO

I apologise, I missed that first time around. In that case, I take it all
back (well, most of it anyway).

Old May 6th 04, 07:01 AM
Hywel

In article , Traveller says...
"Black Shuck" wrote in message
I purchased some items from a UK computer vendor, who foolishly decided
to put his companies reputation in the hands of Initial/CityLink.

Basically, the problem is, they have tried to deliver my items 2 days on
the trot now, but nobody was home to sign for them, City Link will now
not attempt redelivery, they will also not redirect to my work address,
and a "short" trip to pick it up from their depot, is actually a 70 mile
round trip. They have also given me 3 days to pick it up from the
depot, before it gets sent back to the vendor. The vendor says that
City Link will then charge him £19 for that return. The vendor has said
they will then refund any left over money from the original purchase
price minus the £19 return delivery charge... (how nice!!!).

ISTM that the supplier has not performed under the meaning of the DSR - i.e.
the goods have not been delivered.

They tried, twice, to the address the buyer gave. What else can they
do?

I am astounded that Citylink will
neither attempt redelivery, nor redirect,

They did attempt redlivery and it's up to the vendor to redirect the
package.

and the distance from you to the
depot is hardly a short trip, as you state.

70 miles worth of fuel is still less than the £19 return fee.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/
Old May 6th 04, 08:13 AM
Fishter

Hi Pool Champ
In you wrote:
I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this was your first order with this
company. As far as I know, this is to verify that the purchaser, addressee
and card holder is one and the same person and its not a fiddle. This is
common practice.
After your first order has been successfully delivered, you can normally
nominate a different delivery address.

Some CC's allow you to register a second address on the card. I did this
when purchasing a laptop and got it delivered to my work.

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Old May 6th 04, 08:36 AM
rich a

"Essex Computers" decided it would be mildly
amusing to write:

They already have made 1 extra attempt, they have carded twice, which
is enough IMO

I disagree. Although the original poster doesn't specify if the
redelivery was requested or not, it looks highly unlikely that s/he did
not request a redelivery the next day.

Sounds like a moronic courier that suddenly expects the recipient to be in
the next day when they were most probably out because of weekday work.

Having said all that, dealings with the local Citylink have always been
okay, and I suppose the depot is only two miles away from where I work
anyhow...

--
Lots of love, Rich
crapola - http://www.brushtastic.f2s.com
Old May 6th 04, 08:42 AM
Niel Humphreys

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
I purchased some items from a UK computer vendor, who foolishly decided
to put his companies reputation in the hands of Initial/CityLink.

Basically, the problem is, they have tried to deliver my items 2 days on
the trot now, but nobody was home to sign for them, City Link will now
not attempt redelivery, they will also not redirect to my work address,
and a "short" trip to pick it up from their depot, is actually a 70 mile
round trip.

So you would rather they use a courier which leaves items on doorsteps to be
stolen or with neighbours you may not know and may not admit to having
received them?

They have also given me 3 days to pick it up from the
depot, before it gets sent back to the vendor.

Reasonable - how big do you think their depot is if they keps every parcel
for an unlimited amount of time?

The vendor says that
City Link will then charge him £19 for that return. The vendor has said
they will then refund any left over money from the original purchase
price minus the £19 return delivery charge... (how nice!!!).

Again, reasonabele. Why should the vendor stand these charges.

It's a real royal pain in the butt. The only reason I had the item send
to my home address (knowing nobody would be there to sign for it), was
the stupid system the stipulates you must deliver to the cardholders
address, otherwise I would have got them items sent to work, where there
would be no problem signing for the delivery....

Again, reasonable request stipulating delivery to cardholder's address. If
you knew this then why did you not order from a company who did not make
this stipulation (if you can find one these days) or pay by another method.

Is this legal? CityLink basically couldn't care less, and the Vendor is
also being most unhelpful.

You are the one who is being unreasonable.

I may name and shame, once I know the facts. I'm pretty sure, that
even if it's legal, it's certainly not a good way to do business.. As I
won't be spending any money with either this Vendor, or any others that
use this particular courier.

Comments?

Name by all means but you certainly won't shame them for their fairly
standard business practices. Maybe you should get out into the real world
more.
--

Niel Humphreys

Old May 6th 04, 08:58 AM
Guy Fawkes

Black Shuck wrote:

Comments?

Yes, you're a ****ing idiot and that sound you hear is everyone else on here
adding you to their do-not-touch-with-a-bargepole lists.

--
Liquid Cooled PC? -- http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/

E-mail (rot-13) qnirahyy NG oyhrlbaqre QBG pb QBG hx
EoF

Old May 6th 04, 09:01 AM
Meggahurtz

"Black Shuck" wrote in message

Comments?

You being unreasonable, bet your the kind of person who wants it all his/her
way :{

Old May 6th 04, 09:33 AM
AK

"Essex Computers" wrote in message
They already have made 1 extra attempt, they have carded twice, which is

enough IMO

Couriers ALWAYS attempt delivery the next day. What the OP should have done
is called them immediately after the first attempt and arranged a convenient
day for the next attempt. Looks like he did nothing and now he is screwed.

Old May 6th 04, 10:09 AM
Smicker

[...]

You're not related to Tone are you?

He is also stupid enough to order goods delivered to a place where he
knew he wouldn't be and then bitch loudly and publicly about not being
able to receive them.

You are a ****wit. Get over it and start saving up for another brain
cell, the one you have is lonely.

smicker
Old May 6th 04, 10:32 AM
Ben Bayliss

Black Shuck wrote:
I purchased some items from a UK computer vendor, who foolishly decided
to put his companies reputation in the hands of Initial/CityLink.

I seem to be one of the only ppl to post to sympathise with you. But
looks like that's going to be a dangerous opinion to entertain.

Try asking CityLink about a third delivery attempt. I had this problem
the other day, but they got the vendor to agree to a 'third delivery
attempt' charge. Apparently in comparison to the main delivery charge,
and return charges, it's insignificant. Maybe ask citylink to try this?

Ben