Utility to password protect folders?

Old September 20th 09, 12:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian R

Default Utility to password protect folders?

Hi

A friend who writes for a living is looking for a utility which can
password protect folders.

Ive done a Google search and found a number of techy tricks which are a
just a step too far for her in terms of ease of use.

I tried the trick of sending to a compressed (zip) file but all too
often it complained about invalid characters in the path or filename.

So I'd like to suggest a utility which has a proven track record.

Does anyone have experience of using any that you would recommend?

Thanks for your time and any info.

Ian
Old September 20th 09, 12:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Ian R wrote:
Hi

A friend who writes for a living is looking for a utility which can
password protect folders.

Ive done a Google search and found a number of techy tricks which are a
just a step too far for her in terms of ease of use.

I tried the trick of sending to a compressed (zip) file but all too
often it complained about invalid characters in the path or filename.

So I'd like to suggest a utility which has a proven track record.

Does anyone have experience of using any that you would recommend?

Google "TrueCrypt"! And you should have asked in Usenet group
alt.comp.freeware!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.7
Old September 20th 09, 05:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ato_Zee

A friend who writes for a living is looking for a utility which can
password protect folders.

I use Kremlin, Blowfish mode, with a long UC, LC, numeric and
punctuation passphrase for my most sensitive (eg banking) stuff.
Or with a shorter key for more trivial but still sensitive stuff
(eg address book), .
Start a long key with something like I'm going 2 and add the
rest yourself. I has the I in UC, some LC, a numeric, and a
punctuation character. Just don't forget the phrase, or key.
Or which key goes with which files. If you write it
down and the PC and the key get nicked, the
encryption is worthless.
Other possibilities are on the fly encrypt and decrypt
like Drive Crypt.
Old September 22nd 09, 08:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

What's wrong with the logon password and NTFS permissions?
Passwords alone don't protect a stolen notebook, use a virtual encrypted drive.

m...

Old September 24th 09, 11:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Eric Gisin wrote:
What's wrong with the logon password and NTFS permissions?
Passwords alone don't protect a stolen notebook, use a virtual encrypted
drive.

TrueCrypt works on both Window$ and Linux.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.7
^ ^ 18:29:01 up 6 days 6:44 2 users load average: 1.16 1.26 1.30
Old September 24th 09, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ato_Zee

What's wrong with the logon password and NTFS permissions?

You need to encrypt individual folders or files with strong
encryption, such a Blowfish with a long passphrase.
Even then there are those who back up their files before they
are encrypted.
Old September 26th 09, 02:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:55:45 GMT, "Ato_Zee"
wrote:

What's wrong with the logon password and NTFS permissions?

You need to encrypt individual folders or files with strong
encryption, such a Blowfish with a long passphrase.

Using NTFS encryption, how do you allow someone to backup copy of the
encrypted data without having any access to the data besides encrypted
bits, the directory graph, and the size of the individual files?

Also, if a make a "password reset disk" on one system can I use
the "password reset disk" on another system so that I can get
back my files that I can't get back on the original system
since it is dead and all I have are the data disk?