ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old November 19th 05, 04:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

hi all,

thinking of buying but have a question i would like to also use this
as a mail server of sort - since outlook & oe won't allow mail fils &
pst files to e stored on network drives, is it possible to somehow keep
a master file on the nas that can be used to sync local files?

does anyone have any advice with this?

Thomas wrote:
I found the problem.

In order to use the FTP server function of the NAS, you have to give
it a fixed address, which I did. The gateway needs to be set to the
router address, which I got from my base station utility. Trouble is
that the address given to me by the base station is an outside
address, on the public side of the network. After re-reading the
manuals, FAQs on the site, searching forums, etc... I figured out
that the NAS needs the private address of the router which is
192.168.1.1. Once entered, boom it's working perfectly!

This question has plagued me for 2 weeks. I started this ordeal as a
kinda "plug it in and pray it works" kinda guy. OK, maybe not that
bad but I have learned sooo much about networking since then. Thanks
for your help.

PS, this NAS is pretty cool for $70.

Old November 21st 05, 03:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

^

you can put your outlook pst file on the NAS, the only problem you
will have is the EOF bug that still hasnt been fixed. thus you will
need to repair the pst file reguarly.

you just map a network drive to the folder where the pst file is
located.

I would avoid buying one of these NAS as they still havent finished
the firmware.

Old November 21st 05, 10:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

I have an Argosy HD363N which I had upgraded to the Tritton Firmware
5-0607 originally (which worked fine), and then attempted to upgrade
to the Tritton Firmware 6-1013 last week. After attempting to
upgrade the firmware, it appears as though the attempt failed (after
about 5 minutes of waiting for the web interface to refresh, I
recycled the power of the device). I am unable to connect into the
device using the default IP address (http://169.254.0.1).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If the firmware is hosed, is there any way to recover it so that the
NAS device can be usable again?

If not, am I still able to access the data on the drive by hooking it
up to an external USB drive case?

If all is lost, is anyone interested in buying a HD363N for cheap!

Thanks.

~Syldan

Old November 22nd 05, 04:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

You need to use Internet Explorer to update the firmware.
If you use Firefox, it will look like it is uploading, and then just
hang waiting to restart. The firmware does not get updated, the IP
does not change. It is as if you had not done anything. Try the old
IP and see what happens.

To reset the NAS, turn it off for at least 30 seconds. When you turn
it on, hold the power button down for 15 seconds. The front led will
blink red. Once it turns green it is done resetting, and you can
release the button.

If it is set to a specific IP, it will almost certainly be the old one
you had in it before this started. If it has been reset to default, it
will try to get an IP via DHCP and will use 192.254.0.1 only if that
fails. Probably what is happening is it is getting a different IP via
DHCP, and you don't know what it is.

I have a cable modem/router that acts as a DHCP server for my home
network. When I first plugged my NAS in, I could not find it's
address till I looked in the router's configuration web page. One of
the things you could see was the DHCP lease table, which showed the
IP Addresses it had given out. It was easy to see the one for the NAS
because the name was something like - SIMPLE NAS some numbers -

If that does not work, you need to isolate a network segment that has
only one computer and the NAS on it. Configure the computer's NIC to
use a fixed IP of 192.254.0.0 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
boot everything up, and the NAS should be on the default IP, since
there is no DHCP server in this set up.

If none of the above work, you may well have bricked your NAS.

Good luck
Your mileage may vary
Some settling may occur during transport
Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear

Old November 22nd 05, 07:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Also:

The NAS formats the drive FAT-32, so you should be able to take the
drive out of the NAS, put it on an internal IDE or in an external USB
box and be able to read it, as long as the USB box is able to support
a drive of the capacity you are using.

I have read somewhere of people putting preformatted FAT-32 drives
into the NAS and not being able to use it till it was reformatted
using the NAS, so if you write to it outside the NAS, you might not
be able to put it back into the NAS and have it work properly. When
you look at the drive's contents outside the NAS, you will see the
Public directory that the NAS formatting creates, as well as a couple
of NAS control files at the root level of the drive. Possibly writing
/ formatting outside the NAS does not handle these control files
properly.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

I just got my HD363N Network Storage Enclosure with 250gb HDD,
everything seems to be working well except the fact that i i can't
log on to the folders i create with the given passwords. i'm only
able to log on with 1 user that i created through windows.

I'll appreciate it if anyone can run me through the whole precess.

Thanx in advance.

