Usin SNMP to discover storage?

Old October 9th 03, 11:58 PM
babak

Default Usin SNMP to discover storage?

Hi
Is it possible to use SNMP to discover storage devices in a SAN?
Thanks
Old October 10th 03, 12:36 AM
Nik Simpson

babak wrote:
Hi
Is it possible to use SNMP to discover storage devices in a SAN?
Thanks

Depends, some storage devices have MIBs, others don't.

--
Nik Simpson

Old October 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Arne Joris

babak wrote:
Hi
Is it possible to use SNMP to discover storage devices in a SAN?
Thanks

FC switches generally support SNMP and some form of the FE-MIB
(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2837.txt). It will allow you to query the switch
for the WWN and type of devices attached to it, so in some sorts by doing SNMP
to the switch, you can discover all fabriced storage devices. You won't be able
to get any scsi stats such as disk size from that though...

But don't expect it to work for any old switch claiming to support the FE-MIB;
in my experience each vendor likes to promote their MIB first and support for
the official one is marginal, although it has improved a lot in the last years.

Note that I'm talking about SNMP over UDP/IP. Theoretically you could do SNMP
in-band (over FC that is), but I haven't heard of any device actually supporting
this. So your first problem would be : how do I discover all the switches over IP...

Arne

Old November 5th 03, 07:16 AM
mrl

I would advise taking a look at BrightStor SAN Designer.

It will go out and discover devices using SNMP / Bluefin CIM (old name) and
other methods; and then import it into a visio diagram. You can then adjust
and validate configurations and build them. I have been using this for over
a year - since it was Netreon SAN designer. Definitely worth a look - great
for managing the tech ops side of a SAN environment.

-mrl