Warranty

Old November 1st 03, 10:35 AM
A.

Default Warranty

I may be buying an item (worth several hundred pounds) from a guy who runs a
shop.
He used his shop to advertise the item, and on Ebay the item was listed
under his shop's listing - not as the item of a private individual.

The item is brand new, but he says there is no warranty on it.

Can this be right if he is selling brand new goods from the shop?

If I make sure that I make any payment out to the shop (not the individual)
then is there a 12 month statutory warranty?

I will walk away if the answer is no. But then again, it may be an idea to
walk away anyway if it will be a ballache to get him to honour any warranty
claims without court threats, etc...

Old November 1st 03, 11:13 AM
ß Ø ® G

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:35:00 -0000, "A." wrote:

I may be buying an item (worth several hundred pounds) from a guy who runs a
shop.
He used his shop to advertise the item, and on Ebay the item was listed
under his shop's listing - not as the item of a private individual.

The item is brand new, but he says there is no warranty on it.

Can this be right if he is selling brand new goods from the shop?

If I make sure that I make any payment out to the shop (not the individual)
then is there a 12 month statutory warranty?

I will walk away if the answer is no. But then again, it may be an idea to
walk away anyway if it will be a ballache to get him to honour any warranty
claims without court threats, etc...

Walk away mate, I can say I'm a shop and have no come back when I sell
stuff.

Ask if he's registered in Company House

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Old November 1st 03, 11:17 AM
Tony Sutton

"A." wrote in message
.. .
I may be buying an item (worth several hundred pounds) from a guy who runs

shop.
He used his shop to advertise the item, and on Ebay the item was listed
under his shop's listing - not as the item of a private individual.

The item is brand new, but he says there is no warranty on it.

If he's running a shop and is selling brand new PC, then it *must* have a
warranty. What if the PC went tits up in less than a year?

Walk away.

No, Run.

Run, forrest, run!

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old November 1st 03, 12:23 PM
Paul Hopwood

"A." wrote:

I may be buying an item (worth several hundred pounds) from a guy who runs a
shop.
He used his shop to advertise the item, and on Ebay the item was listed
under his shop's listing - not as the item of a private individual.

Anyone can create "shops" under eBay so it could, quite legitimately,
be an individual.

The item is brand new, but he says there is no warranty on it.
Can this be right if he is selling brand new goods from the shop?
If I make sure that I make any payment out to the shop (not the individual)
then is there a 12 month statutory warranty?

Only a court can decide but I doubt they'd consider the seller a
business simply on the grounds they were using an eBay shop, so it is
likely you have the same legal rights as you would buying from in a
private sale.

I will walk away if the answer is no. But then again, it may be an idea to
walk away anyway if it will be a ballache to get him to honour any warranty
claims without court threats, etc...

If you're uncomfortable buying on this basis then don't bid and walk
away. If you've already bid it's a bit late to be asking this
question as you're obliged to complete the transaction.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old November 1st 03, 02:20 PM
A.

"ß Ø ® G" wrote in message

Walk away mate, I can say I'm a shop and have no come back when I sell
stuff.

Cheers for everyone's input.

I feel I should expand on the situation a bit more.

The item in question is a HP laptop, which is about £250 under RRP.
I'm wondering - although the contract exists between the seller and buyer -
maybe the manufacturer will deal with warranty claims directly, rather like
the way IBM and others will do HDD claims directly. I'll have a look on the
website to see.

Another thing to consider is that the warranty may well be useless to me as
i'm hoping to emigrate next year, and this will be coming with me.
Not much point in having the warranty if HP won't honour it outside of
Europe.

The company is a small one, has a shop and from what I can gather trades
primarily on eBay and also computer fairs.
Their main trade is not laptop related, and this seems to be a tiny sideline
of their main business.
I did bid on the one laptop, but lost. I have asked the guy if he had any
more, and he has one other, so I haven't bid as it's not on auction, and
there is no contract yet.

I'll do some research and ask some more questions.

One other thing - just to be safe - is there a facility anywhere (couldn't
find one on the website) where I can input the serial number and check:
a) to see if it's stolen
b) age of laptop
c) if it's still within any warranty period.

Thanks again.

Old November 1st 03, 05:55 PM
Paul Hopwood

"A." wrote:

The item in question is a HP laptop, which is about £250 under RRP.
I'm wondering - although the contract exists between the seller and buyer -
maybe the manufacturer will deal with warranty claims directly, rather like
the way IBM and others will do HDD claims directly. I'll have a look on the
website to see.

HP tend to be okay to deal with direct, but I've not had much
experience with their laptops. You'll probably be okay, assuming it's
not stolen of course.

Another thing to consider is that the warranty may well be useless to me as
i'm hoping to emigrate next year, and this will be coming with me.
Not much point in having the warranty if HP won't honour it outside of
Europe.

Nor would the person selling you the laptop I suspect.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old November 1st 03, 11:34 PM
George

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
"A." wrote:

I may be buying an item (worth several hundred pounds) from a guy who

runs a
shop.
He used his shop to advertise the item, and on Ebay the item was listed
under his shop's listing - not as the item of a private individual.

Anyone can create "shops" under eBay so it could, quite legitimately,
be an individual.

I don't think the OP means that. I get the impression the seller runs a
real shop but also uses ebay to help sell his stuff. If that is the case he
has to offer a warranty.
--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing

Old November 2nd 03, 10:14 AM
A.

"George" wrote in message

I don't think the OP means that. I get the impression the seller runs a
real shop but also uses ebay to help sell his stuff. If that is the case

he
has to offer a warranty.

The seller does indeed run a real shop.
He seems to be legit though, he has cheerfully given me the serial number so
I can call HP tomorrow and check if there is any warranty (or if it's
stolen).

I think he's just trying to rid himself of any comeback since he doesn't
usually deal with laptops, rather than anything iffy.

We'll see what HP say tomorrow...

Old November 2nd 03, 10:56 PM
Paul Hopwood

"George" wrote:

Anyone can create "shops" under eBay so it could, quite legitimately,
be an individual.

I don't think the OP means that. I get the impression the seller runs a
real shop but also uses ebay to help sell his stuff. If that is the case he
has to offer a warranty.

That wasn't clear in the original post but, yes, subsequent suggest
it's a trader using eBay.

He doesn't have to offer a warranty per se but the transaction *will*
be covered by Sale of Goods Act, DSR etc.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old November 2nd 03, 11:00 PM
Paul Hopwood

"A." wrote:

The seller does indeed run a real shop.
He seems to be legit though, he has cheerfully given me the serial number so
I can call HP tomorrow and check if there is any warranty (or if it's
stolen).

I think he's just trying to rid himself of any comeback since he doesn't
usually deal with laptops, rather than anything iffy.

We'll see what HP say tomorrow...

Quite likely he just doesn't want the hassle. Unlike desktop PCs most
faults on a laptop are hugely expensive and are going to be outside
the capabilities of your average shop. If he need to deal with a
return it would almost certainly absorb any margin he's made on it
several times over.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]