Don't buy from overclockers.co.uk

Old October 30th 03, 05:41 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

"mark S" wrote in message
om...

I think the manager was completely out of order calling you a 'git'...

I think he should have used the term 'prick'.

g.

Old October 30th 03, 06:50 PM
Andrew Bell

Parent:
Earlier Fat Freddy's Cat ] uttered:
"mark S" wrote in message
om...
As a backup I mentioned it was within my rights to
return this product under the distance selling act and then
purchasethis product from them again.

It is also their right to refuse any offer you make to purchase kit
from them.

g.

with their reputation, i wouldn't be dissapointed.

--
Andrew
The above address IS valid but will go straight to my spambin. If you

Old October 30th 03, 08:15 PM
SLP

"Doop!" wrote in message
news
"mark S" wrote in message
om...
I am building my own PC

snip
Mark

my barclaycard offers a 90 day price promise (not sure if it includes pc
components), you should give your cc company a call and see if they will
refund it.

I've never understood why more people don't use a Barclaycard when buying
online. Under their Price Promise, if you find an identical item for sale
cheaper within two months, they'll refund the difference without any hassle.

I bought a Athlon 2800+ from Ebuyer in August and a few days before the two
months were up, saw an advert for PC World selling the same processor for
£20 quid cheaper. After a quick phone call to Barclaycard and a few minutes
filling out the subsequent forms, I received the £20 refund. Simple.

A Barclaycard also comes in handy when you need to buy something urgently,
as you can purchase it locally form the High Street and then price match it
against an online vendor.

You also get a free one year extra extended warranty and accidental damage
and theft cover for two months.

Nope, never did understand why more people don't use one.

SLP

Old October 30th 03, 08:48 PM
Chris Howells

SLP wrote:

I bought a Athlon 2800+ from Ebuyer in August and a few days before the two
months were up, saw an advert for PC World selling the same processor for
£20 quid cheaper. After a quick phone call to Barclaycard and a few minutes
filling out the subsequent forms, I received the £20 refund. Simple.

Intriguing. So I can buy, say, a 180GB hard disk now for around £100, and
since it will
invariably have come down in price to maybe £80 within the 60 days
Barclaycard
quote I can get the money back.

Somehow I can't see this price promise applying to computer components for
much
longer if more people cotton on to this.

Cheers,
Chris Howells

Old October 30th 03, 08:59 PM
SLP

"Chris Howells" wrote in message

Intriguing. So I can buy, say, a 180GB hard disk now for around £100, and
since it will
invariably have come down in price to maybe £80 within the 60 days
Barclaycard
quote I can get the money back.

Somehow I can't see this price promise applying to computer components for
much
longer if more people cotton on to this.

Cheers,
Chris Howells

That's exactly what I did when I upgraded a couple of months ago -
deliberately bought the more expensive processor, knowing that it would drop
in price. It has to be a branded item though, not generic.

I think only a small percentage of people with a Barclaycard know about the
Price Promise, let alone actually use it, so I can't see them stopping or
limiting the service anytime soon.

As far as I'm concerned, there really is no good reason not to use one.

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/Card_Benefits/index.html

SLP

Old October 30th 03, 11:27 PM
Alec

I have just received today a Pioneer DVD Writer that I ordered on line
yesterday morning from Overclockers which was a surprise as I received an
e-mail saying the payment hadn't been authorised because I had put the wrong
expiry date when I ordered it so I rang them at 4:30 yesterday and gave them
the correct date and the payment cleared. The item was delivered this
morning at 9:15am, I call that good service and will have no problem with
using them again.
Alec

Old October 30th 03, 11:46 PM
simon

I made the mistake of buying from here too
Never again....

On 30 Oct 2003 01:42:55 -0800, (mark S)
wrote:

I am building my own PC and needed a CPU last week I noticed
Overclockers were the only online retailerto be offering the Intel
Pentium 4 3.2GHz (800FSB) for £353.23 (including delivery and VAT)
(they received stock of these CPU's on Monday) I received my chip on
the Wednesday. On the same day I noticed the price had dropped
again,this time to £325.22 if only I had waited 3 days I could have
saved £28!Normally I would not be to bothered but when a price drops
so soon after an early price drops I feel slightly aggrieved.

I decided to ask the "nice" people at Overclockers to refund the
difference as a good will gesture, I mean surely this was the same
batch of CPU's they took hold of on Monday, and were just trying to
undercut some of theircompetitors who had recently introduced the
price reduction.As a backup I mentioned it was within my rights to
return this product under the distance selling act and then
purchasethis product from them again. (Mr postman will be happy about
this)

I decided to phone them to discuss my options, (I had sent an email in
the morning with no response)The guy I spoke to went to seek
assistance from the "boss" it appears he forgot to put me on hold.I
didn't remember everything the manager said, here are some bits I
remember:"Is he being abusive??""he is threatening to send the goods
back unless we refund the difference, GIT! "That's the only part I
really remember as I was not "abusive" once and calling me a "git"
isn't partially nice.

I am only doing what 99% of people would do and I am sure you would so
the same if you were in my shoes.It would be nice to have a reply from
the Manager or even a phone call you have my work telephone number.I
probably wont send it back now as I really don't want to cause your
manager any more heart ache, perhaps with the £20 you could buy a
"Lucent" phone I hear their hold buttons are extremely effective

Mark

(this is a post I put on the overclockers forum lasted about 3 minutes
before they deleted it )

Old October 31st 03, 12:23 AM
Andy

You placed an order and accepted the price shown on their website when you
placed the order, they charged you that price, and they shipped the goods.
The fact that the price dropped a couple of days after you received the
order is just bad luck. They're under no legal obligation to refund the
difference. Regardless of how it was handled by them, you've got a fair
amount of nerve to be posting not to buy from a company simply because they
won't agree to an unreasonable demand that you're making.

Old October 31st 03, 02:07 AM
nigel. carron

In message , bigbrian
writes
If it had been something like memory, and the price had gone up
immediately after you bought it, would you have contacted them offering
to pay the higher price?

But would he be a "GIT" then?