Looking for non-gamer video card

Old July 28th 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Josh

Default Looking for non-gamer video card

Been a few years since last built a PC (pre- pci-e).

Building new computer for a non-gamer. Will do some limited video
editing. Intel 820 cpu, Intel 945 mobo. 1 gb RAM.

Looking for around $50-55 range. 128mb RAM onboard at least.

bit confused though, for example this card (which happens to be the
cheapest)

I see that a lot of the cheap cards are half-size........is there a
reason for that? I know a slimline case (or whatever they're called)
would need one, but is there any other reason?

And, the cable connecting the D-SUB and DVI, I assume they are for
dual monitors? With the cable connecting them together, it definetly
looks 'cheap' (which it is, of course). Or is that just for the
'feed' from the D-SUB to get to the card? If that were the case, the
cable would go to the card, not the DVI.........?

Some of these cards say S-video out, and some say HDTV, but some have
both, for the same port. How is that possible?

I like this one:

except it has heatsink only (passive). I know that if you're a gamer,
then you're need the fan, but opinions on a non-gamer needing fan?

Also, this whole "TC Supporting 512MB (On board 128MB) " deal confuses
me. I assume that this computer/this purpose, that I'll have 128mb
straight out of the box, no problems. But how do you get 512mb? Does
it 'steal' some system memory? Or uses onboard hardware/overclocking
to accomplish it?

Anyways, thanks,
Josh
Old July 28th 06, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Wendell

Inline
And? AGP or PCI-E ?

"Josh" kirjoitti
om...
Been a few years since last built a PC (pre- pci-e).

Building new computer for a non-gamer. Will do some limited video
editing. Intel 820 cpu, Intel 945 mobo. 1 gb RAM.

Looking for around $50-55 range. 128mb RAM onboard at least.

bit confused though, for example this card (which happens to be the
cheapest)

I see that a lot of the cheap cards are half-size........is there a
reason for that? I know a slimline case (or whatever they're called)
would need one, but is there any other reason?

Why use a full size card if components fit on half size? An economy
question..

And, the cable connecting the D-SUB and DVI, I assume they are for
dual monitors? With the cable connecting them together, it definetly
looks 'cheap' (which it is, of course). Or is that just for the
'feed' from the D-SUB to get to the card? If that were the case, the
cable would go to the card, not the DVI.........?

The cable does not connect the output together, it's only that the D-sub is
connected byt cable, as it would be "over the edge" on that half sized card.

Some of these cards say S-video out, and some say HDTV, but some have
both, for the same port. How is that possible?

I like this one:

except it has heatsink only (passive). I know that if you're a gamer,
then you're need the fan, but opinions on a non-gamer needing fan?

Also, this whole "TC Supporting 512MB (On board 128MB) " deal confuses
me. I assume that this computer/this purpose, that I'll have 128mb
straight out of the box, no problems. But how do you get 512mb? Does
it 'steal' some system memory? Or uses onboard hardware/overclocking
to accomplish it?

It would steal syztem memory to get to the 512MB max....

Anyways, thanks,
Josh

How about finding something like this GF 7300LE/TD/128 ? Should be about
50monetary units (euro or $)..
It is here in Finland, at least.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&modelmen u=1

--
Tumppi
=================================

Old July 29th 06, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Josh

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:18:46 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
wrote:

Inline
And? AGP or PCI-E ?

How about finding something like this GF 7300LE/TD/128 ? Should be about
50monetary units (euro or $)..
It is here in Finland, at least.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&modelmen u=1

PCI-E

That looks pretty good, just what I want, I think.
$57 + shipping at newegg.

Thanks, Josh