KVM extender and switch problem

Old December 3rd 04, 09:06 AM
James Hanley

Default KVM extender and switch problem

I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
*but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't access
the switch's hotkeys*

I've also got a blackbox kvm switch that dtoesn't work at all. So
forget that.

Even with the 2 working things. When using the zonet switch with the
blackbox extender, the keyboard hotkeys don't work on the switch. i
have to run downstairs and hit the button on the switch to change
computers.

I'm buying stuff off ebay.co.uk I could get a belkin kvm switch, but
then there's no belkin kvm extender there. I dont want to spend more
than $70 on a switch or on an extender - hence ebay.

So, the way I see it, I have 3 options - listed in descending order of
preference 1=best - relatively speaking.
1)Buy many KVM Extenders and ethernet cables (one for each extender -
an extender for each computer). Have a kvm switch at my end.
2)Open up the zonet kvm switch pull the push-button off and attach a
long wire into my room with a switch at the end that I can use.
3)Build a Rude Goldberg contraption that will let me squeeze the
switch from upstairs.

All the options are aweful. Even option 1 is expensive and leads to
loads of cables running up the stairs.
I've no background in electronics so am not inclined towards option 2
and it may lead to me breaking the switch - the pun holds too. Forget
option 3, it'd be too messy.

I want to stick to a serious idea, like option 1, or an alternative.
And probably want to avoid doing electronics project myself.

Any ideas?!!!
Old December 6th 04, 09:06 AM
Mark Shaw

"James Hanley" wrote in message
[...]

KVM: either spend money on decent equipment and stick with the one supplier,
or enjoy the exercise of going up and downstairs all the time, or move all
your computers upstairs or migrate to software kvm, eg TightVNC.

Old December 16th 04, 01:50 PM

Mark Shaw wrote:
"James Hanley" wrote in message
m...
I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
*but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't

access
the switch's hotkeys*

snip Any ideas?!!!

KVM: either spend money on decent equipment and stick with the one

supplier,
or enjoy the exercise of going up and downstairs all the time, or

move all
your computers upstairs or migrate to software kvm, eg TightVNC.

The equipment's very good and reliable.
It turned out that the scroll lock key required to switch computers on
the kvm switch is also used to reset the kvm extender. On the bottom of
the kvm extender are 2 DIP switches. Setting DIP switch #2 to ON
disabled that feature, allowing the scroll lock to act like all the
other keys. There was no compatibility problem.