Any forums out there about SAN's ?.

Old December 14th 04, 10:39 AM
Fatboy40

Default Any forums out there about SAN's ?.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a forum/bbs where people discuss
SAN's ?. I'm having trouble finding info on this subject, specifically about
EMC hardware.

Thanks.

Clive.

Old December 14th 04, 09:18 PM

On 2004-12-14, Fatboy40 no wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a forum/bbs where people discuss
SAN's ?. I'm having trouble finding info on this subject, specifically about
EMC hardware.

Thanks.

Clive.

I have been considering starting one up actually... something that is
independent, and free... and not run by some big publishing group etc..
something more like arstechnica than searchstorage.com or
byteandswitch.com

Wanna help be a moderator?

dxhATyahooREMOVETHISSTUFFDOTcom
Old December 15th 04, 03:21 AM
oracle

The only forums about this sort of stuff that I'm aware of are on TekTips.
I've visited it a couple of times and there have been a couple of useful
postings.

Anything I can help you with specifically?. I work with EMC
hardware/software.

Brian.

Old December 15th 04, 10:06 AM
Fatboy40

Drink and Oracle, thanks for the offers

I'm just really researching things at the moment. I'm moving the law firm
that I work at to Exchange 2003 next year from our current e-mail system and
could probably include a SAN for it in the budget.

At the moment I trying to find out as much info as I can as I've never setup
a SAN before, it seems quite straight forward really as long as you buy
hardware that's compatible with one another.

So far it either an EMC or HP SAN however we use Dell servers and it seems
to be impossible to find info on using HP kit with Dell servers. I suppose
it's just a case of buying the right hardware e.g. HP disk array/McData
switches/Qlogic HBA's for example.

I'd like to use EMC hardware as everyone I know who uses it says it's easily
the best however I do have to consider the price (I could save money going
for a SATA SAN but there's no way I'd reccomend that solution to any serious
business).

Clive.

. ..

Old December 15th 04, 02:37 PM
Cappy

You should think about using refurbished equipment for your SAN it will
cut the cost by more than 70 percent, and still comes with all the same

Old December 15th 04, 03:45 PM
Fatboy40

Joe,

I'm in the U.K. so I'm afraid you couldn't help. I didn't think about refurb
kit however a quick search on Google returned only a couple of people in the
UK who do this and the kit they sell is quite old EMC stuff.

oups.com...
warranties as if it was brand new. Take a look at www.bltrading.com

Old December 15th 04, 07:09 PM
Cappy

Hi we work with other companies in the UK so if want a price quote I
can get one for you just email me at jcaparrotta AT bltrading.com and
and we will help you out.

Fatboy40 wrote:
Joe,

I'm in the U.K. so I'm afraid you couldn't help. I didn't think about

refurb
kit however a quick search on Google returned only a couple of people

in the
UK who do this and the kit they sell is quite old EMC stuff.

"Cappy" wrote in message
oups.com...
You should think about using refurbished equipment for your SAN it

will
cut the cost by more than 70 percent, and still comes with all the

same
warranties as if it was brand new. Take a look at

www.bltrading.com

Old December 16th 04, 03:16 AM
Wolf

[...]

ATA is tier-2 storage. That being said, and since we are on a beer budget,
we
have purchased a lot of ATA storage this last year and a half to be topped
off
with 30TB more by the end of the month. We chew up disk storage like crazy.
They have more issues than fibre drives but since we have a good support
contract
we have had good results.

We have just purchased and EMC CX700 w/ 30TB of ATA. We have been
testing a CX500 for the last 3 months in our environment and found it fast
and
reliable. We lost one drive early on-not bad for a SAN that lives being
beaten
up 24x7.

--
Wolf
Please post all responses to UseNet. All email cheerfully and automagically

Old December 16th 04, 06:11 AM
flux

In article ,
"Wolf" wrote:

ATA is tier-2 storage. That being said, and since we are on a beer budget,

Here we go again.
Old December 16th 04, 10:23 AM
Fatboy40

Wolf,

For the SAN newbie would you care to expand on this ?.

I sense there's been a long running arguement in c.a.s over this