Defective CPU or mobo ?

Old October 14th 03, 08:07 PM
Zotin Khuma

Default Defective CPU or mobo ?

Over the past 12 months, I've built more than 30 systems based on
boxed Athlon XP processors and Asus A7N266-VM mobos, and never had any
problem until very recently. One new CPU, a 2000+ Thoroughbred, failed
completely (confirmed by cross-substitution), giving continuous
high-low BIOS beeps. Another new case, a 2400+, is harder to pinpoint
because the fault is intermittent. It has never failed during usage
but sometimes refuses to start up, sometimes silently, sometimes with
high-low beeps. Resetting the BIOS by removing the battery and
discharging the CMOS enables it to start again, even if the RTC and
BIOS settings are immediately changed to preference again. Battery is
OK and replacement makes no difference. Even just removing and
reinstalling the battery restores it without shorting the "clear"
pins. One indication : It seems to be OK as long as the BIOS time/date
is not adjusted (NOT confirmed). Hard to confirm this because the
fault sometimes takes days (hours at the least) to reappear although
this particular computer is normally turned on and off several times a
day.

At first I thought it was probably a faulty BIOS chip, but the other
dead CPU, so closely followed in time, makes me wonder. I live in a
small isolated town and get all my supplies from a city more than
500km away. My point of purchase will replace confirmed defective
products without fuss, but I'm reluctant to remove the CPU for
substitution because the AMD-recommended "thermal interface" is not
available here or with my supplier. I have normal electronic heatsink
compound but not the special AMD gunk.

I've eliminated other obvious factors like memory, power supply,
drives, etc. I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

-Zotin
Old October 15th 03, 05:38 AM
Stacey

Zotin Khuma wrote:

[...]

Given the other system gave the same beeps, I'd be leaning towards another
CPU. I've used a bunch of those boards as well and they work great.

--

Stacey
Old October 15th 03, 12:46 PM
nemo

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:38:45 -0400, Stacey wrote:

Zotin Khuma wrote:

[...]

Re-Flash the bios,Sounds like its corrupt if that dont do it then
change the board coz its faulty, Simple Really :-)
Old October 20th 03, 03:15 AM
Gregory Toomey

It was a dark and stormy night, and Zotin Khuma managed to scribble:

Over the past 12 months, I've built more than 30 systems based on
boxed Athlon XP processors and Asus A7N266-VM mobos, and never had any
problem until very recently. One new CPU, a 2000+ Thoroughbred, failed
completely (confirmed by cross-substitution), giving continuous
high-low BIOS beeps.

I have two a7n266-vm mobos revision 1.005, and a Duron 1300 & and Athlon XP 2000.
One of the CPUs does not work in one of the mobos.

There ARE timing issues that need resolving by ASUS/AMD.
And ASUS needs to get a better method of reporting errors the the old beep codes.

gtoomey

Strange mobo ID Zotin Khuma General 3 December 21st 04 06:46 PM
Shipping and defective stuff from Newegg - if you have high shipping costs this could be a nightmare [email protected] General 6 June 20th 04 09:47 PM
Weird Mobo Problem... Grativo General 7 April 17th 04 07:17 PM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM