PC base unit with XP home for under £200.00 inc. VAT and delivery ...

Old January 30th 05, 11:32 AM
Bal

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..

Bloody hell, the world of Windows has gone totally crazy now if a
Celeron 2.6GHz is seen as a 'starter system', that's only useful for
internet and office work.

Where's all that processing power going?

tell me about it, reason I said that was down to the 256mb of RAM and
onboard graphics which can only be upgraded via the PCI slots as there is no
AGP slot. In truth I'm sure the PCs of a few years back will most likely
still be able to cut the mustard as demonstrated by my daughter's P3 866Mhz
but I'm afraid I'm guilty of jumping on the upgrade bandwagon even though
it's not 100% necessary. At this rate the landfill sites are going to be
seriously overflowing.

Bal

Old January 30th 05, 11:33 AM
Colin Wilson

Also do these machines come with WinXP Home CD or are they supplied with
some sort of restore CD?

Usually the full hit XP Home CD per a Dell newsgroup, but I haven`t had
need to try it on ours (yet :-} )

Old January 30th 05, 11:34 AM
Colin Wilson

Also do these machines come with WinXP Home CD or are they supplied with
some sort of restore CD?

Oh, I forgot to add - they usually have a "hidden partition" of around
3Gb that can do an instant restore to factory settings if it all goes
****-shaped. I think you press ALT-F11 when booting up. Not sure whether
this would incur data loss of the users' files / docs though.

Old January 30th 05, 11:35 AM
Bal

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Also do these machines come with WinXP Home CD or are they supplied with
some sort of restore CD?

Usually the full hit XP Home CD per a Dell newsgroup, but I haven`t had
need to try it on ours (yet :-} )

I think it checks the bios and hence will only work on a Dell machine.

Bal

Old January 30th 05, 01:29 PM
Mike Tomlinson

In article , SteveH
writes

Where's all that processing power going?

It's running the "pretty" bits in 'doze exPee...

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Old January 30th 05, 02:44 PM
NDB

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Also do these machines come with WinXP Home CD or are they supplied with
some sort of restore CD?

Oh, I forgot to add - they usually have a "hidden partition" of around
3Gb that can do an instant restore to factory settings if it all goes
****-shaped. I think you press ALT-F11 when booting up. Not sure whether
this would incur data loss of the users' files / docs though.

Thanks for that Colin.

Bit confused though ... You mentioned that the machines are supplied with
the full XP CD and that there is the hidden partition to restore to factory
settings. Why would one need both. Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.

Thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old January 30th 05, 04:05 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Chris wrote:

"NDB" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know where I can get something like this please?

Many thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

From http://hotukdeals.com/
Dell Dimension 3000 with a 17" CRT monitor for only £186.92 including VAT
and delivery.

Specs:
2.6GHz Celeron 533FSB
256mb DDR RAM
CDRW/DVD drive
40GB hdd
Windows XP
17" CRT Monitor

HTH

Chris D.

Looks OK, but would be infinitely better with 512mb.
Old January 30th 05, 05:02 PM
Colin Wilson

Bit confused though ... You mentioned that the machines are supplied with
the full XP CD and that there is the hidden partition to restore to factory
settings. Why would one need both. Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.

The hidden partition holds drivers specific to the machine, so while you
can do a full reinstall from the supplied CD (wiping the hidden partition
if you want to), its there to let you get back to a working system in a
hurry if things go badly wrong.

Some people don`t like the idea of having it on there, but given the
amount of problems Windows can give you, I think its a bloody good bit of
lateral thinking personally !

Old January 30th 05, 06:51 PM
Tony Gartshore

In article 41FD0635.73BB9BE2@sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssiz efitter.com,
says...

Looks OK, but would be infinitely better with 512mb.

So buy it and put some more memory in it.. Sheesh..

T.
--
Please Tony, NO!! You'd look dreadful in a basque and fishnets..
Old January 30th 05, 07:03 PM
NDB

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Bit confused though ... You mentioned that the machines are supplied

with
the full XP CD and that there is the hidden partition to restore to

factory
settings. Why would one need both. Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.

The hidden partition holds drivers specific to the machine, so while you
can do a full reinstall from the supplied CD (wiping the hidden partition
if you want to), its there to let you get back to a working system in a
hurry if things go badly wrong.

Some people don`t like the idea of having it on there, but given the
amount of problems Windows can give you, I think its a bloody good bit of
lateral thinking personally !

Excellent. Thanks for the info Colin.