Old November 24th 05, 06:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

To set up a folder:
1. Log in to the NAS's configuration web interface. This is the same
place you set up the IP Address and format the drive.
2. Select the Folder Share page from the list on the left.
3. This will show you a list of the root level folders that have been
set up. Each root level folder will appear as a Windows Network
Share. By default, a single folder, Public, is set up when you format
the dirve. If the folder does not have a password, dashes will show in
the password column. If it has a password, asterisks will show up in
the password column.
4. To create a new folder, select the [Create Folder] button and enter
the name for the new folder. This will create a new root level folder
without a password.
5. To add a password, select the desired folder form the list, and
select the [Password] button, and enter the desired password twice.

This method is the only way to create new root level folders that show
up as shares. You should not be able to create new root folders by
accessing the NAS from Windows Explorer or FTP, but only be able to
create new folders underneath one of the root level folders.

You can access the folder in a variety of ways.

In Windows Explorer, under Network Neighborhood (W98) or My Network
Places / Computers Near Me (2k), the NAS will appear as a computer,
and the root folders will appear as shares underneath. When you first
try to open one of the shares that has a password, you will be asked
for a password (W98) or a user ID and Password (2k). As the share
does not have a user ID, any will do. Enter the correct password.

In Windows Explorer you can mount a SHARE as a lettered drive. NOT the
whole NAS, but one of the root folders in the NAS.
1. In Windows Explorer, use the Menu Item Tools/Map Network Drive.
2. Enter \\NASName\RootFolderName
3. Say [OK]
4. If the folder has a password you will be asked for a password (W98)
or a user ID and Password (2k). As the share does not have a user ID,
any will do. Enter the correct password.

I generally use the Network Neighborhood / Computers Near Me method to
access the NAS, as it seems to work better. Once the drive has gone to
sleep, clicking on a subdirectory under Network Neighborhood /
Computers Near Me wakes it up just fine. If you do the same from a
mounted lettered drive, sometimes you have trouble accessing the
subdirectories, untill you have accessed them under Network
Neighborhood.

Old November 24th 05, 07:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

To set up a FTP account:
1. Log in to the NAS's configuration web interface. This is the same
place you set up the IP Address and format the drive.
2. Select the FTP Service page from the list on the left.
3. This will show a list of the FTP Accounts that have been set up.
Initialy there are none and FTP is disabled.
4. In the FTP Server section, select the Enable radio button. Leave
the port at 21, and select the [Apply] button. This turns on the FTP
Server
5. Select [Add Account] and enter the User ID for the new FTP Account.
This will create a new account with no password that has read only
access, but can access none of the folders in the NAS.
6. Select the account you just created from the list and hit [Modify
Account]
7. Enter the desired password.
8. Leave it enabled. Note you can disable an account here without
deleting all the other setup information
9. Select whether it should have Read Only or Read/Write access
10. Specify which folders it should be able to access. The list of
available root folders is shown on the right. selecting one and
clicking [Add] moves it to the list on the left of shares accessible
by the account. The [Delete] button performs the opposite action.
11. Hit the [Modify] button at the top to save the changes you have
made.

You can also set up one anonymous FTP Account. From the FTP Service
page, select the [Anonymous] button. Setting up the account is the
same as a regualr account except for the User ID and Password, which
an anonymous account does not have.

To access the NAS via FTP, use the following:
Host: IP Address of the NAS
Port: 21 or whatever you changed the FTP port to in the NAS
Logon Type: Anonymous or Normal
User: NAS FTP Account Name, or e-mail address if anonymous
Password: Account Pasword or "anonymous" if anonymous

Old November 27th 05, 09:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

I purchased the HD363N Network Storage and the firmware version was
NetHDD004-0317 .The harddisk is a seagate 160Gb ST3160021A.
I use the NAS as a backup facility. So pretty straightforward IO.
I experienced the known bugs of corrupted files and disconnects using
FTP and a Wireless station.

So I decided to upgrade to the latest firemware NetHDD006-1013.

All above mentioned bugs are saved and speed has increased. But I face
a new problem
every time I shut down the NAS and start it up it will tell me the
harddisk is not formatted. And I have to format it again to get it
going. But all data is lost.

If i switch back to the old firmware NetHDD004-0317 the old bugs are
back and the NAS works normal if is it is shutted down and restarted

can somebody help?
thanks

Old November 28th 05, 12:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Can't help with the post above.

Since moving to the latest firmware, I am able to use Instant Backup
getting a consistant 64MB per min.

Using Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless router, with the NAS connected Wired
in another room.