Warranty Length Not Related To Drive Life?

Old July 28th 04, 02:16 AM
Hobblenob

Even if manufacturers over time might be able to cut corners such that a
drive would often fail in its second year without too much risk of
first-year failures, it seems unlikely that the cost savings could make up
for the resulting bad publicity.

That may not matter. The corporate
world-view is often only 3-6 months.

"If you haven't shown tangible results
on the P&L in six months, someone
else gets your job."

For managers with the authority to
make such cost-of-manufacture/durability tradeoff decisions, the inevitable bad
publicity may be outside their window of fiscal reality. If they cut costs,
even
at the expense of real-world mtbf,
the difference shows up on the balance
sheet immediately, while they may be working somewhere else by the time the
bill for that decision comes due.

How many times in how many different
corners of the industry have you seen
this before?

Old July 28th 04, 03:14 PM
chrisv

"Rod Reaugh" wrote:

"Bill Todd" wrote in message

"RodReaugh" wrote:

Has anyone ever heard anyone claim that the length of a HD's warranty was
simply a marketing and price point decision by the mfg and the warranty
length has nothing to do with expected drive life? Somewhere I think I
remember someone making such a claim and a bunch of trolls tried
unsuccessfully to shoot him down?

As usual your pompous jibber below says little.

The deal is that HD warranties were ALWAYS a marketing and price point
decision and had little to do with expected HD life. Since the 1 year and 3
year warranty HDs ALREADY had an expected life of over 5 years.

Which is what he said, idiot.

Classic RonnieRetard - attack someone even when they are in agreement!

Wacko jibber snipped.

Old July 28th 04, 03:52 PM
Jesper Monsted

chrisv wrote in
:

Wacko jibber snipped.

Shouldn't the post be empty, then? There's nothing but wacko ranting coming
from the ronnie-beast.

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 28th 04, 09:15 PM
Monster

marketing ploy or not customers benefit by being able to send dead drives
back for a new one instead of forking out money again to get another flaky
hd. bottom line is a 5 year warranty beats the **** out of a 1 year warranty

Old July 28th 04, 10:32 PM
Impmon

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:15:31 GMT, "Monster"
wrote:

marketing ploy or not customers benefit by being able to send dead drives
back for a new one instead of forking out money again to get another flaky
hd. bottom line is a 5 year warranty beats the **** out of a 1 year warranty

True. And in the past when I tried to exchange the dead drive with a
new one, they often send a bigger hard drive. Long ago I had Maxtor
5.6GB that went south. Got it RMA'ed and they sent me 20GB. A few
years ago, it died. Got it RMA'ed (since the warranty on 20GB was
from date of manufacture and not from the 5.6's original warranty) and
they sent me a 100GB. That one outlasted the warranty before it died.

Maxtor used to be good before but now they sell garbage. :/

Anyway even if in 5 years your 250GB drive goes south and there are
faster and better drive on the market, get it exchanged anyway because
the replacement drive may be the better one.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Old July 29th 04, 12:41 AM
Jesper Monsted

Impmon wrote in
:
Maxtor used to be good before but now they sell garbage. :/

Maxtor used to be the absolute worst **** money could buy, then they got
very good, but are losing quality again, it seems.

Anyway even if in 5 years your 250GB drive goes south and there are
faster and better drive on the market, get it exchanged anyway because
the replacement drive may be the better one.

Or use the 250 as boot drive when Windows 2008 needs 200+ GB disk space to
install

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 29th 04, 01:31 AM
Malcolm Weir

wrote:

marketing ploy or not customers benefit by being able to send dead drives
back for a new one instead of forking out money again to get another flaky
hd. bottom line is a 5 year warranty beats the **** out of a 1 year warranty

True. However, I rarely by warranties in isolation, and the HDD with
1 year warranty may beat the **** out of the HDD with the 1 year
warranty for whatever reason you bought the HDD in the first place!

Malc.
Old July 29th 04, 01:54 AM
PM

Maxtor used to be the absolute worst **** money could buy, then they got
very good, but are losing quality again, it seems.

Are you talking about the IDE drives or SCSI drives. My experience of the
IDE drives is that, if they last, they are very good. Regards the SCSI
drives though, they always appear to be rated very highly - I have a few
10K3 drives and I was considering sticking with Maxtor for a forthcoming
upgrade. Are there problems with the current 15K offerings?

Thanks in advance for any feedback here.

PM

Old July 29th 04, 02:57 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Malcolm Weir" wrote in message
True. However, I rarely by warranties in isolation, and the HDD with
1 year warranty may beat the **** out of the HDD with the 1 year
warranty for whatever reason you bought the HDD in the first place!

Hmm, it sounds like you're into self mutilationg.

Old July 29th 04, 09:17 AM
Jesper Monsted

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in news:bQYNc.344282
:

"Malcolm Weir" wrote in message
True. However, I rarely by warranties in isolation, and the HDD with
1 year warranty may beat the **** out of the HDD with the 1 year
warranty for whatever reason you bought the HDD in the first place!

Hmm, it sounds like you're into self mutilationg.

It sounds like he's into getting the right solution for the job instead of
just going for budget. I don't mind getting a fairly short warranty period
on the HDS gear and paying for the support afterwards.

--
/Jesper Monsted