What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 16th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Thus spaketh Richard Colton:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message . uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i
go up the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys,
comet, homebase will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be
well ****ed

On 16 Apr 2006, Jackie
Greenjackie.green@removethisifyouwantmeblueyonder .co.uk wrote:

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening
hours a

 Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on
opening

 Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and
6pm Easter Sunday - closed

Easter Sunday = closed is more like what I remember. Maybe stores
are taking their chances more and more these days by opening at
times when they really should not be.

Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be
able to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special
day.

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that
is religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many
shoppers? Why can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for
twenty four hours?

It's not important to me, so why should I lose out, why shouldn't I be
allowed to work that day?

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 16th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
[...]

Must be an immigrant

Old April 16th 06, 06:51 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

D.

Old April 16th 06, 08:33 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

David Wright wrote:

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a
Sunday like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able
to shop just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

Geez, what did you do 15 years ago when all shops were closed on Sundays,
and some shops even closed at noon on Saturdays? Must have really panicked
you!

I reckon there is no more money to go round with 7-day opening - people just
spread their shopping over more days - if all shops closed on Sundays again,
I wonder if it would affect takings?

If a law was introduced that banned *all* stores from opening on Sunday,
everyone's takings would remain more or less as they are now. I've done
exercises in opening stores on Sundays and found it makes very little
difference to the overall weekly sales - as you say, it just spreads
spending over 7 rather than 6 days. The same applies to extended opening
hours, too.

Unfortunately, as shopping hours are largely deregulated in this
country, there's no retailer out there who'd take a chance on moving
back to sensible opening hours and closing on Sundays, as the big chains
such as Tesco would still open longer hours and on Sunday, meaning there
is a commercial advantage in doing so.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 16th 06, 09:44 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

RiTSo wrote:

Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

Ou est le hypermarche?

--
RiTSo

Sorry, but you're all minnows! 3000 square meters is about 54.8m by 54.8m,
or about 180ft by 180ft. Not so large after all.
Old April 16th 06, 10:07 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Nobody is stopping you working on Easter Sunday.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Old April 16th 06, 11:09 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Richard Colton wrote:

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

Ah, ********. So the state is expected to uphold some religious beliefs?

Who gets to say what is "religiously important" anyway ? I could set up
my Church of Arse and declare that all seven days of the week are
religious important and demand legislation to keep everyone out of the
shops ?